Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Iconic Places. Oh what to do. Oh what to do  (Read 10914 times)

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Re: Iconic Places. Oh what to do. Oh what to do
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 09:18:53 am »

So here's an image I shot of course in Monument Valley.  I scouted this place when I was teaching the Phase One workshop.  I scouted the location several days before.  When the workshop was over we drove thru a good storm when dropping off the students at the airport.  I got my car and ran quickly back up to Monument valley, the storm produced amazing clouds.  On the way down we saw rainbows and wild looking formations in the sky.

I am in awe!!!
Tim, please do continue to post and teach. I for one truly appreciate it
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 11:42:48 am »

Thanks Roy.  I did want to add but my computer was dying last night that yes the moon was planned for that early afternoon.  When the workshop was going on two of the participants had some very apps and were able to predict within 1/2 degree of where it was coming up.  Now I'm very very technical but not when it comes to gadgets.  I thank them for the exact positioning.  My technical stays in photography, I have spent my entire life really in photography.  It was Ansel or Brett who said your only as good as your last image.  I had a similar saying when I was a professional athlete and doing my photography your only as good as your last game or race.  AS the great coach Wooden once said "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail!" 

He was so right.  My old professor said see the image on the wall, when you envisioning it or creating it.  I guess its like a puzzle (when creating and image) find the composition first, then figure out what depth of field and focus you want then pick the right focal length to give it the most dimension then what kind of lighting is going to make come alive and enhance the elements.  Last is there any special effects needed for it to go over the top.  (like fog, shading from clouds, rain, snow). 

Here is when when I was actually teaching the workshop.  I do shoot al of these usually in color also.  But thought it would be nice to BW since we all saw them by the old masters this way.  Tim Wolcott

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:20:17 pm »

Tim:  I like the low view from the tunnel. It gives a different perspective you don't really see.  Did you have to climb down from the parking lot or has the trees grown taller since I was there a while back?

The monmument valley is nice too.  Interesting objects, tones and composition.  I actual like these two better the the original you posted but they're all good. 

tim wolcott

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »

Yes I did had to climb down to shoot that image.  I did so many times to pack the snow down thru the 4 ft snow storm.  Since I had been to Yosemite so many times over the years.  I drove up before the big storm hit and scouted the locations I wanted to shoot and ranked them in order of importance.  Since snow melts very fast when the sunshine comes out.  You have to wait for exactly what you want to capture.   I didn't want to shoot what Ansel shot I wanted to create something which I think is a better location.  

That image was shot as a triple stitch and I scouted the location found exactly what I wanted and then when it snowed I packed and shoveled the snow up to get the right height and a hard surface to put my gear and tripod down on.  When I go out I have 2 tripods one 12 footed and a 7 ft.  Usually a ladder, 13 lenses 2 bodies, Phase one IQ280.  

Things haven't changed much from when we carried out 4x5 and 8x10 cameras.  I was hoping things would've gotten lighter.  The cameras are lighter but no we have more lenses and they are heavier but I like what we are shooting with today better.  Far more flexibility and creative control over the days of the film days.  Tim
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:35:24 pm by tim wolcott »

tim wolcott

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 11:48:24 pm »

This was an image when we had free time at the Phase One workshop.  My group asked me what we should be shooting.  So I said lets chase the clouds.  This is the famous Mittens you always see in the John Wayne films. 

Francesco Carucci

• Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »

The images are stunning, but the takeaway for me from this topic is your thought process. Very informative and inspiring.
Game Developer Advocate at Google
Facebook|Portfolio|Blog|Shop

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:06 pm »

The images are stunning, but the takeaway for me from this topic is your thought process. Very informative and inspiring.

Tim is a photo mutant - he has it in the genes ...  ;)

sierraman

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »

So here's an image I shot of course in Monument Valley.  I scouted this place when I was teaching the Phase One workshop.  I scouted the location several days before.  When the workshop was over we drove thru a good storm when dropping off the students at the airport.  I got my car and ran quickly back up to Monument valley, the storm produced amazing clouds.  On the way down we saw rainbows and wild looking formations in the sky.

