Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Down

Author Topic: So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe?  (Read 156162 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe?
« Reply #600 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »

Well I haven't seen the latest figures for AMC yet, but it's growth in the last two years has exceeded Adobe's expectations.
As have CC sales if we are to accept the stat's provided today. But in the end, what Jeff wrote was best: Trying to read tea leaves based on insider trading is for fools...
Those that predicted CC would hurt Adobe were thus far off the mark. So to answer that age old question So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe? seems at this point it's working out. So let's see what happens with the next release of financial's.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #601 on: April 01, 2014, 08:22:55 pm »

Again what parts would account for this? Lightroom? A few mobile apps? It's kind of like suggesting GM's profits were from selling car accessories instead of cars.
Did it not even occur to you to look at Adobe's rather extensive product page before posting that daft statement? 

Stock prices also follow what might happen, it's how money is made.
But in the end, what Jeff wrote was best: Trying to read tea leaves based on insider trading is for fools...
Rhossydd wasn't talking about insider trading [a completely different issue, raised by another poster which Jeff was addressing], but generally how stocks work. It's always speculation about what may happen when you buy shares. This is commonly referred to as gambling, unless stocks/shares are involved where they don't like to call it that.  ;D
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #602 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:10 pm »

To go back more specifically to the thread topic - there's the problem some foolishly claim is never a problem, online verification. A couple of weeks back CC asked me to confirm my details to allow me to continue using my software. This was about 10 days after the previous verification. No idea why, but until I reconnected I couldn't use my tools.  >:(
This is potentially a huge problem because I may be spending some time this year, where I'll have no internet access. I'll be mighty pissed off if I can't use my software because CC phones homes before it should.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #603 on: April 01, 2014, 10:42:45 pm »

To go back more specifically to the thread topic - there's the problem some foolishly claim is never a problem, online verification.
A couple of weeks back CC asked me to confirm my details to allow me to continue using my software. This was about 10 days after the previous verification. No idea why, but until I reconnected I couldn't use my tools.  >:(
This is potentially a huge problem because I may be spending some time this year, where I'll have no internet access. I'll be mighty pissed off if I can't use my software because CC phones homes before it should.

This is indeed a huge problem, and a totally needless, manufactured one.
Prime example of a pursuit for corporate greed trumping the customer service and satisfaction. Unsustainable in the long run.

chez

« Reply #604 on: April 02, 2014, 12:44:29 am »

Who really cares about the stock price or insider trading. I care about the product and I continue to enjoy using PS and Lightroom. This is a photo forum is it not?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #605 on: April 02, 2014, 01:59:36 am »

You must be talking about those April 1 stories. Don't take them seriously!

BTW, I enjoy also using LR and PS tremendously, but my copies work without any interference and hiccups. No silly online verifications, frustrations and outages.
It looks like they will work for a long time. Great products!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:25:45 am by LesPalenik »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #606 on: April 02, 2014, 04:14:37 am »

Those that predicted CC would hurt Adobe were thus far off the mark.

Hi Andrew,

Frankly, since we do not know how Adobe's financials would have worked out had there been only perpetual licenses, or both continuing perpetual licenses and subscription licenses, it is impossible to say ... Meeting or exceeding expectations may say more about the expectations rather than product penetration in certain markets.

Besides, this first year (without alternatives) obviously should show growth (which would otherwise have been regular upgrade/sales of suites) since they initially started with zero subscriptions. I also notice that Adobe have again extended their introduction pricing (it's now called 'temporary pricing which will end soon', but no end of period is mentioned). Having to lower one's prices is not a sign of success, in general.

I also received a warning from one of my suppliers that CS-6 perpetual licenses will only be available until May 31st 2014, so soon there will be also no revenue from those sales (for many as a final insurance as a contingency plan B) anymore.

Time will tell ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

stamper

« Reply #607 on: April 02, 2014, 04:55:30 am »

To go back more specifically to the thread topic - there's the problem some foolishly claim is never a problem, online verification. A couple of weeks back CC asked me to confirm my details to allow me to continue using my software. T

I think that should read .....THEIR software?

jjj

« Reply #608 on: April 02, 2014, 07:14:44 am »

I think that should read .....THEIR software?
I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

jjj

« Reply #609 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:04 am »

BTW, the PS/LR deal which 'ended' two days ago is still available.

stamper

« Reply #610 on: April 02, 2014, 07:40:20 am »

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

Was it a keyboard slip or were you trolling when you made the post? ;) ;D

chez

« Reply #611 on: April 02, 2014, 08:30:14 am »

The only time I even know the subscription service is active is when it tells me a new update is available and it e-mails me once a month with a statement indicating the $9.99 monthly payment. Other than that, I never know when it verifies my subscription. Totally non intrusive.

jjj

« Reply #612 on: April 02, 2014, 08:34:18 am »

Was it a keyboard slip or were you trolling when you made the post? ;) ;D
I wrote 'my software' and then realised it's not technically mine, but it would have been clunkier to have written it otherwise. So left it, as it wasn't really the point of that post.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:35:59 am by jjj »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:02 am »

I also received a warning from one of my suppliers that CS-6 perpetual licenses will only be available until May 31st 2014..

