Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circular polarizers on the Nikon 14-24  (Read 8691 times)

dwnelson

Circular polarizers on the Nikon 14-24
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:01:55 pm »

I would like to get into using circular polarizers with my Nikon 14-24.

If you have any experience with the various filter adapters and polarizers for the Nikon 14-24, I would appreciate any comments on usability, build quality and image quality of the various filters.

I am used to high quality multicoated filters and am willing to pay for a quality product.

robdickinson

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Circular polarizers on the Nikon 14-24
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:05 pm »

I use the Lee SW-150 on mine. You can put a sheet CL-PL in the Lee I use a filter from Cavision out of Canada.

Glass filter and allows the use of 1 normal Lee filter also which for me tends to be a ND filter

You have to watch for reflections with this setup mostly on the top corners.   

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lightsmith

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:59:53 pm »

You should appreciate that light rays at an angle of more than 56 degrees are not going to be affected by the polarizing filter and so you will have images with the center showing the effect of the filter but not the edges. When you consider this limitation and the need to shoot at about a 90 degree angle to the sun and the use of such a filter on the 14-24mm lens is extremely limited. I can see some value for a graduated ND filter if one is available that is large enough to work but even then there are alternatives that work better in the field.

dwnelson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:35 pm »

You should appreciate that light rays at an angle of more than 56 degrees are not going to be affected by the polarizing filter and so you will have images with the center showing the effect of the filter but not the edges. When you consider this limitation and the need to shoot at about a 90 degree angle to the sun and the use of such a filter on the 14-24mm lens is extremely limited. I can see some value for a graduated ND filter if one is available that is large enough to work but even then there are alternatives that work better in the field.

Why do you assume I would be using a polarizer to darken the sky? I would be using the polarizer to cut reflections off of water and vegetation.

Anyway, you are not answering my question, just questioning the validity of the question, which is not helping.

I have often wished I could have a circular polarizer on my 14-24, so my applications are wider than "extremely limited."

I have used polarizers on lenses up to 17mm wide (35mm equivalent) and I have been happy with the results.

I am not aware of the 56 degree limitation. Would that affect reflections off of green vegetation in a rainforest?

Finally, I can use bracketing and post-processing to achieve the same result as a graduated ND filter. I cannot replicate the effects of a polarizer in post-processing.

kholt

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:42 pm »

"Why do you assume I would be using a polarizer to darken the sky? I would be using the polarizer to cut reflections off of water and vegetation."

Ditto.  I have the same interest for my 14-24.  I would love to have a good CP solution for this.  I look forward to seeing responses to this thread to see if there is a solution that would work for me.

Keith

dwnelson

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:02:58 am »

I am becoming more interested in the Fotodiox system. They now make a multi-coated 145mm circular polarizer, in addition to their non-coated polarizer (present in the kit in the link above posted by robdickinson).

I found a decent online review of the system on a 14-24 (non-coated polarizer):

http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2012/10/fotodiox-filter-for-the-14-24

The filter looks huge and even more exposed than the front element of the 14-24. You would have to be very careful not to bump this filter.

I prefer the multi-coated filter to reduce reflections, although the price goes up considerably ($400 for the holder and multi-coated filter, vs. $270 for the "kit" with the non-coated filter).

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:07:12 am »

Fully appreciated, and fully understood.  The CL-PL for me is mainly used in stream work, where I am working to cut reflections, and glare on the water.  Usually I have a bit of sky in the shot, but not a full sky, so the effect you mention is not a problem.  On a vista, or pano shoot, I don't use the Cl-PL for the reason you mentioned.  The nice feature of the Lee setup, is you can have a ND or graduated filter in the holder also, which I find I use at times. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up