Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe?  (Read 156126 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe?
« Reply #340 on: February 21, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »

PSCS6 (perpetual) activated without problem, and after I sign in to my account PSCC works fine for a few days -- but then makes me log in again.
That's odd, the part about having to log in again. You might see if there's some issue with your Adobe account. When you go there (the web site), do you have issues logging in? As I said, I've never even seen CC make any kind of activation request and I thought that whatever it did, does so behind the scenes. Do you have more than one machine running CC?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #341 on: February 21, 2014, 09:24:07 pm »

Jeff - Andrew's problem as I see it, is not that his stance on pro or anti Adobe. It's the fact that he is shooting people down and sneering at them whilst not actually bothering to read any valid points they may be raising.
His general attitude seems to be "it works fine for me so there aren't any problems, now quit whining".

An annual licence that is authorised annually seems to be a perfectly fine solution to some issues, but one apparently not available to those using the PS/LR option.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2014, 09:30:43 pm »

His general attitude seems to be "it works fine for me so there aren't any problems, now quit whining".
If you can find a post where I said that, let me know. While you're looking, be sure to ignore my negative comments about CC subscription, that makes it so much easier to paint my position in black and white to substantiate the poor points you've been making! As for quit whining, yes. Either subscribe or don't, I don't give a rat's ass which you do. The activation process is such that the user has to at the very least, use the damn product while hooked up to the net once every 30-90 days. If Adobe changed this to 90-120 days, a group would still bitch and moan. Why not ask them to simply remove all activation? You might be in some location prior to some important shoot, without having used the product in a quarter of  a year and maybe, maybe you wouldn’t be able to launch the product. Oh what a world of hurt that be! Pitty poor you for this. If that's the rational for not subscribing, do Adobe and the rest of us a break and please don't subscribe.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41:24 pm »

That's odd, the part about having to log in again. You might see if there's some issue with your Adobe account. When you go there (the web site), do you have issues logging in? As I said, I've never even seen CC make any kind of activation request and I thought that whatever it did, does so behind the scenes. Do you have more than one machine running CC?

Just one machine running CC.  No issues logging in, but that's worth looking into.  Maybe it's activating alright (again -- no way to tell) and it's an account problem.  It didn't occur to me that they might be separate from each other.  I'll look into that tomorrow.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »

Just one machine running CC.
You should be able to install on a 2nd machine and for grin's, be interesting to see if that works for you. Let's see if Mike can come up with some answers too. The bit about logging in seems odd. Next time this happens, be useful to make a screen capture of exactly what is presented.

Farmer

« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2014, 09:53:10 pm »

I guess Andrew should change his name to Adobe Attack Dog. Sad really taking some moral high ground on a company that has betrayed those of us that have been there supporting them for years.

They haven't betrayed you and you haven't been supporting them.  They've been offering products and you bought them.  You're taking the business relationship way outside of what it really is.
Phil Brown

jjj

« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »

If that's the rational for not subscribing, do Adobe and the rest of us a break and please don't subscribe.
See this is the problem with you, you don't read posts properly, assume what someone has said and then attack them for it.
I've not argued for or against against subscribing in this thread. I simply pointed out flaws in some of your posts and also agreed with some people who raised valid concerns about activation problems which could mitigated by a easy solution. Activation is an issue independent of subscription and was problematic for some when it first appeared with perpetual licences a long time back.
My stance on subscription is that it was inevitable and the cost of PS/LR CC is pretty good value. I had thought for many years that it was an obvious next step, as it was the easy and quite probably the only way for companies like Adobe to maintain profits with a business that was transitioning from a rapidly developing [high turnover of product] to a mature market [low turnover of product].
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:57:41 pm by jjj »

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #347 on: February 21, 2014, 10:00:36 pm »

I have exactly the same issue and I spent some time with Adobe support on the phone (Thanks Mike for the coordination).
Suspect was that some directories (OOBE*) which hold license information needed to be recreated. That was done by renaming the current into *_old and re-signing in to CC.
Problem the returned again. Ultimately Adobe support advised as follows:
1. Uninstall CS6 (which I hesitate doing - there is too much stuff configured there now and I intend to keep it)
2. the root cause is likely some conflict due to WMS (windows media service?) and that Adobe is working with Microsoft to get that resolved, but no date promised...

