Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR Expose 3 - I like it!  (Read 6063 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: HDR Expose 3 - I like it!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 08:28:43 am »

Slightly off topic but do you who frequently use "HDR" software think that it changes your perceptions of color and light, even of scenes and situations you are not photographing?

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 10:26:07 am »

Slightly off topic but do you who frequently use "HDR" software think that it changes your perceptions of color and light, even of scenes and situations you are not photographing?

No. Haven't noticed any such phenomenon.

But maybe, at times, I do look at a scene and think, "Because of the possibility of multiple exposures and HDR processing, I will be able to produce a photograph that looks something like what my eye is seeing. Something that would not be possible without such a technique."

Because of the ability of the human eye to accommodate, almost instantaneously, to different levels of "brighness" or "dimness", what our brain processes is, in essence, a multi-exposure HDR image. We think that we are seeing, in a single glance, levels of detail in highlights and shadows that no digital camera sensor (currently) could record.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

I was asking as I remember from film shooting days that when I was shooting a lot I felt (this has to be a purely psychological/experiential phenomena) that when I was hot and heavy into an extended project I believed I could look at a scene and "see" in terms of the film stock I was using.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:57 am »

Hi Ellis,

For me it doesn't change my perception. Instead, it allows me to more accurately recreate the atmosphere of the scene as I saw it, the reason why I took it the way I did. It's a technique/tool to bend the laws of physics (HDR -> LDR) and link to the way our brain processes visual stimuli (light leading to shadows defines shape and relative position clues).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »

Thanks everyone. Some random questions on doing away with graduated ND filters. 
1.  If you're using one photo, would it be better to expose for the skies and  adjust the ground or expose for the ground and adjust the skies?  (Note that I'm using medium format positive film - Velvia).

2. If I took two film shots and exposed for each area, which program would be best assuming again I'm using film.  (Note this doesn't seem a cost effective way.  If I really like a shot, I intend to drum scan it.  I would have to do two scans in this case).

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 12:49:45 pm »

I was asking as I remember from film shooting days that when I was shooting a lot I felt (this has to be a purely psychological/experiential phenomena) that when I was hot and heavy into an extended project I believed I could look at a scene and "see" in terms of the film stock I was using.

Yes, HDR offers a way to shoot landscape subjects in harsh midday lighting, and even in exceedingly hard back lighting, and then process the image as if the ambient lighting had been pleasingly gentle.  Rich looking tonality can be imposed on scenes that would look very mudane with a single exposure.  When I'm primed and ready to go in the middle of one of the especially photogenic seasons around here, I am constantly evaluating literally hasrsh looking scenes through the gossamer veil of gentle HDR lighting.  "Waiting for the light" is now optional, thanks to HDR.  Sort of.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »

Thanks everyone. Some random questions on doing away with graduated ND filters. 
1.  If you're using one photo, would it be better to expose for the skies and  adjust the ground or expose for the ground and adjust the skies?  (Note that I'm using medium format positive film - Velvia).

2. If I took two film shots and exposed for each area, which program would be best assuming again I'm using film.  (Note this doesn't seem a cost effective way.  If I really like a shot, I intend to drum scan it.  I would have to do two scans in this case).

With transparencies, the only option is to base your exposure on the brightest areas of the scene, which would otherwise overexpose to glaring clear film base.  With a single exposure the darker ground will simply have to be what it is, which under some circumstances may be quite dark.  The opposite is true of color negative where it is best to bias the exposure somewhere towards the darker areas up to the point where the brighter sky areas start to block up on the negative.  For film work, the best HDR technique is probably to shoot color negative.  When last I used it, with some burning and dodging color negs had an effective dynamic range of perhaps 10 or more stops, versus roughly 7 stops for transparencies.  But color neg is a much different look, and generally not as pretty as transparencies, depending on the subject matter.  As I just mentioned, shooting transparencies is the game of "waiting for the light."  You arrive at the scene, then hang out with fingers crossed until an attractive lighting situation within the range of the film either does or doesn't show up, repeat as needed.

The only combining program I can recommend experience is PS.  If Elements or some other program has layers with individual adjustments, that's all you need.

HDR is kind of iffy with original files shot on film.  HDR software somewhat depends on the original exif exposure data carried in digital files, although some programs allow you to guesstimate the relative exposures at the start of the process, and Photomatix will usually just plow ahead whether it has metadata or not.  If you do drum scans the registration will probably be ok, but if you scan mounted slides the curvature of the film at the time of scanning will probably cause some registration issues which may or may not be a shot killer.

KatManDEW

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »

That pic looks good to me.

I too like realistic looking HDR's. But I've never had much luck doing it with my computer, with Lightroom to Photoshop, or any of the HDR apps, and I've shots LOTS of bracketed shots and tried HDR with the computer many many times. The HDR's almost always come out looking "flat and washed out", for lack of a better description.

I've had much better luck with the HDR feature in my 5D3. Although it only creates RGB files, and I would prefer RAW or TIFF, it does a much better job than I've ever been able to do myself with the computer.

I can't remember if I ever tried HDR Expose. I might be willing to give it a try, but I hate cluttering up my PC with downloaded apps if I don't end up using them. It would be nice for me personally if I could see some sets of bracketed shots, the resulting HDR image, and the process/settings used to create the HDR image from the bracketed shots.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 05:03:45 pm »

The only combining program I can recommend experience is PS.  If Elements or some other program has layers with individual adjustments, that's all you need.

Bill: What individual adjustment are you referring too?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 05:10:44 pm »

Oh, I agree completely. Then again, I used only 2 stocks for most of my work - TriX and Kodachrome, so I got to know them well. Once in a while, for family/vacation snaps, I used "Exaggachrome" which I am sure many of you remember.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 06:31:40 pm »

@reply #28, Alan
> Bill: What individual adjustment are you referring too?

Well I'm not Bill, but I think he means the possibility to apply one tone curve separately to each layer. - If you don't have PS or LR on beforehand and don't want to shell out for them, PhotoLine can do it (and much more) for 60 € - and no subscription... pl32.com

Good light!

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:51 pm »

Oh, I agree completely. Then again, I used only 2 stocks for most of my work - TriX and Kodachrome, so I got to know them well. Once in a while, for family/vacation snaps, I used "Exaggachrome" which I am sure many of you remember.

There were times when I shot a lot of transparencies on TLRs while on vacation, just because I thought those big colorful frames were so gorgeous. Now I kind of regret it, because I'd be able to do a lot more digitally with negative scans instead. But that certainly wasn't something I could anticipate in those days.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up