Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013  (Read 15902 times)

Rob C

Re: Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:41 am »

No.

I agree; I don't like uncomfortable situations at all. Mainly, I just reserve judgement when it's about specific images, but nevertheless, some things push patience a bit far and I think that if someone is willing to go public, then maybe that person enjoys defending the stuff...

If not, there's always Without Prejudice where images can just be seen without reconstructional advice, which in my head, is seldom desired. It, the photograph, is what it is, the product of the moment; neither more nor less than that. IMO.

Rob C

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 11:48:22 am »

Humourless eh?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 12:12:41 pm »

Humourless eh?
I'm not without a sense of humour.
I just don't find "winding up" people very funny, it's basically a bit malicious, effectively trolling.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »

You're doing very well to hide it. Winding up equals trolling?  ::)

Isaac

dreed

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 02:52:16 pm »

A curious thing to do. Such grossly over processed images don't reflect well on the originator with many photographers I know.

It comes down to whether they are trying to create art using their photographs or create a photograph that is a piece of art.

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 03:36:22 am »

It comes down to whether they are trying to create art using their photographs or create a photograph that is a piece of art.

There's some value to the argument that when one tries to create photographic art one fails, at best producing a pleasant image, but that the rare times one does create photographic art, it's through a totally unselfconscious operation, almost incidental to the process: one just does it.

Rob C

jeremyrh

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 02:16:07 am »

If a cleaner leaves a mop and bucket in an art gallery, it's a mop and bucket. If an artist leaves a mop and bucket in an art gallery, it's art. If a LuLa contributor leaves a mop and bucket in an art gallery, it's "having fun".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 02:47:44 am »

Nice one :)

viewfinder

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 03:58:31 am »

I find several aspects of this matter irritating.......

Without getting into the 'what is art' argument, it IS undeniably true that photography is usually a craft with numerous difficulties and problems that must be solved by a 'craftsperson' who hopefully graduates over time and experience into being a 'craftsman'.   There is much to do for a person to reach the status of a craftsman.

As we know, a craftsman who struggles and persevers over a long(ish) period can, with some intelligence and natural ability, produce work which becomes 'art'.....ie., the work holds content and facility that adds up to something more than the 'mere' craftsmanship used to make that work.......

History is full of such craftsmen......to name but three; the English car model maker Gerald Wingrove,...the French Napoleonic prisoners of war who used meat bones to make artifacts for sale,....and the late Englishman George Daniels, arguably the greatest living horologist who only made 37 watches in his life which now fetch multi million dollar prices.     These, and some other craftsmen, developed their own techniques and struggled for many years until they unwittingly became 'artists'.    They did NOT see themselves as artists and never used or claimed such a title.....George Daniels for example did not use the word 'artist' five time in three paragraphs of his website.......

The title 'artist' is not granted to many craftsmen and has to be earned by public attention and comment, as distinct from workers in the 'arts' proper.   You can call yourself whatever you like but if you are faking it the public will simply ridicule your 'art' and any pretentiouness will seal your fate.   To state that  "...I can make Capture One, Lightroom and Photoshop do amazing things.  I am an accomplished photographer...."  is to set yourself up as a target for ridicule, especially if you obviously set out to annoy people with crude use of these priceless skills!

daws

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »

^ Proof of Chateau's Corollary to Godwin's law:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of
a comparison involving the Napoleonic Wars approaches 1"

HSway

• Sunwaysite
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:31 am »

There is the basis and the Distinction I think.
Both approaches, then, are not fixed categories but an open space for an interpretation to some degree.
(As we approach the degree, number of views that agree increases sharply.)

Then again, having clear idea about one’s own intent, motivation and vision relative to either helps greatly to negotiate one’s way through the potential (mental) chaos.
Or, to not perceiving it at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up