Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss 55mm Distagon  (Read 5075 times)

torger

Re: Zeiss 55mm Distagon
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:59 am »

Don't forget this is an 55mm f1.4 APO design. I think 4K is quite reasonable.

Yes it probably is, it's an advanced design with lots of large glass and very high precision requirements in mounting (to get the targeted resolution), this leads to big heavy and expensive. Other manufacturers could do a similar design with similar performance if they'd like to, but probably thought it would be too unpractical and expensive.

There's certainly a place for this type of lens line though I think, further narrowing the gap to medium format. While f/1.4 at this resolution seems a bit overkill for a manual focusing lens when it comes to all-around use, it will be great to have f/1.4 for accurate live view focusing when shooting landscapes from a stable tripod.

Someone who knows what the roadmap for this lens line is, what focal lengths will be next? 55mm is one of the "easier" ones to make, it would be most interesting to see what they can do with say a 24mm lens, or even better a 24mm tilt-shift :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Zeiss 55mm Distagon
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »

...Someone who knows what the roadmap for this lens line is, what focal lengths will be next? 55mm is one of the "easier" ones to make, it would be most interesting to see what they can do with say a 24mm lens, or even better a 24mm tilt-shift :)...

I do not know their roadmap, but when building very nice and expensive Z-wideangles they always seem to forget the extreme corners...
Even their most expensive distagon 15mm f2.8 lens costing more than 2600€ fails to address the extreme corners...
So a true architectural 24mmTS lens would probably cost ...     a lot
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up