Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Print / Profiling  (Read 1898 times)

huguito

The Digital Print / Profiling
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:52:24 am »

Hi
This is maybe a question for Mr Schewe himself, hopefully he answer it or someone else can shed some light on this confused mind.

I have used a color munki to make my own paper and monitor profiles.
Doing some re-reading of The Digital Print I found this in page 73.
"You can't use the current version of Photoshop to produce printer profiling targets, because no longer has an option to print with no color management"
"You have to use either the profiling software (When I print a target from the color munki software to profile a paper it ends up in the Epson driver, isn't printing through photoshop? )
Or you can use Adobe Color Printer Utility, free download from Adobe Labs ( I search the website and can't find that utility for download )"

I am doing it wrong printing from the color munki software and choosing OFF no color management     on the printer properties of the Epson driver for my 9600?

Using the Canon Pro-100 I can't even find an option of No Color Management

Hugo

BrianWJH

Re: The Digital Print / Profiling
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:57:59 am »

Hugo, the Adobe no color management utility can be found from this LULA thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/adobe_color_printer_utility_application.shtml

Brian.

huguito

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:37:10 am »

Thanks
But now I have a follow up question.
The download instructions mention that this only works with TIFF files.
How do I get the file out of the color munki utility to get it saved as a TIFF?
It's not a file that you can download and save.
At least I have not find the way to save it

NeroMetalliko

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 03:59:11 am »

I'm on PC, and unlucky I found ACPU not so flexible,
for example I have found troubles printing on A3+ because it lacks the proper preset in the drop down menu
and I have noticed some strange behaviors regarding the margins settings (which now I leave set always to 0).

In the past there was a workaround called "double assign" to get the task done in PS, but it seems that in latest versions this trick is recognized by PS and is not more supported/recommended. It still probably will work, but I'm not sure because I have not tried it.  

Maybe, for Epson users, there could be still the possibility to print out from PS with no CM:
in my humble understanding, by setting PS to "printer manages colors" and then setting "OFF (no color adjustments") in the mode menu of the driver panel settings,
it should do the trick, at least in theory.
I have tried to compare an Argyll target printed with ACPU and then printed in this way and found no difference,
but I'm not sure if this result was a lucky shot or not,
so I would like to have some other opinion regarding this workaround, in order to be sure I'm not missing something.  

Thanks in advance for the attention.

Ciao.

Andrea :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:13:44 am by NeroMetalliko »

NeroMetalliko

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:10:49 am »

How do I get the file out of the color munki utility to get it saved as a TIFF?
It's not a file that you can download and save.
At least I have not find the way to save it

If you are doing a profile using X-Rite Colormunki Photo software, as per what I know, you are doing it right by
printing directly from the software and choosing "OFF (no color adjustments)"  in the printer properties of the Epson driver,
as you have already written in your first post.
This is exactly the way the software was designed and intended to be used by X-Rite
(off-line printing of the target are not officially supported).

Sorry, I can't help regarding Canon settings, but there will be someone here that uses Canon and could share their experience for sure.

Ciao.

Andrea :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:16:38 am by NeroMetalliko »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:47:18 am »

You should be able to print the targets directly in the ColorMunki application then using the driver of course. It is Photoshop that has this limitation (no No Color Management option in the Print dialog) that the book refers to.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Justin B

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:36:56 am »

I am doing it wrong printing from the color munki software and choosing OFF no color management     on the printer properties of the Epson driver for my 9600?

As other have mentioned, this is the correct way to do it. Application color management would be coming from Photoshop, so cutting that out of the equation is the correct thing to do.

Using the Canon Pro-100 I can't even find an option of No Color Management

In the printer driver, you should be able to find a Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment checkbox. Check that, then click the "matching" tab and change Color Correction to "none" (this is for PC, I didn't see where you specified which OS you are using).
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color
Pages: [1]   Go Up