Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone experience with Fuji X-E1 and Leica M lenses ?  (Read 11577 times)

hasselbladfan

Anyone experience with Fuji X-E1 and Leica M lenses ?
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:27:41 am »

I am considering a Fuji X-E1 (and a 27mm) for my wife.

Might borrow it from time to time with my Leica M lenses.

What works? What doesn't?

Telecaster

Re: Anyone experience with Fuji X-E1 and Leica M lenses ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »

A forum search should pull up some recent discussion on this topic...not isolated just to the X-E1. Short answer in my experience: you'll be fine with any focal length 35mm & up. Corner performance, both in terms of spatial resolution and tonal fidelity, can be an issue with wider lenses.

-Dave-

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 04:29:51 am »

I use a Zeiss ZM 50 f2 with the Fuji L>X adapter, it works fine. I can not locate it now, but Fuji have issued a list of compatible M mount lenses (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander).

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57:55 am »

I've found with both an X-Pro1 and a Nex-7 that legacy lenses are a pain from an operational standpoint. In particular, I don't like opening up to focus and then stopping down to shoot. With longer lenses you can generally focus stopped down, but it isn't ideal. Or you can shoot wide-open all the time...

Also, the native lenses from Fuji are very good; I don't think there are huge jumps in image quality to be had. If you're looking for better, I don't think  adapted lenses will do it for you, even Leica's finest. If you're looking for different, then you might find the look of specialized, older or "bad" lenses gives you something different.

-m

JV

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:26:02 am »

I use a Zeiss ZM 50 f2 with the Fuji L>X adapter, it works fine. I can not locate it now, but Fuji have issued a list of compatible M mount lenses (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander).

How do you like the Zeiss ZM 50/2 on the Fuji?  How does it compare to the native Fuji lenses?

Also, are you shooting it on the Leica M as well?  Any difference in performance on the Leica compared to on the Fuji?

Thanks, Joris.

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »

I've found with both an X-Pro1 and a Nex-7 that legacy lenses are a pain from an operational standpoint. In particular, I don't like opening up to focus and then stopping down to shoot. With longer lenses you can generally focus stopped down, but it isn't ideal. Or you can shoot wide-open all the time...

The early SLR systems worked like this...no auto-stopdown to shooting aperture. It's just a different method of taking photos. You quickly get used to it, provided you're invested in getting used to it. If not, no problem...Fuji's own AF lenses, along with the Zeiss Touits, are very good indeed.

-Dave-

hasselbladfan

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:04:20 pm »

Michael,

I am not pretending that the old M's are so much better. I just have the whole range and since I still use them on an MM, i don't like to invest in a second line of glass.

Agree that opening it is not fast, but agree as Telecaster said that you get quickly used to it.

I will try to use one for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the advice.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:32:43 am »

How do you like the Zeiss ZM 50/2 on the Fuji?  How does it compare to the native Fuji lenses?

Also, are you shooting it on the Leica M as well?  Any difference in performance on the Leica compared to on the Fuji?

Thanks, Joris.

This Zeiss is a fine lens, and there is no Fuji equivalent yet. Fuji will come out in early 2014 with a 56 f1.2 lens, but it is bound to be expensive. To me, the equivalent 75mm angle of view is fine for some portraits, tighter landscapes, and some walking around. Having said that, the Fuji X lenses are really good, I have the 35 f1.4 and the 14 f2.8. I do not shoot Leica M.

The other focal length I would like to have is the 75mm one, this would give me around 110mm equivalent. Leica makes very nice 75mm lenses in M mount, but they are too expensive for me.

As for using M mount lenses on the Fuji XPro1 or XE1, there is no problem at all. The EVF, with zooming in and focus peaking, works very well for manual focus. I normally use M or A modes, no problem a all. Even his last Saturday I shot my daughters volleyball game with the XE1 and the 50 ZM, with M exposure and MF, it was fun.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:00 pm »

Paulo,

I am not sure I understand. Is the EVf giving you a focus indicator?

