Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Zeiss Otus 55mm APO and Focus-Stacking  (Read 7715 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
The Zeiss Otus 55mm APO and Focus-Stacking
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:53:27 am »

Received my copy of the Zeiss Otus 55mm APO lens today.  Having fallen in love with its younger brother the Zeiss 135mm APO lens soon after it first came out, I was more than ready for the 55mm Otus.

I have not had time to put it through its paces, but I already see enough to agree with everything I have read about it from other reviewers as to what a great lens this is. I am primarily a close-up and macro photographer of nature subjects, most often plants. We are in the midst of serious winter here, so all the plants I have on hand are some cyclamen flowers that have seen better days.

I have spent years stacking focus, and have taken many hundreds of thousands of shots in that department. I happen to have a lot of lenses available, most of them macro or close-ups, plus other lens types that are somehow useful for close work.

Over time I found that the only lenses that really worked best for my work were lenses that were sharp and highly corrected like the Voigtlander 125mm APO, the Leica 100mm APO Elmarit-R, the Coastal Optics 60mm APO, several exotic Nikkors like the Printing Nikkors, and others.

My particular interest has been in very fast lenses that are sharp wide open or nearly so. It does not matter that the depth-of-field for this kind of lens is very shallow, since I want to stack focus with them. By stacking focus as deep as I want, I can bring out any part of the subject into sharp focus and approximate a depth-of-field effect, and know that (thanks to the fast speed) whatever I do not stack into focus will be a lovely bokeh.

Since focus stacking is a digital sampling technique, not unlike sampling audio for CDs or sampling video for DVDs, then because sampling is not perfect (which by definition it is not), there can be artifacts. Managing artifacts generated by stacking focus is complex and, thanks to retouching, is perhaps as much an art as a science.

Focus stacking, aside from a few who make it a virtue to stack photos handheld, is done on a tripod. There are several brands of decent software to process stacks of images into one final image that is as in focus as much as we wish it to be. I have tried most (if not all) of the software out there and find that Zerene Stacker is, for my work, the best all-around software, especially when it comes to retouching.

However it makes a difference (to the software) how we stack the photos in the first place. There are three popular ways to photograph stacked layers, and some are more artifact prone than others. The key is to move the entrance pupil of the lens as little as possible. Starting with the least adequate method:

(1) Mount the camera and lens on a focus rail (which is on a tripod) and gradually move the unit along the rail toward the subject being photographed.

(2) Mount the camera and lens on a tripod and turn the lens barrel (helicoid) in as fine a way as possible. Lenses with a long focus throw make it much easier to so this.

(3) And finally, the superior method (that will cause the least artifacts) is to fix the lens on a bellows (on a tripod) so that the front standard is fixed and mount the camera on the rear standard of the bellows. Then move only the rear standard to focus. This method holds the entrance pupil in the lens stationary and moves only the camera.

Not all lenses will work well with the third method and the first method (focus rail) can be too crude at times. This leaves the second method, turning the helicoid (lens barrel) as a good option unless the focus throw on the lens is too short to allow you fine movements. That is the method used in the images here.

For example, the Coastal Optics 60mm F/4 APO lens is an excellent lens, but it has a focus throw of only 210-degrees, too short IMO, plus f/4 is not very fast. While I found this lens good for copy work, it ultimately proved too much trouble for macro work, and I even tried putting it on a focus rail, etc. And then things changed.

Game changer number one was the arrival of the Nikon D800E camera body. I had been using the Nikon D3x for some time and liked the rich blacks I got out of it. However, the D800E was IMO an order of magnitude better and my focus stacking software really liked this camera, which brings me to today.

Game changer number two came with the release of the Zeiss 135mm APO lens. As mentioned earlier I had gravitated to highly corrected lens like the Voigtlander 125mm APO, the Leica 100mm APO Elmarit-R, the Coastal Optics 60mm APO, and several exotic Nikkors like the Printing Nikkors and others. I was also doing my best, short of lecturing, to tell my fellow focus stackers that the key to lenses for this work appears to me to be how highly corrected they are. I mostly was ignored and sometimes laughed at, but I persisted only because the results I was getting from APO lenses were so much better than from others, at least for stacking.