Quote from: Rick Popham on Today at 07:27:54 PM
 PSCS6 (perpetual) activated without problem, and after I sign in to my account PSCC works fine for a few days -- but then makes me log in again.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:02:09 pm by MichaelEzra »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2014, 10:02:34 pm »

I've not argued for or against against subscribing in this thread. I simply pointed out flaws in some of your posts and also agreed with some people who raised valid concerns about activation problems which could mitigated by a easy solution. Activation is an issue independent of subscription and was problematic for some when it first appeared with perpetual licences a long time back.
You can't subscribe without activation so the two are tied at the hip. The activation if a problem is for a tiny minority of users. The lame excuses (I'm in a factory without net access and maybe the software will not run) is simply silly. Launch the software before you leave, have a backup net access plan, have CS6 on the machine, don't shoot and play with Photoshop at the same time etc. One could be in the same situation and a meteor could squash you. Adobe isn't going to remove activation nor should they. IF the activation is such a huge burden, and I've seen none of this nor know anyone in that camp, don't put yourself in that position, don't subscribe, hence you never need to activate. Simple.

MikeChambers

« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2014, 10:52:02 pm »

Just one machine running CC.  No issues logging in, but that's worth looking into.  Maybe it's activating alright (again -- no way to tell) and it's an account problem.  It didn't occur to me that they might be separate from each other.  I'll look into that tomorrow.

Rick,

Sorry I missed this earlier. If you can shoot me an email at mesh@adobe.com, I can get someone who can try and help you out.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2014, 03:10:32 am »

....Launch the software before you leave, have a backup net access plan...
You seem to be deliberately ignoring the key worry here. You can't choose when to (re)activate the software. As reported in this thread; For some people that activation request happens more frequently than it should AND the software fails to work if it isn't activated on request, that is rather a major problem.
You also need to understand that net access often isn't easily available for people, especially when away from home.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2014, 05:52:39 am »

You seem to be deliberately ignoring the key worry here. You can't choose when to (re)activate the software.
I don't think that's correct. 

Provided the software has been activated, then it won't stop working unless you've been away from the Internet for more than 30 days.  It doesn't have to activate at the very moment it decides to do so.  It will keep trying for many days before it stops working. 

If some people are finding otherwise, then I suspect something's wrong with their installation.  That's quite possible: IMHO CC installation (and the infrastructure behind it for managing user subscriptions) is a bit buggy. 

jjj

« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2014, 07:42:00 am »

You can't subscribe without activation so the two are tied at the hip. The activation if a problem is for a tiny minority of users. The lame excuses (I'm in a factory without net access and maybe the software will not run) is simply silly. Launch the software before you leave, have a backup net access plan, have CS6 on the machine, don't shoot and play with Photoshop at the same time etc. One could be in the same situation and a meteor could squash you. Adobe isn't going to remove activation nor should they. IF the activation is such a huge burden, and I've seen none of this nor know anyone in that camp, don't put yourself in that position, don't subscribe, hence you never need to activate. Simple.
When you learn to read and correctly parse people's posts, please get back to us. Until then you may as well stop posting your ignorant and unhelpful rants.

jjj

« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2014, 07:49:18 am »

You also need to understand that net access often isn't easily available for people, especially when away from home.
Or even at home. I've stayed in Montana at a place where mobile phones didn't work, internet access was unusably awful and the nearest place to get connected requires driving miles down a dirt track to the actual road and then 30 miles to the nearest town. And that was in a relatively populous part of the state.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2014, 08:05:28 am »

Some guy sitting at a desk wrote:

"The activation if a problem is for a tiny minority of users. The lame excuses (I'm in a factory without net access and maybe the software will not run) is simply silly. Launch the software before you leave, have a backup net access plan, have CS6 on the machine, don't shoot and play with Photoshop at the same time etc"

So, lets see what's really silly here.

Using CS6 or earlier:

Arrive on job site to produce actual photography at internet challenged location.

Boot laptop.  Start Photoshop. Create images for client.

Nothing silly here

Using Photoshop CC

Either/or:

Boot laptop(s) or computers prior to leaving for the jobsite.  Start Photoshop.  Shutdown computer(s) and repack.

Add a mobile wifi hotspot to your required equipment list.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANOTHER VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP ON YOUR MACHINE.

Or just don't use Photoshop while you are at the jobsite.

Arrive at Job site.  Boot Laptop. Run Photoshop or not. (some version, which ever one actually works)  Create actual images for the client.

