Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 80A Filter in the Digital Age  (Read 4522 times)

JoeKitchen

80A Filter in the Digital Age
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:50:32 am »

So for a little while now I have been wondering if digital had an optimal color temperature range like film, but never thought of a way to test for it.  Then, Chris wrote something about thinking about using an 80A in a earlier topic.  So this morning, I got bored and decided to set up a pretty crappy still life of my small Christmas shrub on a wood table with some beer and wine bottles, cookies, plates, a blue Calculus book, etc.  I lit the table with two Tota lights, one reflecting out of a 50 inch umbrella and the other straight on.  Using a P45+ with C1 Pro v6, I captured an image with and without an 80A, using the exposure calibrator in C1 to get the exposures as close as possible.  

When noise is concerned, the differences are mute in the mid-tones and highlights.  In the shadows, color noise was worse on the non-80A image, especially when pushed hard, although not by much.  I did not have anything very dark and blue with varying tonalities, so I had to look into the shadows of the green tree to test for this.  Maybe with something darker and bluer, the noise would be much more less with the 80A.  

On the topic of color, it seems the 80A may be more useful.  I used the same spot on a white wall behind the scene to color correct.  The 80A image looked cleaner and more true, even though the same exact spot was used for color correction.  This was especially the case for objects with more red in them.  

In conclusion, if you are concerned about noise, using an 80A would only be beneficial for darker images.  However, if you need to reduce the color saturation/strength of only the red channel, using an 80A would help a good deal, it appears.  

See below, non-80A on the left, 80A on the right.  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:52:45 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: 80A Filter in the Digital Age
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »

So... not a whole lot of benefit?  Another thought I had was to always bracket with a +1 or +2 exposure.  Process that at -1 (or -2) to match Normal.  This should yield cleaner shadows and could be layered in with a luminosity mask.  Actually, I've done this a couple times with good results.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:48:10 am »

So... not a whole lot of benefit?  Another thought I had was to always bracket with a +1 or +2 exposure.  Process that at -1 (or -2) to match Normal.  This should yield cleaner shadows and could be layered in with a luminosity mask.  Actually, I've done this a couple times with good results.

I do not see too much of an advantage here, other than reducing the saturation of the red channel, although this could also be done in post.  For very dark images though, I could see using the 80A and getting some benefit out of it.  But with dark images on a wide lens with a CF, the exposure could already be 40 seconds, add an 80A, and now you're at 2 minutes, which leaves more time for a possible camera shake from something (say a very loud speaker sounding a canon blast that vibrates the whole concrete floor). 

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 09:06:53 am »

Remember bracketing Ektachrome?  Felt like it took a half hour to bracket one damn shot!  On my interiors nowadays, though, I don't find myself ever exposing for more than 3 seconds.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:39 am »

Remember bracketing Ektachrome?  Felt like it took a half hour to bracket one damn shot!  On my interiors nowadays, though, I don't find myself ever exposing for more than 3 seconds.

fortunately I am young enough to never had to have felt the pain of shooting interiors at a pro level with chromes.   ;D

Depending on the filters and lighting, my tungsten shots run between 0.5 and 6 seconds.  The 40 second I referenced above was in a very dimly lit museum, and yes, the canon blast really happened and ruined the first real exposure.  After thinking about the colors, the 80A may have benefited me here ???

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:45:50 am »

Hi,

I would expect that setting a white balance would take care of most differences, but I don't know as I have not tried.

Sory, I have mixed up the filter name, now I see what you mean!

Best regards
Erik

So for a little while now I have been wondering if digital had an optimal color temperature range like film, but never thought of a way to test for it.  Then, Chris wrote something about thinking about using an 80A in a earlier topic.  So this morning, I got bored and decided to set up a pretty crappy still life of my small Christmas shrub on a wood table with some beer and wine bottles, cookies, plates, a blue Calculus book, etc.  I lit the table with two Tota lights, one reflecting out of a 50 inch umbrella and the other straight on.  Using a P45+ with C1 Pro v6, I captured an image with and without an 80A, using the exposure calibrator in C1 to get the exposures as close as possible.  

When noise is concerned, the differences are mute in the mid-tones and highlights.  In the shadows, color noise was worse on the non-80A image, especially when pushed hard, although not by much.  I did not have anything very dark and blue with varying tonalities, so I had to look into the shadows of the green tree to test for this.  Maybe with something darker and bluer, the noise would be much more less with the 80A.  

On the topic of color, it seems the 80A may be more useful.  I used the same spot on a white wall behind the scene to color correct.  The 80A image looked cleaner and more true, even though the same exact spot was used for color correction.  This was especially the case for objects with more red in them.  

In conclusion, if you are concerned about noise, using an 80A would only be beneficial for darker images.  However, if you need to reduce the color saturation/strength of only the red channel, using an 80A would help a good deal, it appears.  