Georges

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 11:20:45 pm »

I am not sure I understand. Is the EVf giving you a focus indicator?

The EVF won't exactly tell you when you've achieved optimum focus...no green light or other such indication. You have to decide for yourself based on a magnified EVF image and/or focus peaking. Fortunately it's usually quite obvious when you've got it right.

-Dave-

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:01:28 am »

Hi,

Based on my experience on Sony Alphas I would not trust peaking, it may be that it works better on other cameras, but on the Sony it is nowhere exact enough. Magnified focusing is as exact you can get.

Best regards
Erik

The EVF won't exactly tell you when you've achieved optimum focus...no green light or other such indication. You have to decide for yourself based on a magnified EVF image and/or focus peaking. Fortunately it's usually quite obvious when you've got it right.

-Dave-
Erik Kaffehr

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 01:14:57 pm »

The other focal length I would like to have is the 75mm one, this would give me around 110mm equivalent. Leica makes very nice 75mm lenses in M mount, but they are too expensive for me.

Paulo,

I have the Voigtlander 75mm 1.8, much cheaper than a Leica, and found it to be a very nice lens.

Martin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:58:03 pm by Martin Ranger »
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »

Based on my experience on Sony Alphas I would not trust peaking, it may be that it works better on other cameras, but on the Sony it is nowhere exact enough. Magnified focusing is as exact you can get.

I've found this is true with the X-E1 too. Where peaking does come in handy is when you're focusing on a relatively 2D object at a diagonal to you. You can see the peaking highlights travel back & forth along the object as you focus in & out.

-Dave-

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 12:08:31 am »

Thanks!

Erik

I've found this is true with the X-E1 too. Where peaking does come in handy is when you're focusing on a relatively 2D object at a diagonal to you. You can see the peaking highlights travel back & forth along the object as you focus in & out.

-Dave-
Erik Kaffehr

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 04:18:52 am »

Paulo,

I have the Voigtlander 75mm 1.8, much cheaper than a Leica, and found it to be a very nice lens.

Martin

Martin, thanks for the tip. Indeed I am aware of this lens, and also an older 75 f2.5 from Voigtlander (M screw mount I think). All I have read about these lenses is positive. But... here in Portugal I am not even sure who the representative is, to be honest, so that chills me a bit...

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 11:36:44 am »

...Where peaking does come in handy is when you're focusing on a relatively 2D object at a diagonal to you. You can see the peaking highlights travel back & forth along the object as you focus in & out.

This is a little off topic for the OP, but has anyone reading this thread tried the old school split image focus with the XE2 or one of the other more recent X's? I only tried it on the X100s and thought I liked it better than the focus peaking I get with my X20 right now. It's not exactly like the old MF SLR prisms, but produces a vaguely familiar impression.

I guess a firmware update won't add this for the XE1 since it doesn't have the PDAF pixels used for the split image focussing?

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »

But... here in Portugal I am not even sure who the representative is, to be honest, so that chills me a bit...

Yes, that might be a problem. You would have to deal with customs, and if something goes wrong with the lens, it might be hassle, too.
Martin
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Petrus

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 12:55:47 pm »

Yes, that might be a problem. You would have to deal with customs, and if something goes wrong with the lens, it might be hassle, too.
Martin

Buying from within EU means there will be no customs or duties at all. Fully mechanical manual lenses seldom have problems.

Telecaster

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 02:17:41 pm »

This is a little off topic for the OP, but has anyone reading this thread tried the old school split image focus with the XE2 or one of the other more recent X's? I only tried it on the X100s and thought I liked it better than the focus peaking I get with my X20 right now. It's not exactly like the old MF SLR prisms, but produces a vaguely familiar impression.

This is the one thing that would cause me to consider getting an X-E2. But I'll wait for someone else to try it out and report on it. I've had my hands on an X100s but didn't think to investigate manual focusing.

I guess a firmware update won't add this for the XE1 since it doesn't have the PDAF pixels used for the split image focussing?

That is correct.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up