Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable release Sony Alpha 7R, no wireless  (Read 2481 times)

jsch

Cable release Sony Alpha 7R, no wireless
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »

Hi,

does anyone know whether there exists a cable release for the Sony Alpha 7R, no wireless solution. I need to trigger the shutter from an electronic circuit. My google searches left me guessing.

Thank you.

Best,
Johannes

robdickinson

Re: Cable release Sony Alpha 7R, no wireless
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:25 pm »

I believe you can , it uses the micro USB port.

Official sony product :
http://store.sony.com/remote-control-with-multi-terminal-cable-zid27-RMVPR1/cat-27-catid-All-Cameras-Alpha-DSLR-Accessories

There are knockoffs on ebay too, I think any SLT SLT-A65V, SLT-A77V, SLT-A99V release will do?

David Campbell

• David Campbell Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:08:14 am »

The RMVPR1 remote works fine with the A7R.

The connector is a micro USB with additional pins and a standard micro USB cable does not fit due to the central part of the female socket on the camera side being slightly long to accommodate the additional pins.

The Charger cable that comes with the camera also uses the same connector but is lacking most of the pins. I doubt this cable shares the same pins for the remote.

Hope that helps

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:12:16 am »

Does this mean the USB port for tethering is the same port as the cable release? And it uses a special type of connector (I.e. My 5m USB cables will not fit?)

Manoli

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:50 am »

Does this mean the USB port for tethering is the same port as the cable release? And it uses a special type of connector (I.e. My 5m USB cables will not fit?)

No. The SONY 'multi' socket may be multi, but is in fact a USB MICRO socket (as far as tethering is concerned). I've connected the camera with a bog standard USB micro cable (in fact a 15ft one) - and it connects/tethers with no problems.

One point to note, hidden in the depths of the manual,  is that to tether you need to set [ SETUP > USB connection> PC remote ] - Not AUTO.

MrSmith

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:25:55 am »

ah. thanks for the info
Pages: [1]   Go Up