Did you need a Indian guide to get to this location?  ???

lorenzettifoto

• Andrea Lorenzetti photographer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »

a fabulous shot

tim wolcott

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »

Yes it is in my genes.  I guess 175 years of photography builds up.  I had a photo lab in my house since I was 6 years old.  But I have to say I met some amazing and great master photographers.  But my whole life is photography out side of the time I spent as a professional sprinter.  But it helped me carry the gear up the mountains without any trouble. 

I've said this before:  Every image you see, every piece of art will inspire you to think differently.

Tim

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »

Nice dramatic shot

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 07:56:43 pm »

I think Tim has been conducting a master class for all of us in this thread. Deeply appreciated. Especially since I'm headed out there next month.

tim wolcott

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 10:42:52 pm »

Sierra man, yes you need to pay admission but then you need to get a guide if you are going back by the shot where the moon over the Totems was shot but not where the last one was taken.

When I first went here in 1985 to now they have loosened up quite a bit.  You can go so many more places.  Glad you are getting something out of them.

I highly recommend going there.  Yes its been shot a to but I do think there is a lot to learn and create great imagery.  I think as long as there are clouds you can make it happen.  Tim

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »

Tim:  About the processing.  How do you make the skies so dark?  When I convert a color digital, and move the blue slider, but I tend to get a lot of noise in the sky.  So now I'm trying a BW film 120 film Tmax 100 with a red filter to see if I can do better.  What do you think?

tim wolcott

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 11:36:15 pm »

Alan, if you using film, then yes I have used the red filters and even combinations of filters.  Just make sure you block every possible amount of light from hitting the filters surface.  I created a box I made so they could sit there without ANY possibility of light getting to it even the smallest amount.  If you have seen a snoot before it looked like that with the ability to expand and contract due to the lens used.

Digital shooting I use Capture one and the color picker combination that I developed to get exactly the look I want.  I have shown it to Capture one my concept and what I have created.  Not sure if it will be implemented.  Either way it works, its really the same idea but one is digital and solid state.  

Here is another one from the same trip.  Before I go on a trip I try to see what others have done then imagine what I would like to see.  I take out my watercolor drawing book and draw out what I want to see and envision.  I believe you envision what you want to create.  I'm a really bad drawer, so I have to label everything.  What's interesting no matter where I go I seem to find what I draw or a combination of several drawings.   Tim
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:52:01 pm by tim wolcott »

tim wolcott

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 11:25:59 pm »

This image was shot looking into the Escalante area from Dixie Nat'l Forest.  I was beta testing the IQ260 when I shot this.  It was shot from a 12 foot Gitzo tripod while I was standing on a ladder.  It took forever for the clouds to finally move into where I wanted them to sit.  I scouted the mountain side many times over the years but usually this was done in the fall.  This time it was summer and was nearly 100 degrees.  The clouds were so spiritual and enlightening that just had to sit there.  When the clouds appeared in the shot I simply waited till the shadowing on the ground covered up the ugliest areas then captured this images.  Sure with I could've shot this with fall colored trees, but is never forgiving and is always changing and creating and destroying.  Tim

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 06:56:48 am »

Tim, Are you not bothered that the sky is lighter,less contrast, on the right side?
The clouds are incredible!
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

tim wolcott

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »

No not really.  Nature does its thing.  But there is more moisture on the right side than the left.  Not a lot I can do about it because of all the extra moisture.  But good of you to observe that closely.  You can definitely see it in the color shot and it doesn't seem to be as much as a problem.  But the clouds oh yea.  Will post more.  Tim

tim wolcott

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:15 am »

Here is another one I shot while beta testing the new IQ250 back in the summer.  This one was also shot from the 12 tripod while standing on a ladder.  I finally went out to the the Temple of the Moon because the clouds were coming in.  So what a ride the road was really bad getting out there between the rains and the drifted sand over the road.  It had been a heavy drought for a long time then heavy rains and water sat on the roads.  It was good to finally get the shot I wanted.  Utah, what a great place to shoot for Black and White and Color. 

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:38 am »

Unlike the other images in this thread, which are mostly gorgeous,
I think this last shot has a problem with the  web display size.
I assume the foreground are some sand dunes or very slick rock.
I can't see any structure on it which sort of oddly separates it from the rest of the image.
Probably it works as a large print where you can clearly see the structure,
but on this small size for me it simply falls apart - which again tells me that the print
is the real thing and how limited web display is.
Cheers
~Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up