Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loosing "three-dimensionality" in scanning process // to much grain  (Read 1296 times)

Grinschus

Hallo,

last week i spoke to some photographer, which is on buisness since over 20 years. Since 2008 he worked completly analog - a few years later i sarted working analog :)
We were talking about the scan-abaility and results comparing lab-prints and scan and came up the following thing:

Comparing lab-prints (most of the time with RA4-paper, that does not exist anymore) to high-res (printed )scans (up to drum-scans) there is a huge difference, especially in the point that the scan-files somehow  "look" less three-dimensional.Other photgraphers confirmed this observation with their own experience.
What is is about? I could not find any explenation.
Is it possible to rid of this effect and the workflow process via scanning negatives?

Since scanners (up to drum) are getting better and better they seperate the negatives and  relayer them not exactly - the pictures become to grainy. On the other side, when you try to get rid of these sharpness the picture gets unsharp.

Does anyone have an advise where to start research for a solution of this?

Best regards,

luke

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: loosing "three-dimensionality" in scanning process // to much grain
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:16:22 am »

This is partly a matter of taste, but scanned files do not necessarily need to look less "three dimensional" than analog prints. Also it is not correct that scanners are getting better. In fact the best ones have been discontinued and given that this is legacy technology, high-end new product offerings are few and far between.

I don't know what you mean by scanners separating and relayering negatives, but whatever you mean - if it has to do with how scanner sensors and software receive and process light-generated data, this is hardly related to seeing film grain in the scan. A well focused scanner with a sharp lens will show the grain that is inherent in the film, whether negatives or positives. There is a trade-off between reducing the appearance of grain and maintaining image sharpness. It depends on using the right software correctly to get the optimum balance, and much has been written about this - including by me. I recommend you research the literature on this website and elsewhere to get a better appreciation of the subject matter.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Grinschus

Re: loosing "three-dimensionality" in scanning process // to much grain
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 10:55:54 am »

thank you for the answer :)
It is just hard to find some kind of detail and actuell guide/tutorial/literatur for this particular problem.
Have any literature-tipps? I purchased your silver-fast 8 book yesterday ;)

With seperatin and relayering i meant the ccd-consoles for r,g and b.
By the way:What have been the best scanners for negatives in your opinion?
Pages: [1]   Go Up