Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purisima Creek  (Read 673 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Purisima Creek
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »

This photograph is from Purisima Creek Redwoods, this time of Purisima Creek itself. This setting is near the western entrance of the park, where the woods flatten out after a long, steep descent through alternating scenes of redwood forests and coastal chaparral. While it is significantly more vigorous in the rainy season, Purisima Creek is nice in that it flows year-round — a trait most creeks in California's Santa Cruz Mountains lack. This location unfortunately does not quite feel like true wilderness; it is near the confluence of several large trails, and close enough to the entrance that civilization's metaphorical footprint can still be felt (if not literally seen or heard). However, I can't help but imagine this place in a wilder time. I like to think it was a favorite haunt of local mountain lions (maybe it still is – mountain lion sightings have been reported on this very trail). Perhaps they know this set of leaning trees as the sign that the ascent up the mountain is beginning (or ending), pause for a sip of water, maybe scratch their head on the horizontal trunk, before continuing the trek to their favorite hunting grounds.

Purisima Creek
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Isaac

Re: Purisima Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »

I've started to appreciate Purisima Creek Redwoods OSP much more over the last two years, perhaps it's just that I no longer always need to see a wide open vista.

I wonder what it would take to make a midstream photo when the creek's in flood? I guess a boat and ropes, or a bridge -- actually being in the water would mean being whacked by material on its way downstream.

Incidentally, the trails are mostly old logging roads.

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:33 pm »

Thanks for commenting, Isaac.  My appreciation for Purisima is growing too.  And I like your idea, it could be really cool to take the same photo but when the creek's in flood, to show the difference.  I fear you might have just spelled my demise.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:04:06 am »

Seems like a wonderful location. Good photo too:
Pages: [1]   Go Up