Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG import to Capture One  (Read 13048 times)

torger

DNG import to Capture One
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:41:55 am »

I'm trying to figure out what types of DNGs Capture One 7 can import. Can anyone help me out?

Can it only import out-of-camera DNGs like Leica M9, or can it import any DNG converted by Adobe DNG Converter? That is if I convert my Canon files in Adobe DNG Converter, can I open those in Capture One?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: DNG import to Capture One
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:14:42 am »

It can import "any DNG converted by Adobe DNG Converter", but it just does a second-rate job converting them and refuses to apply its camera/lens specific features. It does a proper job with out-of-camera DNGs, but sadly PhaseOne are pretty lukewarm about DNG.

torger

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:18:11 am »

Thanks... I just tested a few files, and it seems like it renders colors incorrectly for the imported DNGs, ie it does not follow the DNG specificiation of how to interpret the embedded DCP files. And it does not seem to be possible to just assign the internal color profiles, the color rendering is still different from what it is with the original raw file.

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »

I tried to ask others to write to P1 about the **full** DNG support. I doubt it will happen. I kind of regretted converting my RAWS into DNGs. My DNGs are made with the Adobe DNG Converter and it is the "RAW" format, e.g. the CR2s are made into **mosaic** DNGs "the true RAW." When these DNG are used in C1PRO, features like Lens Correction no longer works, even though the mosaic DNG is of the **supported** camera.

I don't know. That kind of pissed me a little. I liked DNGs, just because they are smaller, when compared to CR2. We all know that when we have lots and lots of images to backup on occassion, smaller file sizes does add up to shorter transfer time to the external drive.

I now recommend anyone to NOT use DNG, when they want to exclusively use PhaseONE as their RAW converter. Keep your RAWs at their native CR2 or NEF format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up