I particularly liked the Voigtlander 125mm F/2.5 APO-Lanther and although I owned both the Zeiss 100mm and the 50mm Makro-Planar lenses, I tried to point out that they were sharp (perhaps too contrasty), but their lack of correction made me prefer not to use them. The 50mm Zeiss Makro-Planar for my work was the better of the two.

With the release of the new line of Zeiss lenses and the 135mm APO, things changed. I did not run out and buy one, but I was listening for the telltale hints from various reviewers that this new lens might be a different kind of Zeiss. I finally broke down and bought the 135mm Zeiss and was amazed at what a great lens it was. It blew all my best APO lenses right out of the water, although with some the difference was close. With a lens like this, who needs most of the others, AND it was not even a macro lens!

I include a photo taken with the Zeiss 135mm APO lens (Nikon D800E), and a crop of some Japanese Beetles.

So I was ready for the 55mm Otus and knew just how to check it out. And sure enough, the 55mm is better than the 135mm (IMO) and as good as all the early reviews have pointed out, and for my work, better.

And this lens should be of special interest to close-up and macro focus stackers. My first tests, which will have to be repeated, show that a carefully done stacked photo (helicoid method) was outshone by a single photo taken at f/8 with the Otus. More startling, a photo taken at f/16 was amazingly sharp, almost as if the effects of diffraction don't appear as early on in highly-corrected lenses. I am sure they are there, but to the best of my eyesight I can't see them.

The Otus 55mm APO also takes reasonable extension without blinking. For me it works as a close-up lens, and perhaps as a macro as well.

It appears as if higher resolution cameras like 36 MP coupled with more highly-corrected lenses are a winning combination for photographers. I saw this in the Zeiss 135mm APO, but it seems further confirmed with the new Otus 55mm APO lens.

The single shots at f/8 (and even f/16) had everything sharper and with as great a depth of field as the carefully assembled stacked photos (using f/2.8). The only downside to the single-shot photo was the lack of good bokeh. Of course, bokeh was better in the f/4 stacked photo.

Up until now the stacked version of a photo (in my experience) was always sharper than the equivalent one-shot photo taken at a higher aperture setting, mostly due to diffraction. But it appears we are crossing some threshold here. I will have to let the techsperts check this out and explain it to me. Why are larger sensors and highly-corrected lenses less prone to diffraction. Diffraction is a law of nature, and we don't break nature's laws. So how does that work? What am I seeing here?

Perhaps they won't find the same result, but perhaps they will. Honestly, I might as well sell scores of my lenses and just keep these two and a buy few more that Zeiss will issue in the years to come. How about a macro lens Zeiss-Geist?

Included are some pretty rough shots taken with the Nikon D800E and the Zeiss Otus 55mm APO lens on a RRS tripod and the Swiss Arca Cube head. No attempt was made to "make pretty," but just to see how a stacked shot matched up to single shots at f/8 and f/16. Since, unfortunately perhaps, most of my work now appears on the web, I am wondering why the f/16 or f/8 single photos are not as good as the stacked shot. I believe they are, which if this fact is borne out in time means this new lens really changes how I work.

Images can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98006906@N05/

Video tutorials here:
http://dharmagrooves.com/Photography.aspx
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:03:37 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: The Zeiss Otus 55mm APO and Focus-Stacking
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:16:11 am »

Thanks for the report Michael.

I have just received my Otus this morning and will have some opportunity to put it through its pace in the coming days.

I don't doubt that the lens will be splendid for stitching as well, especially now that DxO 9 supports it.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:39:25 am »

Very interesting images, Michael. I, too, found the Otus to close focus exceedingly well, just a touch short of closest focus with a Zeiss 50 Makro. This lens, for all the hype, does seem to be quite versatile.

henrikfoto

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:17:06 am »

Thank you for a very good article, Michael!

I am very happy with the latest version of Helicon Focus with the possibillity to
load raw-files directly into the software.

But I have never tried Zerene Stacker. Can you explain how it is better?

Also I wounder how critical do you think it is to move the focus exactly the same distance
every time? And how do you do that best? Do you use the scale on the lens or do you add an
extra scale with tape or so?

