Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Canon MP990 SOHO printer allow "Stop unless turn ink monitoring off"?  (Read 1746 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

One of my printers is a Canon MP990 SOHO printer (letter size, CMYK+Gray, relatively fast, small, semi-opaque CLI-221 dye cartridges)

Like most printers, it reports "Low" as ink is used up, and then "Empty ... Press Resume to Continue" when it calculates it is potentially damaging to the print-head to continue. (over-heating from ink starvation).

Other Canon printers have the provision to go past "Empty" until a message like "Stop ... unless you press [some button] to disable ink-level monitoring at risk of harming your printer." (which I've never done with any of my printers ... seems like a bad idea.)

My MP990 has several ink tanks that are at the point of reporting "Low" and "Empty". Somewhat out of curiosity, I've been wondering about issuing a series of "Cleaning" and then "Nozzle Check" to see if ink level monitoring will get to the point of asking if I want to disable ink level monitoring.

My impression is this sequence of Cleaning+Nozzle-Check is harmless, and won't cause print-head over-heating from ink starvation. Is that correct, or flawed?

BTW ... I've been quite happy with my MP990, especially that it has gray ink with multiple nozzle sizes. I don't want to risk harming the print-head. I am not at all advocating that a person disable ink level monitoring. On my 9000-2, I've encountered the "Stop" a few times, which I consider a nice "Warning of Last Resort".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:16:51 pm by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear
Pages: [1]   Go Up