Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Ways To Increase Your Photography Website Traffic  (Read 14154 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: 50 Ways To Increase Your Photography Website Traffic
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 04:58:00 am »

Blanket statements like that just aren't useful. The world is always a more complex and varied place than you believe it to be. That statement may well be true for the person who wrote it, but to try to apply it to everyone?

Many photographers work one-on-one with individuals (as an architectural photographer, my client may be a FIRM, but ultimately my repeat business is still driven by my direct relationships with individual architects within that firm. I'm Facebook "friends" with many of them. When I blog about a project, or update my portfolio album on Facebook, they all get the update, they all get reminded about me.
Not all marketing is designed to sell a widget, right away. The most effective marketing I've ever done was nothing more than building name recognition, over the very long term. Facebook is just another arm of that effort.
Faulty logic. Almost every TV viewer HATES commercials, but that doesn't stop TV Commercials from being very effective advertising.

Which neatly illustrates a point I made earlier about how large a role FB plays in different cultures. In the US and Canada I think it is welcomed far more as new channel of communication than it is on this side of the pond where it's generally perceived as a site for dizzy teenagers and gossipy housewives. 'Real men' tend to avoid it and around here the lads just pick up the mobile for a chat rather than bother going online, the bush telegraph still works just fine thank you. Society in the west of Ireland is incredibly closely knit under the surface and far older and more set in its ways than that of the new world, the UK may well be slightly more receptive to it as a business tool but not to any great extent and I really can't see architects and other professionals scrambling on board any time soon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:01:09 am by Justinr »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

Might be of use to some: http://shuttermuse.com/50-ways-increase-photography-website-traffic/

Mike.

#51: Have lots of pictures of nekkid ladies. Guys too, what the hell!

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 05:33:44 am »

Yet more reason for avoiding FB -

So Facebook considers your thoughtful discretion about what to post as bad, because it withholds value from Facebook and from other users. Facebook monitors those unposted thoughts to better understand them, in order to build a system that minimizes this deliberate behavior. This feels dangerously close to “ALL THAT HAPPENS MUST BE KNOWN,” a motto of the eponymous dystopian Internet company in Dave Eggers’ recent novel The Circle.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/12/facebook_self_censorship_what_happens_to_the_posts_you_don_t_publish.html#!

What has not been mentioned yet is that although users of FB may be happy to have their lives examined by algorithm it is unfair to expect that others suffer the same, thus by confining their communication to the site they are rather insulting potential and present customers.

Shalimar Beekman

• Shalimar B Photography - Chicago Photographer of Children
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »

I've steered clear of using Facebook's paid (display banner) ads and "sponsored stories." After experimenting with them through trial and error, I just didn't see the ROI behind my spend. However, I really liked Facebook's ability to closely target and focus upon a specific audience segment by geographic area, age, gender, interests, zip code, etc. This was extremely helpful in focusing my ad budget and ensuring I was reaching the right audience.

Within Facebook, I find significant value in encouraging my customers to talk about my family photography and services, share their experiences and potentially refer others to my photography site. Of course, baby photography inherently lends itself to social sharing and high talk value, so I try to take advantage of that when getting exposure for my work.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:10:52 pm by Shalimar Beekman »

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 06:30:43 pm »

I personally do pretty well using Facebook as an advertising medium, never paid for the "advertising" though. Just using social media for people to latch onto stuff they like to look at and feel like they are a part of then.
-Seth
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up