Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M6 or not M6  (Read 8943 times)

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
M6 or not M6
« on: August 13, 2005, 01:20:38 am »

fotogeezer, if you've always wanted the M6 and it inspires you to get out and take great pics, buy it! I've always wanted a Hassy system and I was able to pick one up recently for a song from a photog who went 100% digital. I love digital too, but I don't see why I can't also love film. I'm just about set up to do my own colour processing, and I'm scanning the 120 negs on my Epson Perfection 4870, which does a masterful job at digitizing film.

The best camera is the one you feel like using.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 06:41:37 am »

Hello again Digiteyesed

I will most definately look into the new epson scanner, will try and post some images as soon as i can. The m6 came with the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 Lens which i have heard is good, but yet remains to be seen. Thanks again for your help and  advise, will let you know how i get on. Cheers.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 04:22:52 pm »

hi digiteyesed

Used to own a Lubitel myself,quite some time ago. Did not appreciate Medium format quite enough then to hang on to it though.Looked at the new scanner you mentioned, need to start saving for it though.Blown my budget for a for a while now im afraid. Cheers

Paul.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 01:12:14 pm »

I am looking for advice on wheather to purchase a Leica m6, i have always wanted one and i am quite at home using manual cameras. The only problem is i have been converted to digital now for quite some time, i prefer the older classic style cameras but using film again and waiting for developing im not sure i can warm back up to. I will almost certainly need to digitize every roll i use as i am very happy doing my own processing. I have never had a Leica but there are so many good reviews and followers of this system that i am intruiged buy it.  So if anyone can give me any advise on the best way on using this sytem in this digital age or even if there is any point and benefits to it at all i would be very happy.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:41:27 am »

Thanks Pom

I have heard that myself, not sure if ill be able to wait that long though, Leica seems to move at a totaly different pace to the rest of the Camera Market. May take the plunge and see how i like it. Cheers.

David R. Gurtcheff

M6 or not M6
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:54:39 am »

Sean:
I moved July 29 and gave up my darkroom. I have a 16"x20" temperature controlled rotary paper processor. If interested please send me an email to my web site at www.modernpictorials.com
Dave

Digiteyesed

M6 or not M6
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 12:48:33 am »

the epson scanner sounds like the way i need to go so i can still do my own printing.

The the 4870 has been superceded by the recently released 4990. It apparently has a slightly better dynamic range and is approximately 1/3 faster (according to a friend who upgraded).

I've made some 16x20 prints from 35mm transparencies scanned on my 4870 and they look very nice. In fact, the Epson does such a good job that I gave away my older dedicated slide/film scanner to a relative (it was a Nikon CoolScan IV ED).

I hope you enjoy your new toy, and that you'll post some samples of your work with it soon.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 04:04:44 pm »

Hi Digiteyesed
Just looking at your website,some great work. What do you shoot mostly digital or medium,looking at some of your pics looks like you do a lot of square format. Were you shooting bronica SQ or have you been using hassy for a while.When you scan do you scan from transparencies or negs,find it hard to see how you can get such crystal clear prints from scanning. Different approach to Photography for me this is.

Regards.
Fotogeezer

SoBeachKid

M6 or not M6
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 06:11:02 pm »

I actually also bought a M7 a couple of months ago and am now using it together with my Canon 20D. So far, I have mostly shot B&W film with the M7, I develop the films myself, scan them to print a 'digital contact sheet' and then either do my own prints from the scan (using an HP 8450 printer) or have a lab do bartya prints of the best images.
I am using a rather inexpensive Canon 8400F scanner since I don't really scan film to print high quality images. I rather use it as a proofing tool.

And I do love the M7. I have it with me most of the time.

Franck

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 04:07:24 pm »

Hi Franck
Nice to here from you, the M7 i was also looking at but a bit to much to money for my budget.I am also using a canon Digital system as well, quite like the Canon lenses. Starting to get the hang of the M6, lots of different quirky things with the M6, smaller viewfinder,bit slower focusing(for me at present)etc,etc. Ran a roll of film through on the weekend and held my breath while they were being developed. Exspected a few out of focus shots as i was a bit unsure of the rangefinder focusing, but actually to my amazement every one was spot on. Much more accurate than using manual focus slr's i think. Like the size of the M cameras and lenses, makes a change from the amount of gear i usualy carry about. Cheers!

Peter Jon White

M6 or not M6
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 08:30:55 pm »

For candid photography, where the CLANG!!! of the typical DSLR shutter and mirror will wake the dead, a Leica is a breath of fresh air. While not as quiet as a Rollei 35 or a SWC, it's much more subtle than any SLR I've ever used. Perhaps a Canon Pellx would be similar, I don't know.

And you can carry a body and five lenses in about the same size bag as I need for my 20D with two Canon zooms; 16-36 and 24-70.

It's a far more civilized approach to photography.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 02:51:54 pm »

The M6 has made me really think again about using the camera like a camera should be used, taking more notice of shutter speeds and appertures. Picked up a tip on a web site where if you take a meter reading off the back of you hand its supposed to be quite accurate. Tried this with a spot meter and compared it to the M6 metering and both were nearly allways the same. Very impressive. Size wise it is as you say, amazing how little space it takes up in your bag, all my camera bags are actually to big now. Ouch more money. Dear old game.

Ben Rubinstein

M6 or not M6
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 04:51:52 pm »

There will be a digital M Leica in the next couple of years, might be worth waiting.

fotogeezer

M6 or not M6
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 04:22:24 pm »

Hi Ddigiteyesd

I have actually purchased today an m6 ttl, i had to move quicker than expected on it as a freind had it up for sale. Wanted a bit more time to think about it but needed to make up my mind quick so took the plunge. Totally different to what i am used to so will be interesting to see how well i do. Digital can make you a little lazy and forget the basic principles for getting good pictures with film. Hope the hassy works out good for you, the epson scanner sounds like the way i need to go so i can still do my own printing. Thanks.

Digiteyesed

M6 or not M6
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 01:34:35 am »

FG: I've been doing a fair bit of square shooting with the following film cameras:

- Lubitel 166 (Ruskie Lomo)
- Kiev 60 (another FSU item)
- Hassy
- Zero Image 6x9 (set at 6x6)

I generally shoot Agfa colour print film (the price is right) and scan on the Epson. My biggest headache is cat dander and I have to keep my hurricane blower and static cleaning brushes handy. Each image requires a bit of spotting which I prefer to do manually as I find that DigitalICE strips too much detail from a picture.

Digiteyesed

M6 or not M6
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 10:27:25 pm »

For candid photography, where the CLANG!!! of the typical DSLR shutter and mirror will wake the dead, a Leica is a breath of fresh air.

There's nothing surreptitious about using a Canon 20D, that's for sure. KA-WHUNK! KA-WHUNK! Yeh, everyone knows you're around. I use my Nikon Coolpix 8800 for candid stuff as it's completely silent and the articulating LCD display lets me shoot with the camera nearly out of sight.

Now if you want a real nightmare scenario for candid photography, I'll loan you my Kiev 60...
Pages: [1]   Go Up