Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just ordered a Canon pro-100  (Read 19864 times)

arlon

• Pbase account
Just ordered a Canon pro-100
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:48 am »

I figured for the deals going on now ($35 delivered) I could throw it away after a few prints if I don't like it. I still want a larger printer but also wanted something for small stuff. I couldn't find any real horror stories on the pro-100 so I order it I did. I'm not too concerned about longevity of the print, I don't sell to others so it only has to last as long as I do. WIll order a second set of ink carts then most likely just refill from there on to keep the cost down. Tiny ink cartridges is the biggest issue I see. Also read some negative comments on B&W prints. Maybe just need to find the right paper/profile combination?

I also ordered a sampler pack of papers from Red River, figured that would be a good starting point. Anyone have something they have settled on with this printer, especially for B&W??
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Just ordered a Canon pro-100
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:13:54 am »

$35? Can you get me one too? They're over £350 here in the UK

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
B/W and Pro-100
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:15 am »

See: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52090371

this printer is superb for B/W - you just need to set it up correctly. Read through this thread...several good points therein.

You can order a second printer (the additional single print head might be useful at some point) for the same rebate ($99 including shipping...if you found it for $35 do let us know how/where) for the same price...just order from a different retailer and yes, you can get the same rebate (check the PDF form - it will be a different code # - so all legit and legal). Many people have done this with no problem...

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:09:38 am »

It was $400 with a $300 rebate and a $70 pack of Canon paper free. I figure I'd have to by paper anyway so with the rebate and free shipping on the printer and $70 worth of paper and $5 shipping on the paper it nets out to me at $35.. I don't understand why the big overseas retailers aren't getting the same rebates through the end of this month.  

I'll check out that article, B&W issues was the only real concern I had. Figured it might just need wringing out a little.
Thanks Robert, that link was VERY helpful. Funny the guy on dpreview is on the same system as I am, I even tossed a hopelessly clogged R1800 in the trash a few weeks ago.. (-:}
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:19:22 am by arlon »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:22 am »

I bought one too. I got my rebate back in about 2 weeks. I got the paper too and figured either the paper or the printer was free depending on how I choose look at it. Dye gets bad press because it's not as permanent as pigment but both will outlast wet prints when printed on the correct types of paper, and dye, I think, looks better than pigment in many cases.

This is the first time I have printed digital B&W and I'm considering closing my darkroom. I printed B&W on Ilford Gold Mono and Canson Platine and was very pleased with both.

I have also used Canon Pro luster which I like very much except the surface degrades sharpness lightly, Ilford Smooth Gloss which I also like, Canson super glossy which is beautiful except for the mirror finish, Harman Glossy FB (nice), Canson Baryta (a little dull but still nice), Ilford Gold Fiber Silk (nice) and probably some others I have forgotten. Profiles have been easy to find, Canson, Red River, Ilford and Hannemuhle all have profiles available. The Pro 100 is a great choice for the money. ENJOY!!

ftbt

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:07:48 am »

I ordered one as well several months ago. Basically the same discount deal. I already have a Canon ipf 8300, but I needed something that I could use to print my note-cards for my exhibition this month in Italy (www.visionsfromlamorra.com). I ordered note-card paper from Red River (60 lb. Pecos Gloss) and I am extremely pleased.

Bullfrog

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »

It was $400 with a $300 rebate and a $70 pack of Canon paper free.

Are you in the USA?

If this is the printer then here in Ontario Canada - the place where EVERYTHING costs more - its $490 with a $100 rebate which is not exactly the same deal 
 :(

http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoPrinters/265261/canon-pixma-pro-100-printer.aspx

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:34:04 pm by Bullfrog »

rgs

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 05:05:59 pm »

Same printer. Sorry  >:(

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 05:38:09 pm »

... Canada - the place where EVERYTHING costs more - its $490 with a $100 rebate which is not exactly the same deal ...

$490 CAD = £299. Here in the UK, where everything really does cost more, it's £350, with no sodding rebate  :(

Bullfrog

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »

$490 CAD = £299. Here in the UK, where everything really does cost more, it's £350, with no sodding rebate  :(

Ha. 
 :-*

I checked B&H (its not that far from Ontario and I figured shipping would still net a better deal) - the price is $399 less $200 mail in rebate but when you read the fine print I am 99% certain its only for US customers (its a Lot of fine print and I have a very short attention span when it comes to reading legal documents just to get a freaking rebate)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html

Even then its $199 - not $100 - and no free paper.

