Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe lowers prices on PS Lr cc combo  (Read 31852 times)

CoyoteButtes

Re: Adobe lowers prices on PS Lr cc combo
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:47 am »

Well duh. Never mind. I have an old copy of PSCS3 in the box with the S/N still on it. That should do it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:08 am »

If you don't own a recent copy of CS then this new offer does not apply to you.

If you own CS3 or newer you get it.  CS3 was released in April of 2007 ... not very recent. This pretty much covers the vast majority of their photographer user base - I don't think there are many users of CS2 or older around.
Or in other words, if you've already spent a lot of money on Adobe products then they'll let you get on the rental supply chain for less than if you haven't.
mmm, so if I've been a user of Adobe products and have invested money in Photoshop, i get a better deal?

Pretty much standard policy for many successful companies ... nothing unique.  Whats  wrong with rewarding a good user?  I have no problem with this, and in fact think it is quite fair and logical.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 11:48:55 am »

I have PSCS6 as part of the Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium. Does this mean that I cannot get the $9.99/mo price on Photoshop CC?

Why would that happen?  You own CS6, no?

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 06:41:35 pm »

Peter, Terry White's blog says that suites do not qualify for the $9.99/mo deal.

http://terrywhite.com/adobe-creative-cloud-bundle-photographers-announced-photoshop-world/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:08 pm »

Peter, Terry White's blog says that suites do not qualify for the $9.99/mo deal.

Makes sense, they'd rather have all of your money, not just some of it.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Pogo33

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 02:04:56 pm »

The Cost of being Obstinate:

So far I fail to see the benefit of Subscriptions. Adobe's senior management has alienated a significant portion of their user base, mobilizing them into opposition, lost a significant portion of the support community (like book writers and publishers) with the CC product and had to provide lower earnings guidance to the investment community through the next two years as well as paint a big target on their back. The only short term positive return has been the performance of their stock. Given time I predict that it will trade lower. Had Adobe been a retail company, the investment community would not have treated lightly, Adobe's squandering of its customer's goodwill.

Adobe knew they were going to have a problem with their user base and preceded their subscription announcement with lower projected earnings, but I think they under estimated the lack of gullible people who would sign up for their subscription service. I rather doubt the "good will pronouncements" that they have listened to the Photographers, but rather this is motivated by their need of another vehicle to build up their subscription numbers before the next quarterly earnings release. As it is, this latest twist from Adobe raises as many questions as it satisfies.

There has been a rather complex discussion of the relationship between LR standalone, LRCC, PS6 and PSCC. Had Adobe made this offering at the time they made the subscription only announcement, I would imagine there would have been less of an angry outcry, as it is, people like me refused to subscribe to CC in total, purchased LR and reluctantly signed up for the temporary $9.99 PSCC option to bide time. Now, as I understand it, I will be automatically rolled into the new offering which will include the purchased LR (assume this is LRCC which is supposed to have PSCC options) that I have already made. Now comes the problems.

The Adobe FAQ page on this offering says that the $9.99 rate will be permanent. There will be NO price changes for this offering. I find this hard to believe but I suppose at $120 a year, for PS and LR is less than I was paying now, but then I was a Creative Suit member which I will no longer pay for. But here are some of the real issues. What is now Adobe's commitment to maintaining PS6? What happens to my LR license in the future when I receive my upgrades and new releases from CC? Will I have to maintain both? Let's say, a year from now, Adobe releases a new version of LR (will there be new version releases of LR?), will I have to pay for a new license as well as receive in through CC? I know this ruffles the ears of some of the contributors here, but I no longer trust the senior management of Adobe.

Another question, after being direct to the FAQ page on "Photoshop Photography Program" I also read the FAQ's listed there on other Adobe Programs. One word that repeatedly jumped out at me was the use of the word "purchase." i.e., "Work with your Adobe account executive regarding purchase options for Creative Cloud for enterprise. Request a consultation now" and "Available in July, government customers will be able to purchase the Creative Cloud Desktop Applications subscription via Adobe’s CLP-G licensing program. " How is this term used here? What are they purchasing?

