Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to purchase 3rd party photography  (Read 13616 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: How to purchase 3rd party photography
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »

You're welcome to check my flickr site and if you're interested in buying any of them outright, just contact me by email and we can discuss the cost and terms.  Thanks.  Alan.

steveclv

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 10:06:04 am »

I thought I would just pop back in and update this thread so that if anyone else is in the same situation then they might benefit from my experiences.

I know it has been amusing and maybe upsetting to some and I'm truly sorry about that - it was asked and meant in all seriousness.

Anyway, I posted on a local forum for local photographers to send me some low rez samples of their work with a view to having them exhibited and sold in my new gallery and I received 8 inquiries over 2 weeks. I discounted 2 as I didn't like the samples of what they sent and met with the other 6. 4 of them are enthusiastic amateurs, 1 was a semi-pro who sold some of his photos online and through stock and the last one was a full time professional for a local newspaper.

The deal that I finally put together was that they would supply me with RAW where possible and I would retain the rights to manipulate/crop etc the pictures for display. I would not have any exclusivity to the photos nor would I have any electronic rights - strictly hard copy only.
I am responsible for all the printing and framing costs.
When the pictures sell, either as loose prints, matted prints or framed/gallery/glass finished artwork, then any manufacturing costs and sales taxes are deducted from the sales price and the photographer receives 30% of the sale.
The contract runs for a year and they can pull out after that - any remaining inventory either continues to be sold or they can buy it at cost price.
The photographers name is not advertised anywhere in the gallery or on the pictures.

All 6 were happy with the arrangement and we have 90 pictures currently printed, framed and displayed for sale.

I am shortly installing a couple of 50" TV screens with terminals that allow customers to view photographs that have not yet been printed to minimize on some of the inventory costs and which allow me to display more of each photographers work - although I remain in control of what is and what isn't used.

It's meant that I have no been able to add photographic styles that I would have found it hard to produce myself - one of them is strictly aerial photography and another is a keen diver and provides me with a range of great underwater material.

If anyone wants to pm me for more details etc then please feel free.

Jim Coda

• Jim Coda Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 08:18:28 pm »

Congratulations Steve. You're up and running.

Let us know how things are going in thirty or sixty days.  Also, a photo of what your gallery looks like now with the new framed pieces would be appreciated.

Jim

steveclv

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »

I'll take some shots tomorrow and post - in the meantime, this is the front of the shop from about 2 weeks ago - we were still working on the interior at the time.

steveclv

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 04:45:13 pm »

Here are some more shots (just taken with my cellphone for now)

My small studio is through the door in the back - I'll get another shot of it when it's finished :)

The last one is my small printing room with a couple of Epson Pro 3800s - one for Photo and one for Matte - anything larger than 17" I send out to be printed.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up