See below, non-80A on the left, 80A on the right.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:57:09 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:46:13 am »

Joe

VERY Nice simple demo, proving how it is worth using a filter to balance the channels AT CAPTURE.
Visible Quality (= SN ratio) in the tree shadows improves dramatically. BTW, gelling the lights is also a possibility.
Of course a back has good DR, the demo would be much more dramatic with an average dSLR.

Edmund

PS. Erik, the whole point of this demo is that the filter allows you to balance the real physical channel data, if the channels are unbalanced, then wb means  a channel (usually blue) is less exposed and needs lifting by the wb process, thereby introducing noise during raw conversion.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:53:23 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:52:14 am »

Hi,

I would expect that setting a white balance would take care of most differences, but I don't know as I have not tried.

Best regards
Erik

At first I thought the color difference was a white balance issue, but then I started playing around with it.  I repeatably adjusted the white balance by sampling different areas of both images, but in the same exact spot every time (hope you followed me there).  The red channel was always more saturated in the non-80A images.  

But, I am sure that this can be solved in post too with the right profile.  

Gelling the lights would work too, but gelling my lights to match ambient is often easier than gelling the ambient, and my lights, to match daylight.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:56:41 am by JoeKitchen »

eronald

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 10:57:50 am »

At first I thought the color difference was a white balance issue, but then I started playing around with it.  I repeatably adjusted the white balance in different areas of both images, but in the same exact spot every time (hope you followed me there).  I red channel was always more saturated in the non-80A images.  

Interesting. I guess the filter cuts the spectrum variably moving from red to blue, and in the transition zone objects will change color. I think you can understand what I mean ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:00:43 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:25 am »

Hi,

Sloppy reading on my part! Sorry!

Best regards
Erik

At first I thought the color difference was a white balance issue, but then I started playing around with it.  I repeatably adjusted the white balance by sampling different areas of both images, but in the same exact spot every time (hope you followed me there).  The red channel was always more saturated in the non-80A images.  

Gelling the lights would work too, but gelling my lights to match ambient is often easier than gelling the ambient, and my lights, to match daylight.  
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:13:19 am »

Joe,

Yes.

I think an internal filter wheel would make sense for many lenses, video cameras etc, especially now that electronic viewfinders have arrived.

Edmund

Ken R

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »

Joe

VERY Nice simple demo, proving how it is worth using a filter to balance the channels AT CAPTURE.
Visible Quality (= SN ratio) in the tree shadows improves dramatically. BTW, gelling the lights is also a possibility.
Of course a back has good DR, the demo would be much more dramatic with an average dSLR.

Edmund

PS. Erik, the whole point of this demo is that the filter allows you to balance the real physical channel data, if the channels are unbalanced, then wb means  a channel (usually blue) is less exposed and needs lifting by the wb process, thereby introducing noise during raw conversion.

Yep, I agree!

One thing of note, the images with the 80A filter have a much longer exposure, that might introduce a bit of noise by itself, specially in low light situations where the high density of the 80A filter will mandate quite long exposures. Would be cool to see what happens with either a lighter cooling filter or in situations with higher light levels. I might have to dig up a few filters from storage. Haven't used colored filters in years.

bjanes

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:04 pm »

For the best SNR, it is desirable to balance the color channels so that each channel is optimally exposed to the right. In the case of tungsten illumination, the 80a will bring the color temperature to daylight. However, with most sensors, daylight is not optimal since the sensor is most sensitive to green. Some exacting photographers place a magenta filter over the lens to hold back green and balance out the channels.

For the D800e the raw histogram for a white target illuminated by tungsten light is shown in the first image below. The tungsten light is quite deficient in blue. An 80a filter will pass blue and hold back red and green to approximate daylight as shown in the second image, where the blue component is better exposed, but now the red is more underexposed. If one placed a CC20M filter over the lens, the green would be moved 2/3 EV to the left and the channels would be approximately balanced. However, the filters could degrade the image and the extra exposure could introduce more camera shake. With low noise sensors, such filtration is not generally worthwhile but might be useful when one has the camera on a tripod.

Bill

eronald

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 01:45:38 pm »

I guess you need to choose your filter or sensor with IR absorption cover according to whether you wish to best dscriminate clorophyll a, b, carotenoids or anthocyanins :)

In other words, one filter may be best for pines, the other for fall colors :)

It's a bit strange how esoteric stuff immediately cascades into visible differences.

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:28:19 pm by eronald »

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:28 pm »

...bracket with a +1 or +2 exposure.  Process that at -1 (or -2) to match Normal.  This should yield cleaner shadows and could be layered in with a luminosity mask.

I do this a lot - even going as far as 3-4 stops.  Works very well, and easier than packing filters.

Stas Wilf

• Stas Wilf photography
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 07:34:44 am »

Well, maybe that "saturation of the red channel" doesn't describe the effect well enough. Reds and yellows get lighter, cyans shift towards blue and so on. Color shifts are subtle but complicated (I made an experiment once with a ColorChecker and four different light sources).

Indeed. But people tend to skip this part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up