Henrik

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:27:38 am »

Henrik: Zerene Stacker has several features. One is that, like other software, it offers a couple of methods for stacking. However, unlike the others, one of those methods handles fine lines in a unique (to my knowledge) way very well.

Next, when it comes to retouching, Zerene Stacker is outstanding. It includes a feature that allows you to (temporarily) lighten the photo, so in dark photos you can see where to retouch. I need that, because I like shadows. Retouching is key in stacking focus.

It is also fast and the author Rik Littlefield is very conscientious and precise about every little thing. He also is an expert photographer, etc.

As for focus, I have to be realistic. Most of my work ends up on the web in 1024 px (long-side) format, so I need to keep that in mind. Still, shooting in 36 MP is worth the hassle of handling 100 giant TIF files to get one image, and so on.

I have not tried a robot focus rail because, as I mentioned in my first post, that is a lousy method of stacking anyway. I actually vary the distance as I move along the subject, slowing way down for anything like spheres (where gaps show easily), and speeding up in areas with not obvious things to worry about. I don't look at the scale on the lens, although the Otus is tempting. I sometimes use tape on a rail.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:29:15 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

henrikfoto

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 09:39:49 am »

Ok, that is very interesting.

I have done a lot of stacking with a camranger, a Micro-Nikkor af f4 200mm and the iPad.
Works very well with no movement of the camera at all.

After looking at the superb tests of the Nikon 200 mm f.2 I would love to try this lens for stacking.
Have you tried it?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 10:13:29 am »

I have the f/4 Micro-Nikkor 200mm, but seldom use it. It is sharp, but does not compare to the lenses we are discussing here. It is not highly corrected and it shows.

At this link, the second book down is a free-e-book on macro lenses and my experience with them, as well as their specs, etc. It is getting older, but so am I.

http://dharmagrooves.com/e-Books.aspx#Photography

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 02:42:57 pm »

However it makes a difference (to the software) how we stack the photos in the first place. There are three popular ways to photograph stacked layers, and some are more artifact prone than others. The key is to move the entrance pupil of the lens as little as possible. Starting with the least adequate method:

(1) Mount the camera and lens on a focus rail (which is on a tripod) and gradually move the unit along the rail toward the subject being photographed.

(2) Mount the camera and lens on a tripod and turn the lens barrel (helicoid) in as fine a way as possible. Lenses with a long focus throw make it much easier to so this.

(3) And finally, the superior method (that will cause the least artifacts) is to fix the lens on a bellows (on a tripod) so that the front standard is fixed and mount the camera on the rear standard of the bellows. Then move only the rear standard to focus. This method holds the entrance pupil in the lens stationary and moves only the camera.

Michael,

Thanks for a very informative post. Regarding the methods to acquire a stack, Rik Littlefield (the author of Zerine stacker) has a nice section of his FAQ covering this matter. I'm sure you know all that, but I am referring to it for the benefit of others and for discussion. Although he does not cover your method 3, but does state that using the focus ring is better in most circumstances except for extreme closeups (objects about the size of a raisin), where a rail may work better. Regarding your method 3 (focusing with the rear standard of the bellows, he does say that it is best not to move the lens, consistent with method 3.

With your method 3, the shortest bellows extension does impose limitations on focusing distance. For example, I have an old Nikon bellows whose minimum extension is 4.5 cm. The maximal extension with the Zeiss 135 mm f/2 Apo lens is 3 cm, so there is a gap between 3 and 4.5 cm of lens extension. Of course, one loses auto diaphragm with a simple bellows.

If one has an autofocus lens, method 2 (turning the lens ring) is problematic since most autofocus lenses have a short throw. However, if one is controlling the lens via software with an external program (such as Helicon Remote) it is possible to move focus in very small increments and the process can be automated. Do you have experience with this?

It appears as if higher resolution cameras like 36 MP coupled with more highly-corrected lenses are a winning combination for photographers. I saw this in the Zeiss 135mm APO, but it seems further confirmed with the new Otus 55mm APO lens.

The single shots at f/8 (and even f/16) had everything sharper and with as great a depth of field as the carefully assembled stacked photos (using f/2.8). The only downside to the single-shot photo was the lack of good bokeh. Of course, bokeh was better in the f/4 stacked photo.

