Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I would like to understand the MF look.  (Read 69518 times)

Rob C

Re: I would like to understand the MF look.
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2013, 04:38:40 am »

The photo or the dog hair?

There is a difference.

Thanks

BC

Neither: the model!

That shot you posted earlier (I've just revisited this thread - I have no MF so it's sort of irrelevant to me) from the P30 of the girl reading a scipt in the movie studio - that is beautiful colour and texture/look in my eyes, but the colour of the first one in the run I don't like at all. Which shows me yet again that so much about photography is subjective that such discussions are, ultimately, pointless, but that won't prevent them for running on forever.

Your pix are always a delight - maybe even because it's where I'd like to have been too.

Rob C

OliverM

« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2013, 05:22:05 am »

Tell that to my three cardiologists - so far.
I ... have to drink red, ..., because of their orders, based, ..., on the benefits of the deoxidants in the red. ...
Rob C

I will tell my wife first ! You have great cardiologists !
Btw, I also like most red wines around 16°C

Regarding cameras, the impact from the camera comes after the subject, composition, quality of light. Then comes post-treatment. So when looking at a picture that someone else took, you first see these elements.
When I listen to a cello concerto, I hear a melody, rythm, dynamics, I listen to both cello & orchester. The solist will listen to the tonal balance of the cello, listen to each note, evaluate his technique , etc.

Marc

jerome_m

« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2013, 07:22:15 am »

(Just answering on red wine)

Traditionally, only some red wines are drunk at room temperature. Many red wines, especially amongst the fruity ones, are drunk a bit cooler even in their region of production. For example, red wines from the Loire area (e.g. Saumur) are traditionally drunk around 14°C. It is a relatively modern aberration that lead the general public to believe all red wines should be drunk at 20°C or more.

(And now back to photography)

Rob C

« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2013, 11:21:18 am »

Traditionally, only some red wines are drunk at room temperature. Many red wines, especially amongst the fruity ones, are drunk a bit cooler even in their region of production. For example, red wines from the Loire area (e.g. Saumur) are traditionally drunk around 14°C. It is a relatively modern aberration that lead the general public to believe all red wines should be drunk at 20°C or more.

It's also banal situation ethics: as I only cook for myself on weekends, a bottle holding six glasses will stretch to three weekends if living in a fridge (the bottle - not me, but winter in Mallorca is similar) and if left at room temperature will, instead, make an excellent remover of limescale from taps.

Rob C

Telecaster

« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2013, 04:42:12 pm »

Not quite yet.   :)  Over the past few years I've become very fond of certain Argentinian and Chilean red varietals. I find they're best enjoyed both when fairly young and when fairly well chilled.

-Dave-

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2013, 04:48:00 pm »

I can at least differentiate the difference between a medium format glass of wine, a large format and a compact format.
I can better differentiate if there is Whiskey instead of wine, and even better when the glasses are finally emptied ...
:P

hjulenissen

« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2013, 04:07:47 am »

I have heard that if your meal calls for white whine, while your cellar contains only red, you might be able to save the evening by serving red wine at a lower than usual temperature.

-h

hjulenissen

« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2013, 04:08:35 am »

For example, red wines from the Loire area (e.g. Saumur) are traditionally drunk around 14°C.
I try to avoid being drunk before 18:00 :-)

-h

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2013, 11:12:40 am »

Red or white ? Rose from the Loire goes with just about everything I find, if you can find a dry one.

Anyhow....

Two images taken this very afternoon, one on a 12mp FF Nikon D3 and another on a 22mp Mamiya ZD. To my mind there is a distinct difference, other than the bothersome green caste on the Mamiya.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:15:43 am by Justinr »

fredjeang2

« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »

It's amazing they could build those cars with Citroën 2CV engine. I thought they were old BMW motorcycle ones but no.

(I wonder what's the maximum speed)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »

It's amazing they could build those cars with Citroën 2CV engine. I thought they were old BMW motorcycle ones but no.

(I wonder what's the maximum speed)

I believe the greatest factor in determining its maximum velocity is the quantity of Christmas pud consumed by the occupants!  :D

BTW, this one was actually built by Lomax as a demo and certainly sounds the part, in fact I think that's where most of its 18hp goes, rattling the windows rather than getting it anywhere!

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2013, 04:36:57 pm »

It's also banal situation ethics: as I only cook for myself on weekends, a bottle holding six glasses will stretch to three weekends if living in a fridge (the bottle - not me, but winter in Mallorca is similar) and if left at room temperature will, instead, make an excellent remover of limescale from taps.

Rob C

I guess wine kept in a fridge for a week can be used to cook - barely; the second week one can use it as salad dressing :)
What is that definition of a restaurant in hell again? English cooks, american waiters, swiss cashier ?

PS. I have a vacuum gadget, and it really works. I recommend it!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »

I guess wine kept in a fridge for a week can be used to cook - barely; the second week one can use it as salad dressing :)
What is that definition of a restaurant in hell again? English cooks, american waiters, swiss cashier ?

PS. I have a vacuum gadget, and it really works. I recommend it!

Edmund

Me too: I eat with it!

; -)

Rob C

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2013, 05:35:09 pm »

Me too: I eat with it!

; -)

Rob C

And end up pickled :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2013, 05:07:57 pm »

I think the best way to understand the MF look is to look at yourself in your bathroom mirror but may be wrong

Theodoros

« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2013, 06:09:10 pm »

Perhaps the best way to understand the "MF look" is to shoot a Zeiss of a (ten years old) Contax 645 or Hassy-V on an (again) ten years old Kodak 22mp sensor and compare it with the look of your D800… The "WTF"? claim that will come up to your mouth, should be the one and only truth… Then put that same "fat pixel magic" back on your 20 years old view camera and you have the rest of the same truth…

Rob C

« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2013, 04:45:17 am »

I think the best way to understand the MF look is to look at yourself in your bathroom mirror but may be wrong

Hmmm... all I see is a rather thin, cheap red Rioja. If for medicinal purposes, not much point in anything else: mustn't get hung up on your medication! Neither a 'blad nor Contax in sight, and not even a whiff of Deardorff! A black, unused Chanel 5 spray graces a corner of the vanitry unit, though.

;-)

Rob C

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2013, 08:00:34 am »

Does this answer the question?

- Better color accuracy and separation.
- Better sharpness and resolution
- Better overall look without having to spend a long time in post

Yep, I can see the "MF look" for sure.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2013, 08:06:47 am »

Great example of the differences.  Always nice to see a comparison shot in a situation that does not equalize everything as opposed to a studio lit image with no variation in color temp of subjects that are rather dull with no saturation. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2013, 08:32:48 am »

Hi,

Top image has more exposure and the two images have significantly different white balance. That is what I see. Sharpness is better on the Creo and the Creo has some moiré.

Would be interesting to see difference with matched exposure and correct white balance.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up