Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 273   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us some Abstracts!  (Read 723628 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Show us some Abstracts!
« Reply #4520 on: June 09, 2020, 02:32:25 pm »

Vortex

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4521 on: June 09, 2020, 05:12:55 pm »

I love it!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #4522 on: June 10, 2020, 10:30:42 pm »

I love it!
It does have vibrant glow which comes to life in bw.

JR

John R

« Reply #4523 on: June 10, 2020, 10:36:40 pm »

When I was photographing in April and May, the light seemed perfect for these kinds of shots. Now that summer is almost here, the sun is higher in the sky and the shadows longer. The light just doesn't strike or appeal to me in the same way. Perhaps I will wait for later in the day, or rise very early.

JR

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:09:37 am by John R »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4524 on: June 14, 2020, 10:50:25 am »

on the water

John R

« Reply #4525 on: June 14, 2020, 12:40:13 pm »

Life squared @ 3200 ISO.

JR

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4526 on: June 14, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »

See. When you shoot with a camera and lens that are working properly you get results like this. I've got one very similar, John. Guess I'll have to dig and see if I can find it. I never thought of it as an abstract, but if you guys are sure it is, I'll cave and agree with you.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

« Reply #4527 on: June 14, 2020, 02:42:19 pm »

See. When you shoot with a camera and lens that are working properly you get results like this. I've got one very similar, John. Guess I'll have to dig and see if I can find it. I never thought of it as an abstract, but if you guys are sure it is, I'll cave and agree with you.
But I thought we agreed that in realm of photography these constitute abstracts, as long we acknowledge they are not true abstracts as in other arts. Every photographic site I know calls these abstracts. Slobadan's entries were architecture abstracts entered into an abstract catergory. See here:

https://www.thespiderawards.com/gallery/14th/amateur/abstract

Doesn't matter Russ, I would live to see anything you have that is 'kind of abstract.' Maybe you have any eye for it.

JR

RSL

« Reply #4528 on: June 14, 2020, 03:08:37 pm »

Okay, John. Here are two. I've posted them on LuLa before. I'd guess they come as close to abstract as anything I normally shoot. The woman with the cat is real street. The hallway isn't. I'm sure that if I spend some time with my catalog I'll find more that might fall into the abstract category. But that's not the kind of thing I normally do.

Chris Kern

« Reply #4529 on: June 14, 2020, 10:15:05 pm »

Life squared @ 3200 ISO.

Hmmm.  I have one of those:

View from My Chair

Frankly, I'd have trouble claiming this to be abstract, even by my rather generous definition of the term as it relates to photography.  It is, quite literally, a view from my favorite chair.  The next one, maybe.  Although it's also an unmanipulated photograph―pretty much straight out of the camera except for some unexceptional post-processing.

Window Treatment

RSL

« Reply #4530 on: June 15, 2020, 08:14:06 am »

But I thought we agreed that in realm of photography these constitute abstracts, as long we acknowledge they are not true abstracts as in other arts. Every photographic site I know calls these abstracts. Slobadan's entries were architecture abstracts entered into an abstract catergory.
JR

Hi John, The more I think about it the more I'd be inclined to call my own "abstracts" "surrealism." There is, of course, a distinct difference.

James Clark

« Reply #4531 on: June 15, 2020, 10:55:26 am »

Okay, John. Here are two. I've posted them on LuLa before. I'd guess they come as close to abstract as anything I normally shoot. The woman with the cat is real street. The hallway isn't. I'm sure that if I spend some time with my catalog I'll find more that might fall into the abstract category. But that's not the kind of thing I normally do.

I'd say those qualify. :)

James Clark

« Reply #4532 on: June 15, 2020, 12:05:57 pm »

But I thought we agreed that in realm of photography these constitute abstracts, as long we acknowledge they are not true abstracts as in other arts. Every photographic site I know calls these abstracts. Slobadan's entries were architecture abstracts entered into an abstract catergory. See here:

https://www.thespiderawards.com/gallery/14th/amateur/abstract

Doesn't matter Russ, I would live to see anything you have that is 'kind of abstract.' Maybe you have any eye for it.

JR

Lula is generally well-represented in the Spider Awards, for whatever reason :)

John R

« Reply #4533 on: June 15, 2020, 09:00:35 pm »

Hi John, The more I think about it the more I'd be inclined to call my own "abstracts" "surrealism." There is, of course, a distinct difference.
Well, if you are trying to juxtapose elements within a scene and lead the viewer to see it as "surreal', or painterly, or as impressionist, or as objects, or shapes, or as light or combination of them, rather than as how we normally see or regard such scenes, then I would say that is a kind of abstract. There you have succeeded.

JR

John R

« Reply #4534 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:09 pm »

Hmmm.  I have one of those:

View from My Chair

Frankly, I'd have trouble claiming this to be abstract, even by my rather generous definition of the term as it relates to photography.  It is, quite literally, a view from my favorite chair.  The next one, maybe.  Although it's also an unmanipulated photograph―pretty much straight out of the camera except for some unexceptional post-processing.

Window Treatment

Chris they are very nice images. I particularly like the view from the chair. However, I see the window image as an abstract, but not the view from the chair. Why, because to me the image shows a straight forward image of your rooms in the house as rooms with art. If your focus was on the corners of the room, or the shapes of the windows or how they created lights or shapes, then I would agree they are abstract. The view from the window isolates part of the tower and makes us see it, not as windows, but as shapes, tones lines and colours, even though we may recognize the true subject. The other possibility, as Russ suggested, is to depict the subject, in a surreal or other worldly manner.

We accept anything abstract or semi-abstract in the thread anyway. So post away, please!

JR

Chris Kern

« Reply #4535 on: June 15, 2020, 09:42:16 pm »

We accept anything abstract or semi-abstract in the thread anyway. So post away, please!

OK, challenge accepted.  What about these?

Shaded Window

Hibiscus

John R

« Reply #4536 on: June 16, 2020, 12:57:17 am »

OK, challenge accepted.  What about these?

[...]
Once again very nice work. Like the subtlety of the underlying "other world." Abstract, yes as we are forced to see the world in another way. Like an illusion. The flower is superb but so recognizable that we see a close up of a flower.

Doesn't matter Chris, I am not the arbiter what is abstract or semi-abstract, just giving my opinion because you asked.

JR                                   

John R

« Reply #4537 on: June 16, 2020, 01:08:31 am »

A little soft due to very high ISO and being handheld. For me the focus is on the pattern and the contrast between the blue and orange-yellow movement of the colours.

JR

RSL

« Reply #4538 on: June 16, 2020, 10:16:00 am »

Yeah. I like that one. Strikes me as a flow of colors down a drain to the left.

Chris Kern

« Reply #4539 on: June 16, 2020, 10:25:16 am »

For me the focus is on the pattern and the contrast between the blue and orange-yellow movement of the colours.

This, I think, is genuinely abstract, even by the standard I would apply to painting.  Well done.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 273   Go Up