This is BEYOND silly.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:07:06 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

jjj

« Reply #355 on: February 22, 2014, 08:46:05 am »

Some guy sitting at a desk wrote:

"The activation if a problem is for a tiny minority of users. The lame excuses (I'm in a factory without net access and maybe the software will not run) is simply silly. Launch the software before you leave, have a backup net access plan, have CS6 on the machine, don't shoot and play with Photoshop at the same time etc"
Nail. Head. Hit -  "Some guy sitting at a desk wrote:" as opposed to "a working photographer". On his website there seems just a few holiday snaps that the mutt has taken and that's about it.

So, lets see what's really silly here.

Using CS6 or earlier:

Arrive on job site to produce actual photography at internet challenged location.

Boot laptop.  Start Photoshop. Create images for client.

Nothing silly here

Using Photoshop CC

Either/or:

Boot laptop(s) or computers prior to leaving for the jobsite.  Start Photoshop.  Shutdown computer(s) and repack.

Add a mobile wifi hotspot to your required equipment list.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANOTHER VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP ON YOUR MACHINE.

Or just don't use Photoshop while you are at the jobsite.

Arrive at Job site.  Boot Laptop. Run Photoshop or not. (some version, which ever one actually works)  Create actual images for the client.

This is BEYOND silly.
You forgot to mention
Open old version of PS or LR that needed to be bought in case new version failed to open.
Old version opens.
Can't handle raw files from new camera.
Open Adobe's DNG convertor. Tediously convert files to a format old PS/LR recognises.
Start to edit, realises new tools in CC that you had planned to use for shoot don't exist and then have to do things the old way and start to run out of time.
Meanwhile client is on phone trying to find a photographer who actually has some working software on his laptop unlike the one swearing at computer in front of him.

chez

« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2014, 08:47:15 am »

And the beat goes on....like a stuck record.

stamper

« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2014, 09:10:23 am »

Quote jjj

Start to edit, realises new tools in CC that you had planned to use for shoot don't exist and then have to do things the old way and start to run out of time.
Meanwhile client is on phone trying to find a photographer who actually has some working software on his laptop unlike the one swearing at computer in front of him.

Unquote

What tools would that be? I have looked at the upgrade.

http://prodesigntools.com/compare-versions-differences-adobe-cs6-vs-cc.html

I don't see much difference. The new New Camera Shake Reduction isn't recommended because it has some way to go and I wouldn't expect a Pro to have need of it. Smart Sharpen can be replicated with other methods. Andrew might have been a bit strident in his posts but the thrust of his posts seem fine to me. :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2014, 10:15:44 am »

I don't think that's correct. 
Provided the software has been activated, then it won't stop working unless you've been away from the Internet for more than 30 days.  It doesn't have to activate at the very moment it decides to do so. 
If you provide the facts of activation, it blows holes in the silly scenarios provided. Namely, so called photographers haven’t used Photoshop for the last 29-89 days, go on location with laptop that must launch the product or client rips them a new one. Photographer didn't check much important laptop prior to leaving and now, out in the middle of nowhere, with no possible access to the net, the shot is ruined because they didn't check their gear properly before leaving! I suppose if they forget their lens, that too is Adobe's fault.

As someone that has traveled the world building profiles on software that cost many thousands of dollars more than Photoshop, software that will not run without a hardware dongle, I've always had a backup plan and that dongle so I can actually get the work done. But that's just me. Instead of bitching at x-rite and Colorlogic about hardware protection that would hose an entire job, I ensure I can use the tools.

chez

« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2014, 10:24:18 am »

If you provide the facts of activation, it blows holes in the silly scenarios provided. Namely, so called photographers haven’t used Photoshop for the last 29-89 days, go on location with laptop that must launch the product or client rips them a new one. Photographer didn't check much important laptop prior to leaving and now, out in the middle of nowhere, with no possible access to the net, the shot is ruined because they didn't check their gear properly before leaving! I suppose if they forget their lens, that too is Adobe's fault.

As someone that has traveled the world building profiles on software that cost many thousands of dollars more than Photoshop, software that will not run without a hardware dongle, I've always had a backup plan and that dongle so I can actually get the work done. But that's just me. Instead of bitching at x-rite and Colorlogic about hardware protection that would hose an entire job, I ensure I can use the tools.

You mean you acted like a professional. Seems like that is getting lost on many folk here.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34   Go Up