Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purple:Player video usability on iPad  (Read 6800 times)

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
Purple:Player video usability on iPad
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:25:57 pm »

To try out the new Purple video system, I sat down with my iPad and purchased the LR5 tutorial.

[it seemed slow ...]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:30:57 am by Paul Williamson »

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
Re: Purple:Player video usability on iPad
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:21 am »

I was a bit hasty. Just spent an hour chatting with Purple tech support, and it appears that there is some kind of severe network problem between me and their server. It's slow on the Mac as well.

Unfortunately, they were unable to resolve or isolate the problem.

Fortunately, if I use cellular on the iPad instead of wifi, it works perfectly well.

dwnelson

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:26:23 pm »

I have watched many streaming LuLa videos on my iPad and the connection is fast and reliable. Sounds like you were right, the problem is on your end, not a system problem with the Purple Player.

Stitchawl

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:25 am »

Please forgive the rant, but I've had nothing but problems with the player on iPad, iPhone, and on the PC!  Two different error messages; a .dll that couldn't be found, and a 10053 socket error problem.  The '.dll file not found - contact tech support' message gave me hope though.

When I told tech support that I was getting an error message of a missing .dll when trying to download purchased material, they told me that the problem was related to somebody else's program, and not their problem. They suggested I reload that other program. I did, but the PurplePlatform program still showed the same missing .dll error message afterwards. When I told them that the 'missing' .dll was in my computer and that 'I' could find it, they became upset. When I asked them why the error message only showed up when trying to download into their program they became even more upset. When I told them that the program that had the missing .dll worked with no problems, they really became upset. So much so that they never even tried to deal with the socket error problem I reported.

So figuring I had nothing to lose, I copied the .dll from the other program into the PurplePlatform directory, and that solved my missing .dll problem.
Tech support might want to add that suggestion into their tool kit.

I tried contacting tech support again for the socket error problem and got the following reply; "all we can say is that this couldn’t have happened to a nicer person."  I had originally though that the company was a professional outfit. I guess I was mistaken.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50:00 am »

I have sent you a PM. Please contact me.

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:12:56 am »

Here is the response that I have received from the folks at Purple:

"This is actually unrelated to Luminous, this customer bought a music lesson video from Homespun, another client.

He had a faulty QuickTime installation, the first one we've run into in over 130,000 cases. If QuickTime is installed, the Homespun player plays a startup sound, if it's not, it doesn't, but this computer erroneously reported QuickTime was properly installed.

Tech support was very nice to him, but I can't say he appreciated it, he has been complaining all over the place.

...we take problems like this very seriously, just because our 99.4% beats Apple's 85% or Amazon's 65% doesn't mean we're satisfied. We are working our asses off to close the gap between 99.4% and 100%.

Also, this customer told us everything is working perfectly, so he is one of our success stories... Go figure."

...interesting.

'Stitchawl', please contact me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:20:17 am by Chris Sanderson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up