Up until now the stacked version of a photo (in my experience) was always sharper than the equivalent one-shot photo taken at a higher aperture setting, mostly due to diffraction. But it appears we are crossing some threshold here. I will have to let the techsperts check this out and explain it to me. Why are larger sensors and highly-corrected lenses less prone to diffraction. Diffraction is a law of nature, and we don't break nature's laws. So how does that work? What am I seeing here?

This is an intriguing situation. The effects of diffraction can be partially overcome with deconvolution. With deconvoluiton, it helps to have a low noise image free from aberrations, and this is where your highly corrected lenses with the D800e may come in. What sharpening method are you using?

Regards,

Bill

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:14 pm »

Bill. Thanks for the interesting comments. As for motorized rails or remote tethering of auto-focus lenses, my thoughts are simple. I have not tried motorized rails because I don't love rail stacks that much anyway. When I do use a rail, I use the Castel Q which has a Swiss Arca clamp on the top, and an Arca rail on the bottome In addition, I use the Castel-Q/XQ II Fine Adjustment Handle.

However, as mentioned, rails are not my first choice. As for tethering a lens, that means using an auto-focus lens. Most of my lenses are manual and all of the great lenses that I have are manual, so that is out. I don't have an autofocus lens that I feel is good enough compared to the Zeiss Otus 55m or the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar, etc.

Anyway, the incrementing of shots is not my problem. I have a pretty good feel for increments by helicoid, rail, or bellows by this point. One of the best bellows lenses is the Printing Nikkor 150mm lens, which is very highly corrected and just an incredible lens. But it is hard to find.

I am afraid I am always on a photo-Odyssey, one that never has arrived anywhere. For example, I have yet to print out a photo and I have been doing this since the 1950s. Well, maybe back then I printed some as a kid. Honestly, I am always trying to see if something works…. better than what I am doing at the present.

Many of the lenses I use require that I open up the aperture to focus and manually stop down to shoot, like the industrial Nikkors. As for "low noise image from aberrations," you named it. That's what we are all going for. I typically shoot at ISO 100 or whatever is the lowest in the camera. I am not skilled at finishing photos because I never feel I have one that is finished. I have shot many terabytes of photos without really doing that much finishing. Go figure.

Right now it is this new Zeiss 55mm Otus. A year ago it was the Zeiss 135mm APO, and there you go. I would really like to get the Sony A7r, but there is a shudder problem that destroys sharpness that would defeat my reason for buying one. I just looked at the Sigma Merrill DP3, but sent it back. It is a great idea, but I want it in a Nikon body with all the bells and whistles I am used to. I don't want to re-invent the wheel just for a Foveon sensor. I had the same problem with Medium Format digital backs. They were so stone-age as far as interfaces goes that I was not willing to put up with them. I still have about eleven Mamiya lenses sitting around here. I should sell them.

You get the idea. Glad to hear any ideas, so keep them coming. I don't know much about deconvolution, other than it is like trying to get the toothpaste back into the tube. Tell me about it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:48:00 pm by Michael Erlewine »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 04:41:11 pm »

Nikon D800E, Zeiss Otus 55mm APO, Zerene Stacker

Starting to play with this lens.

henrikfoto

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »

From what you see so far, is there any advantages from using the 55 over using the 135 in your kind of work?
Are they both sharp wide open or do you stop them down a bit?

Henrik

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 06:03:36 pm »

Too early to say. Would rather have a 60mm, for context, rather than 135. Both are exemplary lenses. I am stopping them down a bit, but just getting started with this lens. I will open them up as I get the hang of it. There is a learning curve, but a great one, but still pushing beyond what I know. It is fun.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:30:38 am by Michael Erlewine »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 09:52:09 am »

Continuing my journey into Otus-land and the new Zeiss 55mm APO, here are a couple of photos taken this morning before my grown kids get up who are visiting start the Christmas day. I can hear my two-year-old granddaughter Emma moving around already.

One is a single-shot photo at f/8, and the other is a 35-layer stacked shot of the same flower buds.

I am going to try to shoot it over with a one shot at f/16 (or thereabouts) because there is certain to be even less difference in focus between the two shots, and this in favor of the one-shot. Even at f/8 there is quite a bit in focus and field depth.

