Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP Quattro  (Read 140146 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Re: Sigma DP Quattro
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »

Of course the question we really want answered is when will we be able to buy them and at what price?
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

The Ute

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »

Of course the question we really want answered is when will we be able to buy them and at what price?

Maybe after the upcoming Japan show ?

Rand47

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »

For you guys :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFdDblbHmRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JJrn66A80

Hulyss,

"They had me at hello..." with these videos!  And, far from being critical of the body shape, I almost literally cannot wait to get my hands on one of these beasts.  I only hope RRS will make an ingenious L-plate for them.  With Quentin, the obvious question for me is "is the IQ better than" the Merrill cameras.  If it is, I'm buying all three and selling my DSLR system.

Rand
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:52:20 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

RobertJ

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »

I'm psyched about these cameras.  There will be tons of comparisons to the Merrills when these bad boys come out, and I think the forums will be in a frenzy (cough, dpreview, cough).  I just hope what Sigma claims is true, that they deliver superior image quality.

Though everyone says the lenses are the same, Sigma claims everything has been redesigned, including the lenses.  If true, I hope at least the 19mm is better than the previous.  The 30mm and 50mm lenses need no improvement.

I'm starting to love this idea of mating a lens perfectly with the sensor, and buying multiple bodies, instead of lenses.  Goodbye DSLRs...

Rand47

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:19 pm »

Something not yet commented upon (that I can find) is the little sensor lens/amber dot in the lens face.
Any guesses or special insight? 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

henrikfoto

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 02:01:57 am »

Any reason why the lensese can not be bought separately to just one body?

A. Knoche

Re: AW: Re: Sigma DP Quattro
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 02:19:11 am »

Something not yet commented upon (that I can find) is the little sensor lens/amber dot in the lens face.
Any guesses or special insight? 

Rand

It's said to be the AF light.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:48 am »

I'm psyched about these cameras.  There will be tons of comparisons to the Merrills when these bad boys come out, and I think the forums will be in a frenzy (cough, dpreview, cough)...

I'm done with DPreview SIGMA forum. Ppl like to talk but not shooting and when some shoot, apart 3 or 4 ppl, this just "mhee". If they are so prone to criticism and engineering they can build their own crowd-founding campaign and build a better camera.   

I will test it vs the olds generations of DP but not to say "this one or this one is better" ... I will speak about the ergonomics and the real final results. If the files process quicker and the average IQ in the foveon league (which i'm sure of) i'll be happy but I will not complain if there is some drawbacks.

Actually, there is some very good firmware implementations such as LEVEL and HISTOGRAM in manual mode.

Every sigma camera iteration have his own rendering and mojo, that's a fact.

Meanwhile, in Japan:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140213_635032.html

PS : The battery door have a little movable part which is done for plugging the SAC 6 adapter to allow constant powering.   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:19:34 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

NancyP

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »

OK, Merrillistas - did anyone notice that the DP2M Quattro lens is a different size and a different filter size (58mm) than the current DP2M lens? It may or may not be the same optical design in a new housing.

BJL

Sigma DP Quattro: the size advantage of an integrated lens design
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 02:35:12 pm »

Any reason why the lensese can not be bought separately to just one body?
That is very much my preference, but it does seem that an integrated design can be distinctly smaller and lighter than a modular body and lens combination with the same sensor size and a lens of the same focal length(s) and maximum aperture(s). For example, the new Canon G1X Mk II combines a 5x zoom lens that reaches 62.5mm/3.9 at the long end with a slightly-larger-than 4/3" sensor in a package smaller than any comparable combination of Micro Four Thirds body and lens.

Sigma might be smart to pursue this high end compact "all-in-one" market, rather than competing head-on against the established systems of separate bodies and lenses.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:20:46 pm by BJL »

palpman

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »

I'm sooo pumped up about these cameras. This time I'll buy all three of them. My DP2M and DP3M have brought me so much joy I can't wait to try the next gen.

MrSmith27

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »

OK, Merrillistas - did anyone notice that the DP2M Quattro lens is a different size and a different filter size (58mm) than the current DP2M lens? It may or may not be the same optical design in a new housing.

Merril

Quattro

Merril

Quattro

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2014, 05:48:32 am »

On the resolution of the quattro sensor :

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Rob C

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2014, 08:42:07 am »

I'm sooo pumped up about these cameras. This time I'll buy all three of them. My DP2M and DP3M have brought me so much joy I can't wait to try the next gen.

I respectfully suggest you don't try marriage, then.

Rob C

Chris2500DK

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2014, 09:45:32 am »

On the resolution of the quattro sensor :

That chart corresponds completely with the Merrill sensor being 15mp and the Quattro being 19mp.

What's going to be more interesting is what the real-life color resolution is. The Merrill sensor has a lot more information in the lower layers, but more noise as well, and the Quattro has higher resolution in the upper layer and 1/3 resolution but less noise in the lower ones.

LKaven

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2014, 10:08:50 am »

That chart corresponds completely with the Merrill sensor being 15mp and the Quattro being 19mp.

There are so many interpretations of the word "pixel" that these interpretations are becoming increasingly hard to sort out.  It helps to keep sensels and pixels separate.

It is worth pointing out again that a 24MP bayer sensor has 24M monochrome sensels from which 24M tricolor pixel values are derived through interpolation.  You are already committed here to undertaking to exploit the natural information in the sensor layout, in terms of position, amplitude, and wavelength, in order to invent a substantial amount of data. 

The Quattro is also heavily committed to exploiting the natural information inherent in its architecture.  This is a new and information-rich architecture, and it is hard to tell at this point, lacking technical papers as we do, just how much that information can be profitably exploited.  It may well be that this camera can deliver a "believable" 40MP and a "convincing" 30MP of tricolor pixels.  I believe you might be able to Sherlock a lot of information cues from this sensor.  To be sure, the DP1/2/3 deliver more than 15M bayer sensels...somehow.

The Ute

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:37 am »

I think the new one is definitely going to be a better B/W camera but I shoot very little B/W.

Color is essential to my photography so if it happens to be not as good......

Also keep in mind that Quattro's are likely to sell for twice the price compared w a comparable Merrill.

You have to ask yourself if they will be twice as good (kind of doubt that).

In my case, I do not own a DP3 so I might get one to complete my collection IF the price is reasonable ($1000 or less).

Or I might just wait to see what the re-designed SD1 has to offer.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2014, 10:40:51 am »

I respectfully suggest you don't try marriage, then.

Rob C

Eh? One of the pleasures of eating is that one can do so over and over again although the food always turns into  s*** :)
Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

uvl

• My flickr
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2014, 11:44:14 am »

IMHO the idea is to have the same filter diameter for all three cameras. I like that.
Uwe 8-)

Gibbomik

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »

Has anyone seen the lcd screen in real life? ie does it have the same "fuzzy" look as the DP Merrills which makes difficult the use of filters? Regards
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up