Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon AFI 300mm f2.8 ED manual focus repair  (Read 2730 times)

KingRoach

• http://photographeronbudget.blogspot.co.uk
Nikon AFI 300mm f2.8 ED manual focus repair
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:17:09 am »

Hello. I haven't found a section specific for repair issues so I've posted it here in the Lenses and gear section. Please move it to the appropriate section if that must be.

I have acquired a Nikon ED 300mm f2.8 AF-I from a photographer/journalist who pretty much abused the thing. The AF failed and Nikon doesn't have the parts, which is now a very common issue with this lens, so I bought it from him as a manual lens.

However, the manual focusing ring doesn't always clutch to the mechanism and it turns without moving anything. It works if I point the lens upwards or downwards, so apparently there's a clutch or something inside that is broken, or the gear-ring is dislocated or there is some space that shouldn't be there, or whatever.

I want to open the lens up only enough to reach that mechanism, and I'm hoping to remove as little electronics as possible in the process due to the delicacy of the wires, in case any of this becomes repairable in the future if I find the parts.

I have not found any information on the disassembly of this lens or any similar one. I could only remove the rear mount and some parts of the outer barrel, but then ran out of screws that I can remove and couldn't even get as far as the tripod mount.

What am I missing? Anybody knows how to disassemble this thing?

Would be wonderful if I can find the service manual for this lens?

Many thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up