Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing Territory  (Read 763 times)

churly

Sharing Territory
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:52:41 pm »

In October my daughter and I went up the river to look for rock textures and make some reference photos (1).  Of most interest was the print (2) that I discovered next to my tripod hole
when I bothered to look down. Seems we were sharing the valley with a young grizz.  :)  Fortunately not at the same time.
The leaf is 3 inches (7.5 cm) long.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Colorado David

Re: Sharing Territory
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

Several years ago I walked up on a grizz track on a river bank in Alaska.  The water was just starting to ooze back into the track, which means the bear left the track just a little before I got there.  I have photographed bears, but I prefer that we each know the other is there and there are no surprises.  I hate surprises.

DwayneOakes

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »

Cool images.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:44 am »

I have photographed bears, but I prefer that we each know the other is there and there are no surprises.  I hate surprises.
The bears aren't too fond of them either... especially when you're young, or old, or a sow with cubs, or a boar looking for a partner but wary of others in the area, or a dominant male wary of challengers or... if you're a bear, generally.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

churly

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:14:09 pm »

Yes, surprise is definitely not a good thing with respect to bears.  I never could stand bear bells but I suspect my whistling was pretty lame. 
Living in Newfoundland now with only black bears and the occasional polar bear off the sea ice in the spring.  We do however have a new concern.  :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/moose-eating-shark-rescued-in-newfoundland-harbour-1.2434102

Thanks Dwayne.  We saw something like 250 deer that afternoon but none that cooperated like your pet deer.  ;D
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up