Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stapler for Canvas  (Read 11284 times)

smjphoto

Re: Stapler for Canvas
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 08:35:58 pm »

I think you do want a compressor that uses oil. Typically, the oil-less ones are noisier and in an unpleasant way. If you drain the water out of the tank after use, a good compressor ( w/ oil reservoir ) could last you the rest of your life. The only issue with one that uses oil, to my knowledge, is if you use the air to blow off dust, small amounts  of oil (minute) can be spit out and contaminate the art. For interior use, I recommend you consider locating the compressor in a different room than you will use it for noise relief. Air hoses are cheap, but it is really worth it to have a hose or a short hose that you connect to the gun that is really flexible. They cost more but a stiff hose will drive you crazy, especially if you aren't used to air tools.
Also, the air tool recommendations about a tool that really lasts is not very meaningful, as none of the old designs are still in production. The good news is there are lots of good choices and they are less expensive than they used to be. Framing is a very easy life for an air tool. Most are designed for construction sites or industrial use. The most important characteristic is how far the tool drives the staple. I think an adjustable depth is nice, but many guns are designed to drive staples flush and others are designed to not cut through the fabric by leaving the crown proud. I have no expertise with which current guns are best w canvas, but obviously others here do.
Stuart

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 09:57:03 am »

I heard, or read somewhere the same thing about oil being sprayed out as well and why I asked about it.  I was really hoping to use it to blow dust as well.  I'm looking at the Porter Cable US58 which has a "rear exhaust port channels air and tool oil/condensation away from user" - and I assume away from whatever you're blowing. 

It's also considered an upholstery gun, so I would think work well with the canvas.

Framah... is this the model you mentioned you have?  Any problems with oil?
Mike Guilbault

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 10:50:36 am »

Stapling the back of stretched canvas onto bars is fairly light duty fare, so no need to go too crazy on a staple gun outside of selecting a reliable performer.

I use a Surebonder 9600 with a small built-in compressor in my studio.  It does use a couple of drops of air tool oil, but never a problem with it "spitting out."  Oil is used sparingly!  Air tools can also "spit out" moisture from the air compressor, but very occasional draining of the tank is all that is really needed to address this.  There are small reservoirs you can install between the air hose and tool to catch the spit, but frankly I really think that would be unnecessary and overkill.  My Surebonder 9600 never jams (really) and is simply a reliable tool. It makes stapling easy every time.

:)

Bullfrog

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:21 pm »

Stapling the back of stretched canvas onto bars is fairly light duty fare, so no need to go too crazy on a staple gun outside of selecting a reliable performer.

I use a Surebonder 9600 with a small built-in compressor in my studio.  It does use a couple of drops of air tool oil, but never a problem with it "spitting out."  Oil is used sparingly!  Air tools can also "spit out" moisture from the air compressor, but very occasional draining of the tank is all that is really needed to address this.  There are small reservoirs you can install between the air hose and tool to catch the spit, but frankly I really think that would be unnecessary and overkill.  My Surebonder 9600 never jams (really) and is simply a reliable tool. It makes stapling easy every time.

:)

Thanks for this.  I keep wondering what I'm doing wrong?  My staple gun is not fancy, it doesn't have any power (what a luddite) and  it works - really! without banging in afterwards.
 It is however annoying at times because it jams so I appreciate the information on this thread because I would like to upgrade - but I really don't want to invest in a compressor.
Just like the three bears...some staplers are too heavy, some are too soft, but this one is just right.
 ;)

ETA:  Question - did you recommend the expensive one (all of $56 Cdn) or the cheaper one?

http://www.amazon.ca/Surebonder-9600A-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B000EOJPC6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

http://www.amazon.ca/Surebonder-Pneumatic-Narrow-Stapler-Carrying/dp/B006KBJ98M/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1_G6RJ
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:05:56 pm by Bullfrog »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »

ETA:  Question - did you recommend the expensive one (all of $56 Cdn) or the cheaper one?

http://www.amazon.ca/Surebonder-9600A-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B000EOJPC6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

http://www.amazon.ca/Surebonder-Pneumatic-Narrow-Stapler-Carrying/dp/B006KBJ98M/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1_G6RJ

I didn't know about the heavy duty "A" model.  They look alike!  I have the erudite plebian model 9600.  ;)   I use it with a small Cambell Hausted air compressor. It is small and tucks away nicely--I probably spent no more than ~$100 on the compressor. 

framah

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 01:58:34 pm »

Yep. That's the stapler I have and no problems with it at all.

As for oil in the air from the compressor.. that's why you install filters in line.  My compressor has 2 lines coming from it that go up into the drop ceiling and then splitters off to different parts of the room.
The old compressor was a pancake one and very noisy and was in the utility room enclosed with rigid styrofoam to help muffle the sound.
The new one is out in the room and tho i plan to make a tiny "room" over it to quiet it, it only comes on when I'm using air and it isn't that bad.

Unfortunately, it was about 2" bigger all around than the place where the old one was so I had to reroute all of the hoses to the new spot.
By the way.... when you get your compressor, use quick connect thingies for all of the connections.

