Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ 260 + Shneider 35 XL, + LCC on Ipad ? question  (Read 1583 times)

julienlanoo

IQ 260 + Shneider 35 XL, + LCC on Ipad ? question
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:33:33 am »

Hi guys,

So my P45+ is out of comptability this year.  So in theory i can upgrade :) :p " in theory"
Although i absolutely LOVE the P45+ i have become curious about de 260 ( long exposures as i use them all the time).

I only have 1 lens in my set that makes me worry, that's the Shneider 35XL,
Does any one have experience with the 260 and the Shneider35XL ? Is it "workable" when making an LCC ? or is it hopeless ?

Also what i really lik on shooting tethered is that my LCC are already applied when getting home. So as the IQ260 has Ipad connectivity, i was wondering if i can already apply the LCC this way to the images via the IPAD ? as it saves me many many liters of Coffee in the office :) .

Any remarks are welcome, please no war of backs :) :p

torger

Re: IQ 260 + Shneider 35 XL, + LCC on Ipad ? question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:32:53 am »

Over at getdpi this question gets asked a lot I think you can find good answers there. The 260 should work fine with the 35 if you don't shift it. With shifts the reduction in dynamic range due to heavy color cast can become a problem, depending on subject. So it's very much "it depends". The common path seems to be to upgrade glass to Rodenstock, but I think some still use the Schneiders which does have some advantages not only in price, they're lighter, more robust and distortion free.

julienlanoo

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:59:17 am »

ah, i'll check get dpi,
and a " center filter " could help no , ?

greets
ju

torger

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:33:05 am »

Most consider center filter to be required. I have the 35 myself and use center filter despite that I use a legacy back with less color cast. I now have the original filter, I used a weaker one before which worked okay with my aptus 75, but the 260 would need the stronger for sure. Also take into account that exposure times with this combination will be long.

ah, i'll check get dpi,
and a " center filter " could help no , ?

greets
ju

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:04 am »

Schneider 35mm
I have used the 35XL on both the IQ160 and IQ260.

One of the standards out there for tech cameras.  Recessed lens board for Arca  makes getting your hands on the shutter and aperture settings a bit tricky.  Less distortion on center than the Rodenstocks.  On a 60MP back you can still get around 8mm maybe 10mm of shift depending on the subject.  Past that and you will see detail smearing and extreme loss of color saturation.  This lens can have centerfolding issues on Phase Backs, especially on shifts.  Most times this can be fixed by the dealer but sometimes it just can't be.  Amazingly sharp lens and very light weight.  Requires the CF all the time.  If you are not doing much shifting the 35XL will do fine on the 160/260 Phase back.

On the 80MP backs you will see just too much color shifting even on center to use this lens.  The LCC just can't fix it all.  CF takes around 2.5 stops and best aperture range I have found is from F11 to F16, pretty limited but if you can hit there excellent results.

With the 260, it's a view only type setup, however you can create a custom WB and mark the images with one to five stars.  With the DF or DF+ body you have camera control also.  Either way it will not apply the LCC to the files.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:57 am »

Previous discussion on IQ260 with 35XL:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/49638-opinions-sk35xl-sk47xl-iq160-260-a.html

Chart of DT's list of tech camera lens compatibility:
www.digitaltransitions.com/page/tech-camera-overview
(35XL is listed as limited due to issues with moderate and large movements)

LCC via iPad: no. And while I expect additional functionality and features to be added to Capture Pilot in the coming months/years I do not anticipate LCC being one of those options anytime in the near or midterm.

torger

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:11:51 am »

Does someone have a good test file with a difficult centerfold issue, together with an associated LCC shot? I've implemented the LCC (flatfield correction) algorithm in Lumariver HDR and I'd like to see how far it can go and possibly improve it further... there's not many flatfield correction options out there and I think it would be interesting to compete with Capture One, which probably has a very good implementation. I've tested my algorithm mostly with my own Aptus back which does have centerfold issue, but not that large and it's easily corrected by the current implementation.

So if someone has an image + LCC with a problematic centerfold to send me to use for testing the algorihtm I'd be most grateful. (sorry for sliding a bit off-topic)
Pages: [1]   Go Up