Bart, if this is indeed correct, then for how long after that cut off date, do you think Adobe are obliged to support PS CS6 and ACR running under PS CS6 for new camera models RAW files etc?

I would think it must be for at least another year to May 2015.

Dave

jjj

« Reply #614 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:53 am »

Adobe do not directly support updates to superceded software with regard to new cameras. They provide the DNG convertor, so you can use any new camera with any older versions of ACR/LR.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #615 on: April 02, 2014, 09:10:03 am »

Bart, if this is indeed correct, then for how long after that cut off date, do you think Adobe are obliged to support PS CS6 and ACR running under PS CS6 for new camera models RAW files etc?

Hi Dave,

I assume no more ACR updates for CS6 are to be expected after that date.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I just got a warning from another one of my dealers, no more perpetual CS6 licenses after May 30th, only subscriptions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:43:05 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #616 on: April 02, 2014, 11:08:02 am »

BTW, I enjoy also using LR and PS tremendously, but my copies work without any interference and hiccups. No silly online verifications, frustrations and outages.
It looks like they will work for a long time. Great products!
Same on this end. NEVER once have I experienced any online verification. But perhaps unlike some here, I actually use the product a couple times a week (if not more).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #617 on: April 02, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »

To go back more specifically to the thread topic - there's the problem some foolishly claim is never a problem, online verification. A couple of weeks back CC asked me to confirm my details to allow me to continue using my software. This was about 10 days after the previous verification. No idea why, but until I reconnected I couldn't use my tools.  >:(

Jeremy,

Out of curiosity, are you running CC on a Windows x64 machine?  It seems that Mac users are less affected by this problem (or may not experience it at all).  On this thread, both Michael Ezra and I have reported these repeated requests for verification and we're both running 64 bit Windows machines.  Despite the snarky comment above, it doesn't seem to matter how much you use the software.  I used it pretty heavily with my machine connected to the internet, and it didn't seem to matter.  And even if I didn't, Adobe makes much of their policy that verification can wait as long 99 days.

Mike Chambers put me in touch with an Adobe rep who said that the team was working on a solution  He suggested that I set the program to run as administrator (I did).  He also suggested that I disable UAC (User Account Control).  If I could set just the Adobe software to bypass UAC I would, but it seems that this would be a global setting, so I'm very reluctant to do that.  This machine has to be connected to the internet because of the verification requirements (plus it's the only way to get the software now), so I don't want to remove that level of protection.

At any rate it's now been about a month since it last stopped working and made me sign in to my account.  Setting CC to run as administrator might have helped, or it might be that a fix was in one of the recent updates.  Or it may be that it's just waiting to happen again.  But based on my experience I won't put a CC app on my laptop to travel.  Others may find this system "non-intrusive", but I'd like Adobe to be more up front about the software's status.  Right now, I don't know when CC will need it's next verification.  Even if I've used the program while connected to the internet I don't know if the verification process took place -- there's no way to tell.  And even if I force a verification by signing out of my Adobe account and signing back in, I have no faith that it will last for 99 days, or a month, or two weeks --based on my experience so far.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #618 on: April 02, 2014, 07:32:21 pm »

Hi Dave,

I assume no more ACR updates for CS6 are to be expected after that date.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I just got a warning from another one of my dealers, no more perpetual CS6 licenses after May 30th, only subscriptions.

Thanks Bart - I knew Adobe would eventually need to create a cut off date for CS PS and ACR, but I just wondered if you thought they would then continue to support new camera RAW's for the following twelve months after that cut off date, because of those people buying the last perpetual licenses.

Dave

jjj

« Reply #619 on: April 02, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »

Out of curiosity, are you running CC on a Windows x64 machine?  It seems that Mac users are less affected by this problem (or may not experience it at all).  On this thread, both Michael Ezra and I have reported these repeated requests for verification and we're both running 64 bit Windows machines.  Despite the snarky comment above, it doesn't seem to matter how much you use the software.  I used it pretty heavily with my machine connected to the internet, and it didn't seem to matter.  And even if I didn't, Adobe makes much of their policy that verification can wait as long 99 days.
Deputy Dawg doesn't know anywhere near as much as he thinks he does, as the silly comment about how often you use CC shows.
I'm on a Mac, not Win. I've only had the issue once and it's not something one can replicate easily as there's no obvious cause.

And even if I force a verification by signing out of my Adobe account and signing back in, I have no faith that it will last for 99 days, or a month, or two weeks --based on my experience so far.
That's the worrying part.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Up