Now, I have to replace my 4366 heat press as it is getting old and cranky.

It never ends!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Bullfrog

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:22 pm »

I didn't know about the heavy duty "A" model.  They look alike!  I have the erudite plebian model 9600.  ;)   I use it with a small Cambell Hausted air compressor. It is small and tucks away nicely--I probably spent no more than ~$100 on the compressor. 

Thanks.  I need to read to figure out if the heavy duty is worth the investment.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:45 am »

Framah... since you have the same compressor and gun I'm looking at I'll ask you directly... when stretching a typical canvas, how often does the compressor recycle?  I'm thinking about noise levels here.  I have a laundry room right beside my framing/stretching area and could probably put the compressor in there and run a hose through the wall if needed.  But if only comes on occasionally then even that may not be necessary.
Mike Guilbault

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 11:32:06 am »

Another recommendation for putting a filter on the air line. If there is no filter you can expect water and oil to come through the hose. The more humid the air in general, the more water will be spit out.

If you’re gonna adapt to using an air compressor, get one with a larger air tank/reservoir. They cycle a lot less frequently and don’t cost that much more.

framah

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »

So far, the compressor comes on while I'm blowing off the work table and the chop saw with the air gun. When stapling, it might come on only once.... and even then because it might not have been at full pressure when you started.

V-nailing and it only comes on after 3 or 4 frame joins. Depends also on how many times I depress and release the clamps to get the mldg. tight.

Figure that the stapler uses alot less air than the v-nailer.

Personally, I'd go ahead and put it into the laundry room. Even a quiet one is still an annoyance when you are trying to listen to Mozart while you are working. :)
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

Well I got the Makita Mac2400.. damn that sucker is heavy! Luckily it's going to stay in one spot but at least I have the option of moving it if I have to.  I got everything except the stapler. The PC US58 could not be found anywhere in Barrie.  The only 'upholstery style' stapler I could find was the Paslode US-100. I may have to order it online.

The manual that comes with it is pathetic. There is no diagram to indicate what the different components are - only and exploded parts diagram - but they don't label those parts with the same name they mention in the instructions.  A little frustrating but I think I have it figured out.  Too late now to run the 'break-in' period so I'll have to do it tomorrow night.
Mike Guilbault

StuNY

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11:06 pm »

Well I got the Makita Mac2400.. damn that sucker is heavy! Luckily it's going to stay in one spot but at least I have the option of moving it if I have to.  I got everything except the stapler. The PC US58 could not be found anywhere in Barrie.  The only 'upholstery style' stapler I could find was the Paslode US-100. I may have to order it online...

I got it here on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-US58-22-Gauge-C-Crown-Upholstery/dp/B00004SBC3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380596809&sr=8-1

framah

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:40 am »

The main thing is to remember to remove the plastic plug on the left side of the compressor and screw in the air filter.
If you don't remove the plug, the compressor will run but no air will compress as no air can get in.

...and YES! I know that for EXACTLY the reason you think I know it.  ::)

framah

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 10:16:00 am »

Amazon has the Porter Cable US58 listed for  $79. Can't you buy stuff from Amazon in Canada?

Heck... if you want it, I can buy it for you and send it to you listed as a personal gift and you can send me a money order or check.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:17:33 am by framah »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 10:53:57 am »

It's about $109 from Busy Bee in Canada - listed on their website but the guy in the store said they don't carry it anymore.  I left to look elsewhere so didn't follow up on it at the store.  I noticed now that Larson-Juhl carries the Senco SJS.  It's also been discontinued but they think they may have a couple left and are getting back to me.  Not sure what the replacement to that one is, but Senco seem to list two upholstery staplers, the SFT10XP and SFW09.  

I'm trying to find something I can pick up in the next couple of days as I have a bunch of canvases to stretch... but if I can't get a decent one in that time I may take you up on your offer Framah - or just order one online.  I appreciate the offer!

YIIKES!  Just got the quote from Larson on the Senco SJS at $$308. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:02:28 am by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 10:57:34 am »

The main thing is to remember to remove the plastic plug on the left side of the compressor and screw in the air filter.
If you don't remove the plug, the compressor will run but no air will compress as no air can get in.

...and YES! I know that for EXACTLY the reason you think I know it.  ::)

Figured that one out... but thanks for the head's up.  No mention of that in the manual! :o 
Mike Guilbault

framah

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 11:50:41 am »

Yeah, the manual pretty much sucks.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 01:09:59 pm »

Called Busy Bee this morning to order the US58 and they just got one on their truck this morning.  Drove down right away and got it so I'm good to go! 

I also picked up a box of 3/8" upholstery staples.  Seemed like the most useful size. Is there any preference for staple sizes?

Mike Guilbault

StuNY

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 01:17:49 pm »

I also picked up a box of 3/8" upholstery staples.  Seemed like the most useful size. Is there any preference for staple sizes?

That is what I am using for canvas in this gun and they work well. Also still easy enough to take one back out if you decide to redo one. Would probably not like to remove an entire canvas worth though!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up