As an old focus-stacker from way back, this kind of result brings me up short. Why bother stacking if we can have really good focus that does not require retouching (as stacked photos do), if only because they are samples and sampling is gap-prone, by definition.

So I repeat my current mantra, that with highly corrected lenses we are (at least I am) entering a new world, one that beckons to be explored.

P.S.
I have added a single-shot f/16 photo, and you can see the effects of diffraction, although it does have a lot in focus and a good depth-of-field. Still, f/8 is fine and f/16 probably a bridge too far.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:53:30 am by Michael Erlewine »

henrikfoto

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 10:28:32 am »

Hi Michael!

Can I ask how you store all your files?

Henrik

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 10:55:07 am »

I am going to try to shoot it over with a one shot at f/16 (or thereabouts) because there is certain to be even less difference in focus between the two shots, and this in favor of the one-shot. Even at f/8 there is quite a bit in focus and field depth.

As an old focus-stacker from way back, this kind of result brings me up short. Why bother stacking if we can have really good focus that does not require retouching (as stacked photos do), if only because they are samples and sampling is gap-prone, by definition.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Otus 55mm. My explanation for your observations is that it has to do with the relatively small output size that you require. At that size the diffraction pattern will also be small, and things will look relatively well focused, but (!) with a bit reduced modulation (MTF) as well because the diffraction pattern has a significantly large support dimension (although at low amplitude).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:30 am »

By "output," do you mean pixel dimensions of the image. I work in full-sized 36 MP images, raw, from the D800E, so I only see them in diminutive format when I output them for web displays, like here. Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 12:16:49 pm »

By "output," do you mean pixel dimensions of the image. I work in full-sized 36 MP images, raw, from the D800E, so I only see them in diminutive format when I output them for web displays, like here. Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly.

Hi Michael,

It is in response to your initial comments:

Perhaps they won't find the same result, but perhaps they will. Honestly, I might as well sell scores of my lenses and just keep these two and a buy few more that Zeiss will issue in the years to come. How about a macro lens Zeiss-Geist?

Included are some pretty rough shots taken with the Nikon D800E and the Zeiss Otus 55mm APO lens on a RRS tripod and the Swiss Arca Cube head. No attempt was made to "make pretty," but just to see how a stacked shot matched up to single shots at f/8 and f/16. Since, unfortunately perhaps, most of my work now appears on the web, I am wondering why the f/16 or f/8 single photos are not as good as the stacked shot. I believe they are, which if this fact is borne out in time means this new lens really changes how I work.

Later you specified:

Most of my work ends up on the web in 1024 px (long-side) format, so I need to keep that in mind.

This suggests to me that you are judging based on intended small sized (pixel dimensions) output, or are you judging at the 36MP level? Diffraction does not change with optics (the F-number and wavelength determine the size), other than that a more rounded aperture shape will help with a cleaner diffraction pattern and that a well corrected lens will produce a sharper image (the combination of residual lens aberrations + diffraction will be less blurry).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:19:30 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »

As mentioned I work with the full image raw. I don't even much like to look at images when they are reduced, but web life demands it.

My point is that highly corrected lenses in my experience seem to do better as regards retarding diffraction than do poorly corrected lenses. Of course, I may just be seeing things, but what I see so far is that with these new Zeiss lenses it seems possible to get away with higher apertures instead of stacking focus to get the effect of depth-of-field. I am just wondering what other Otus 55mm users are finding in close-up work.

BobDavid

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 12:37:24 pm »

I've bee following your posts regarding stacking and your shiny new Otus. You are making some exceptionally intriguing imagery.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »

As mentioned I work with the full image raw. I don't even much like to look at images when they are reduced, but web life demands it.

Hi Michael,

I see, so you are getting the impression from the full sized images.

My point is that highly corrected lenses in my experience seem to do better as regards retarding diffraction than do poorly corrected lenses.

That may seem the case, but it's just that the combination of residual lens aberrations and Diffraction blur is multiplicative, the MTFs (modulation transfer functions which are both between 0.0 and 1.0) multiply. So when the lens is better corrected, the combined effect will improve, even if the diffraction component is the same. Therefore, what you are seeing is the improved lens corrections, not the diffraction, producing a better mixed result.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up