Finally, in various posts and comments, there is the repeated reference that the subscription program "is here to stay and that there is no turning back". Let me echo the observations of several users here that "nothing in the future is certain." If senior management is not able to garner the revenues and subscription rates they promised the Board of Directors, the Board will replace them with new management.

Yesterday, an analyst for the automotive industry made an interesting observation regarding the turn around of the US automotive industry. The old management of 5 years ago made cars to make money. They were replaced by senior management who believe in making cars based on what customers wanted. Right now Adobe's management is focused on making money and now on what their users want. As such it will be a long tough road downhill and it is better for us to find a new vehicle to ride in.

Earl Robicheaux

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 03:14:50 pm »

I subscribed on July 30 or 31 to a one-application subscription of Photoshop for the $9.99 price for a year, and then $19.99 after that.  I wonder if Adobe would let me switch to the LR+PS special?

Im in the same boat, I had the same question. I asked a sales rep at Adobe this morning. Answer was yes. Promotion doesn't start till' 17th this month though.

MikeChambers

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 03:20:06 pm »

Im in the same boat, I had the same question. I asked a sales rep at Adobe this morning. Answer was yes. Promotion doesn't start till' 17th this month though.

If you subscribed to the $9.99 PS CC offer, you will automatically be upgraded to the Photography offer, which includes Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

hubell

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 03:50:17 pm »

I understood the original furor when Adobe originally announced the adoption of a subscription based program for Photoshop, $240 per year to start and no cap on how high the rent may go in the future. However, Adobe has listened and responded with what I believe is an exceptionally attractive offer. $9.95 per month for the latest versions of both Photoshop and Lightroom, with the promise of no price increases. Ever. We can all speculate as to Adobe's motivation in making  this offer, but I could care less why Adobe did it. For all those who screamed when Adobe made its original offer, be happy, you won. Be smart and take advantage. And if you think you may not be able to afford $120 per year in the future for something that's important to you, I think in all candor you have much bigger problems to worry about than Adobe. [G]

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 04:17:08 pm »

I understood the original furor when Adobe originally announced the adoption of a subscription based program for Photoshop, $240 per year to start and no cap on how high the rent may go in the future. However, Adobe has listened and responded with what I believe is an exceptionally attractive offer. $9.95 per month for the latest versions of both Photoshop and Lightroom, with the promise of no price increases. Ever.

Is that for the current versions only, or also for the perhaps future version of Photoshop CC XL and Lightroom CC XL (or NG, for new generation)?

Just a friendly warning, try not to be gullible, and don't trust gifts from strange men.

TANSTAAFL. It's only opportunity cost for Adobe in the short term to meet their subscription numbers goal. Wait longer and they'll be giving them away for free. After that, it's gloves off again.

Cheers,
Bart

chez

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 04:26:12 pm »

Is that for the current versions only, or also for the perhaps future version of Photoshop CC XL and Lightroom CC XL (or NG, for new generation)?

Just a friendly warning, try not to be gullible, and don't trust gifts from strange men.

TANSTAAFL. It's only opportunity cost for Adobe in the short term to meet their subscription numbers goal. Wait longer and they'll be giving them away for free. After that, it's gloves off again.

Cheers,
Bart

I understand why you have WOLF in your name...all you do is cry wolf. We heard you already...time to change the song.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »

I understand why you have WOLF in your name...all you do is cry wolf. We heard you already...time to change the song.

I've explained why the subscription scheme won't go away (maturity phase in the product lifecycle), and what the business decisions are to motivate such a move. I've told people before that the prices would come down before Dec 31st, and guess what happened ...

I'm now telling you they'll be giving subscriptions away for free or add to the offering (=opportunity cost) if they still fall short of meeting their subscription numbers goal.

It pays to wait ...

But, by all means ignore my advice if you want. In a true democracy, people tend to get the 'government' they vote for.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:38:21 pm by BartvanderWolf »

MikeChambers

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 04:33:08 pm »

As long as you remain a member of Creative Cloud, you will have access to all updates and new versions of the software (including both dot releases, and full new versions).

