Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Upper California Coastline  (Read 14988 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Upper California Coastline
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:31 am »

This IS the only forum I have run across where you've got a fair shot at critique that goes beyond the photographically technical. You might get some feedback on composition and the structure of the frame, you're pretty likely to get simple "this is how I react" feedback.

Most people here seem to assume that the technical details are all deliberate, thankfully, so they're not constantly telling you that your choices are wrong. You might get some feedback to the effect that your choices have such and such an effect.

It's nice!

+1

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2013, 10:01:11 am »

It's the best there is, Andrew, but, like all things human, it's sometimes flawed. On balance it's first-class stuff.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2013, 10:07:28 am »

It's the best there is, Andrew, but, like all things human, it's sometimes flawed. On balance it's first-class stuff.
FWIW, this has been my experience.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:46 am »

Agreed, even with my whining and shots at fair play and all that, I'm still here and have been for quite some time. You know, stick your foot in the water, then determine if it's "just fine." I think you'll find it a bit cool at times, a bit hot on other occasions but rarely tepid and unrewarding.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Isaac

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »

Isaac isn't the first poster to make claims of bullying here, and probably won't be the last.

I've never actually seen any actual bullying, though.

Do those others still add their voice?

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2013, 02:04:07 pm »

Heysoos, Isaac, your reply #50 must run as one of the wimpiest I've come across on this site.

Okay, I visit no other sites of the 'chat' type anymore (apart from a private, little one), so perhaps I'm just out of tune with the zeitgeist, but even at the various schools I attended, where some of the kids were often expert beyond their years at torture of the mind, bullying took on an obvious and visible form. Your accusation seems, to me, to be founded on cloud, or on a concept of bullying so esoteric as to pass me completely by.

There are no rules here about any obligation to reply with faux critique to every image that finds itself hung out to dry in the public gaze, a gaze which can be as rapturous as totally indifferent. The very idea of an obligation makes the whole experience even less appealing than it might otherwise be. I come here and look at pictures, not to pull them to bits nor to stroke ego - either that of the snapper or of myself as either snapper or writer; I come here to enjoy what I see and, often, read. I've mentioned before that I think critique pointless, but that's just my opinion; however, wouldn't it then be a bit rich for me suddenly to start to tell someone else how they should do their own stuff? And that's all you can expect here - what else did you imagine - a leather couch and a tape recorder as an alternative offer of help? What's New, Pussycat did that rather well and became my favourite comedy of all time. I love that sense of hysteria; it soothes me.

Someone mentioned critique by peers; so who are the peers? Are they bright enough to carry respect? Do you want the blind to lead the blind, the deaf teach the dumb to sing? (I'd be happy to have anyone teach me to sing, but that's actually irrelevant, which is why I hide it in brackets.)

Why can't we just look at the pictures and stop trying to tell the world how bloody clever we think we are, how much smarter and gifted than the poor sap we have under the glass?

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2013, 02:28:24 pm »

There are no rules here about any obligation to reply with faux critique to every image...

You seem to be answering Chris Calohan.

out of tune with the zeitgeist

Perhaps you find the phrase - boorish nagging - more appropriate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:34:10 pm by Isaac »

stamper

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 06:04:17 am »

Isaac some members find you a bit boorish with respect to criticising and not posting. Surely you have at least ONE decent image you could post and the members will be able to see how good a photographer you are. :) ???

amolitor

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 09:07:07 am »

(I'd be happy to have anyone teach me to sing, but that's actually irrelevant, which is why I hide it in brackets.)

Have you ever seen a movie called "Flawless"? I can totally visualize you in the de Niro role. And I mean that in a positive way -- that character has some really negative traits, but those are not the traits I am thinking of.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2013, 10:04:19 am »

Seems as if we're beating the proverbial dead horse to death. Isaac isn't going to post but will continue to offer unfounded profundities based on something or the other...so be it. Let's put this thread to bed. Personally, once I discovered the Block this Person feature...hey, made my life a lot easier.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:22 am »

Have you ever seen a movie called "Flawless"? I can totally visualize you in the de Niro role. And I mean that in a positive way -- that character has some really negative traits, but those are not the traits I am thinking of.

No, I haven't had the pleasure yet. But I always preferred the other Italian, the one in Serpico - got it: Al Pacino! I, of course, have no negative traits at all: a model of positive optimism, despite too many years of living many of the opposite experiences. Some say that might mean I'm an idiot, but hell, a small price to pay for a sunny disposition!

I did enjoy Angel Heart, though.

;-)

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »

Isaac some members find you a bit boorish with respect to criticising and not posting.

People just won't do what we want them to!

Lets see some of the stuff you shoot.

If I was going to post photos, I would have done so by now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:17:38 pm by Isaac »

stamper

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2013, 03:24:56 am »

People just won't do what we want them to!

If I was going to post photos, I would have done so by now.

Why not?

Isaac

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2013, 01:14:41 pm »

Asked and answered -- Because I have no interest in Russ Lewis's "pat on the back".

amolitor

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »

There's actually people here who are not Russ.

Some of us make a pretty serious effort to be useful, albeit somewhat sporadically.

For the record, anyone who wants to hear specifically from me is more than welcome to send a PM to point me at a specific picture. I'm always happy to gather my thoughts as best I can, but I don't always look at every single thing posted all that closely, and often it appears to me that wiser heads than mine have already made the important remarks.

Isaac

« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2013, 04:00:26 pm »

A kind offer.

One way, to make more of that effort to be useful, might be to concentrate on the pictures that wiser heads have ignored over the preceding weeks.

amolitor

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2013, 04:07:51 pm »

Sorry, my critique is what it is. It would certainly be a nice thing for me to do, but I simply don't work well that way. I'm not an organized "start at one end and work my way to the other" guy, I'm a "ok, who wants me to do what now?" guy.

But anyways. The point is this is not the Russ Lewis forum, he's just one of several contributors here. Several of us like and value him, but doing so is not a requirement.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »

A kind offer.

There are a number of really good photo review and critique forums, and several are cyber homes to many practicing professionals. Use Mr. Google and search for “landscape photography forum” (without quotes) or whatever genre you may have an interest in. Sift through some offerings until you find a place that has works and contributors you like.

Publishing works for review and/or critique is a good way to get useful feedback about a lot of stuff, and it really makes a positive difference if people at the forums you frequent do the same or similar kinds of work as you’re interested in.

stamper

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 04:27:58 am »

Isaac post an image for the rest of the forum to look at. If you agree then they can arrange for Russ not to comment on it and the rest of us can enjoy your efforts. ;) :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 10:06:23 am »

. . .they can arrange for Russ not to comment on it.

In your dreams, Stamper.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up