So, I have to ask.  WHERE exactly is this utopia where things are free and life is bliss. 

rgs

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:52 pm »

Well I'm in Oklahoma. And re-thinking my UK trip plans ;D

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:52 pm »

I ordered mine from adorama...

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 05:03:39 am »

Well I'm in Oklahoma. And re-thinking my UK trip plans ;D

Packing any Canon printers in your luggage?  ;)

leuallen

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 01:40:50 am »

I ordered one and got it today. Ran a couple of prints and they came out very good.

I have a question. You are not supposed to double profile and it's normally best to let the application control the color and turn of color management in the printer.
What settings do set to accomplish this? Printing from LR 5.2RC.

ED: on a PC.

Larry
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:54:35 am by leuallen »

Robert DeCandido PhD

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 05:46:44 am »

Are you printing via a PC or a Mac - Macs and Canon printers/software sometimes do not get along well...anyway, for instructions on what (how) to turn off Printer Manages everything...to let Photoshop (Lightroom) handle everything:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52032426

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 10:34:11 am »

I've been very happy with my Pro-100 since buying it in December 2012, but at a significantly higher cost than today's price. What a steal, although watch out for sticker shock when you reorder inks. BTW, the prints are out of this world for a printer at this price.

Best wishes,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »

Anyone refilling ink carts? I considered the ink price and found a few places that put an 13x19 at almost $3 worth of ink per print. That won't do and if I can't get satisfactory results from refilled cartridges I'll simply have to toss the printer. I figured for the price it would be worth at least trying. I already ordered a second set of factory cartridges and hope to refill and shuttle them back and forth. Those tiny, expensive ink cartridges have to be the achilles heel of this printer.

Robert DeCandido PhD

Inks for Pixma-100
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 04:27:28 am »

Bullfrog

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »

Anyone refilling ink carts? I considered the ink price and found a few places that put an 13x19 at almost $3 worth of ink per print. That won't do and if I can't get satisfactory results from refilled cartridges I'll simply have to toss the printer. I figured for the price it would be worth at least trying. I already ordered a second set of factory cartridges and hope to refill and shuttle them back and forth. Those tiny, expensive ink cartridges have to be the achilles heel of this printer.

Toss it over here if you feel so inclined, I'm happy to take your scraps  ;)

Yes, $3 a pop is a lot - but how many ink cartridges can you buy before you even come close to paying for an Epson 3880 (I think that is the comparable model).  If yes, I checked the Epsom printer price and it was around $1000 with a rebate . 
http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoEpson/246052/epson-stylus-pro-3880-printer.aspx

Even here in Ontario - if I pay $300 for the Canon - its $700 cheaper.  That is hard to beat.

I've learned a ton from this thread and really appreciate all the posts because I was thinking I would have to go with Epsom for a dedicated b/w printer but after reading the reviews- this Canon printer appears to be an excellent alternative.

If people disagree - I would love to know why I should spend more for Epsom.

Sal Baker

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 09:20:48 pm »

Toss it over here if you feel so inclined, I'm happy to take your scraps  ;)

Yes, $3 a pop is a lot - but how many ink cartridges can you buy before you even come close to paying for an Epson 3880 (I think that is the comparable model).  If yes, I checked the Epsom printer price and it was around $1000 with a rebate . 
http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoEpson/246052/epson-stylus-pro-3880-printer.aspx

Even here in Ontario - if I pay $300 for the Canon - its $700 cheaper.  That is hard to beat.

I've learned a ton from this thread and really appreciate all the posts because I was thinking I would have to go with Epsom for a dedicated b/w printer but after reading the reviews- this Canon printer appears to be an excellent alternative.

If people disagree - I would love to know why I should spend more for Epsom.
There are many reasons why people spend more for the Epson 3880.  They are not comparable models.

The 3880 is a wide format printer that prints up to 17-inches wide.  It's a pigment ink printer vs. a dye ink printer.  Another big difference is ink costs.  The Pro-100 has only a 13ml tank capacity compared to the 80ml ink cart capacity of the 3880.  The 3880 comes loaded with the equivalent of 5 additional Pro-100 ink cart replacements that would cost $618 to match what comes included with the 3880 (currently US $929 at B&H). 

The Pro-100 would still be cheaper, as it should be for a smaller format printer.  But it wouldn't take long for it to be much more expensive to operate using those tiny 13ml carts.

I think the Pro-100 sounds like a great bargain.  It's just not supposed to be a "comparable" model with the 3880.

Sal
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up