Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help saving selections across copies of same image  (Read 1254 times)

msoomro

Need help saving selections across copies of same image
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:57:36 pm »

Lost at PS basics: So I am making a few different selections of parts of an image. I save each selection with different name and then save my tiff file. I then open saved tiff image and save as a different name or convert the image into B&W and save under different name. When i open the images I saved under different names, I do not see the saved selections available.  Is this expected PS behavior or I am missing some steps.

Ideally I'd like to make selections in one master file and have those selections available across the different copies of the same image.

Thanks
msoomro

kirkt

Re: Need help saving selections across copies of same image
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:25:40 am »

Try saving your selections as alpha channels.  Those should stay with the TIFF.  When you want to re-activate the selection, just CMD-click (CTRL-click on a PC) the alpha channel and the selection will be loaded.

kirk

msoomro

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:30:18 am »

Thanks Kirk. I'll try it. Right now I am saving by going  to select \ save selection. Is saving as alpha channel different. I can stil see my saved selections in original file in channels tab

Thanks

msoomro

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »

Sharing my detailed workflow in case one can spot anything odd or a missing step. thanks

NEF imported in LR
Basic ACR adjustment in LR
In LR use Export to Tif to create a Tif copy
From within LR open tif in PS
Make few selections and save each selection.
Verify the selections in channels palette
Save file. "Master.tif"
(Here i have tested in two different ways. If I create / save channels on background layer,it does not stick. I have to create a copy of background layer then create channels and save file in order for channels to be saved and available)

Re open the "Master.tif".
Do a couple adjustment layers or in PS or via Nik Plug-in
(Merge down or flatten file so i only have one layer)
Verify channels are there.
Save file as "Master-Copy.tif"
Open "master-copy.tif"
Photoshop brings up image in ACR window. (Not sure why it is bringing up ACR at this stage)
I just select open image in ACR options
When file opens in PS, I don't see saved selections in channels.

msoomro

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:54:14 pm »

Closing loop:  Looks like ACR settings was the culprit. Disabled TIFF support in ACR and the problem is gone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up