Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H2d/f?  (Read 901 times)

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
H2d/f?
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:12:48 pm »

Been looking at the h2 series, and have seen some for sale with film backs and can't find reliable info as to if they'll take digital backs as well? Are they the same? Totally diff? Thanks!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: H2d/f?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »

H2 body is open platform. If you don't know what the future might hold for you in terms of digital backs and you like the feel/features/costs of the h system more than the phase or contax systems then the h2 is a solid bet.

H2F is a more complicated story and was primarily made for film.

As always I think finding deals and then deciding if they fit your needs is backwards. I suggest instead to figure out what best fits your needs and then try to find a deal on it. Hands on shooting is invaluable to that process.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:40:31 pm »

The H2f was primarily designed for Hasselblad's CF backs. It was also designed to close the H platform. It does not work with Phase, Leaf, or Sinar backs. I don't know too many people that ever shot film with it. It was also compatible with the HC28mm lens, the HTS adapter, and eventually the 35-90 zoom. It was basically an H3D. The H4X will accept other backs. But you can only get one if you trade up from an H2F.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:53:16 pm »

"Built on a long legacy of analogue photography the Hasselblad H2F is Hasselblad’s contribution to photographers working with film" --- Source: Hasselblad.com

I was going to mention the CF back option for the H2F, but when people are asking basic starter questions I tend to give broader answers. In retrospect, for the benefit of the OP, I'm glad you mentioned it.

I assume you'd agree with my broader point that the H2 (or H4X as you suggest) would make better long term investment than an H2F if one was starting with medium format film, but wanted to keep long-term options open for digital backs?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:56:16 pm »

The H4X will accept other backs. But you can only get one if you trade up from an H2F.

Minor correction: H1, H2, and H2F can all be used as trade-ins to purchase an H4X.

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:23:11 am »

That's right about the H1 and H2 policy. I had had an H2F and shortly after purchasing it, the H4X came out. ... Sour grapes to be sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up