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Arlen

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 05:24:42 pm »

I can understand why for some people the old model is still preferred. But this latest move by Adobe makes it cost effective for me, and I'm much more satisfied with the arrangement. I suspect many others will eventually make the same judgement.

This latest decision seems like a win-win. Photographers who frequently updated both Photoshop and Lightroom will now get them for about the same price as, or less than, the previous retail cost. Adobe will get more photographers who previously used only LR to upgrade to CC, since they will now have access to PS without a prohibitively higher cost. Then as more photographers use PS, they will become a bigger part of the PS customer base, thus wielding more influence on Adobe's marketing strategies.

Greg Barnett

• http://
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 05:41:40 pm »

Just a quick clarification, if you took advantage of the $9.99 offer for PS CC, then you will automatically be transitioned to the new offer (i.e. you will get Lightroom). If you have a regular, $19.99 subscription to PS CC, you will need to contact customer support to transition to the new offer.

We are updating the FAQ to make this clearer.

Mike,

Since the FAQ states that suites are not eligible (and that's what I've bought in the past) for the program, I want to make sure that I understand this based on your comment above. If I subscribe today to the single app CC version of Photoshop for $19.99, that can be converted to the new $9.99 offer after the 17th?

Thanks.

Greg

MikeChambers

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 05:48:29 pm »

Mike,

Since the FAQ states that suites are not eligible (and that's what I've bought in the past) for the program, I want to make sure that I understand this based on your comment above. If I subscribe today to the single app CC version of Photoshop for $19.99, that can be converted to the new $9.99 offer after the 17th?

Yes. You will have to contact support once the new offer is available and they will switch you over.

After posting this, I realized this sounded odd and didn't really make sense. It turned out, our internal FAQ that I got the info from was wrong, and this won't work. If you are on the $19.99 tier of CC, you are only eligible if you also have a previous version of Photoshop since CS3.

Sorry about the confusion.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:07:56 am by MikeChambers »

mistybreeze

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 08:03:07 am »

So all the photographers who got sucked into Adobe's Creative Suite 3 Product Line are not permitted to use their Photoshop CS3 license (or greater) to sign up for this Photoshop Photography Program? Why on earth would Adobe exclude all these photographers from a CC promotion aimed at photographers? I don't get the logic or benefit of punishing your best customers.

Does Mike, or anybody at Adobe, have an explanation for this?

mistybreeze

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 08:14:21 am »

Let me see if my brain is working this lovely Saturday morning.

If an Adobe "suite" buyer since the CS3 release does not own a non-suite version of Photoshop, the only way to take advantage of this Photoshop Photography Program is to sign up today for the Single App CC version and "convert" to the special offer after the 17th, with the help of one of those kind customer service folk from India?

I can't believe what I just wrote, but am I correct?

MikeChambers

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 11:09:36 am »

Let me see if my brain is working this lovely Saturday morning.

If an Adobe "suite" buyer since the CS3 release does not own a non-suite version of Photoshop, the only way to take advantage of this Photoshop Photography Program is to sign up today for the Single App CC version and "convert" to the special offer after the 17th, with the help of one of those kind customer service folk from India?

I can't believe what I just wrote, but am I correct?

I just corrected my original post. What I posted was incorrect (our internal FAQ on this was wrong). I have posted the updated info. (Basically, you have to have had a previous perpetual version of Photoshop CS3 or greater).

Sorry about the confusion.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 11:43:05 am »

If you don't own a recent copy of CS then this new offer does not apply to you.

Or in other words, if you've already spent a lot of money on Adobe products then they'll let you get on the rental supply chain for less than if you haven't.

CS2 is 8 years old ! Come on, this offer is a great one. Photoshop and Lightroom are the best you can get in their respective categories. $10/month is not cheap but it is great value. Cheaper options exist. I've tried them, they are not as good. But they are usable if you don't like the new licensing system.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up