Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's composition, Jim, but not as we know it.  (Read 6009 times)

Michael Haspert

It's composition, Jim, but not as we know it.
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »

I've enjoyed the photos on seeingfresh.com for a while.
Who's already heard of it?
What do you all make of it?

stamper

Re: It's composition, Jim, but not as we know it.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:47:40 am »

Is this a plug for something you are connected with?

Michael Haspert

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »

No, it's not a plug. In hindsight, I probably should have included the following in my first post.

My only association with seeingfresh.com is that I have submitted photos to see if I understood what they were saying well enough to get the submissions accepted. (My name on that site is LurkingMan)

They have ideas about composition different from anything I've read elsewhere and I am interested in your collective take on it.
I find some of the shots quite striking but my aesthetic judgement may be a bit naive or simplistic compared to the membership of this forum.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:37:21 pm by Michael Haspert »

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:29:11 am »

I just had a look and I see things in the abstract nearly all the time. However I have never thought things through to their point of view nor am I likely to. I just frame up the camera on parts of things and shoot it, if it works visually, great, if it does not, fine. I rarely show my images of that nature because they do not seem to illicit any comment good or bad. (maybe maybe I am not fully experiencing the moment when I click the shutter, who knows) So I keep them for my own enjoyment.

There are some nice images there from my perspective. It is likely that I would have never seen that sight without being pointed to it, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:35:46 am by W.T. Jones »
Warren

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:13 am »

This link, to the site's author profile of the Tibetan Buddhist monk Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, gives some useful context. The site suggests that taking photographs can be a form of meditation. I wasn't quite convinced by the "assignments", but I suspect they are connected to some ideas in Tibetan Buddhism and I am sure the site's authors would tell you that they are just useful starting points.
Ken Cameron

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:35 pm »

Previously --

I found a book titled "Seeing Fresh: The Practice of Contemplative Photography" by Michael Wood to be one that taught me to think more about the artistic side and "seeing", than the technical side. There are enough books about the latter, but I find good books about the former are rare.

I found reading the book interesting. I'm sure it would be much more interesting used methodically as a course of instruction and practice -- that's what the book really provides.

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:45 am »

I don't see anything overly revolutionary there but I can understand why a number of people here would find it difficult to grasp or deal with.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:09:06 am »

What do you all make of it?
Nothing much special really
I very much like a minimalist style of composition and subject matter, but this site is a little pretentious and some examples on the galleries are rather underwhelming.

There are quite a lot of groups on Flickr that cover similar ground very well and a few have good moderators that chuck out anything that doesn't fit the brief, so keep the quality quite high.

wmchauncey

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »

I checked the site...some nice and some less so.  Price of the book seemed absurdly high.
The things you do for yourself die with
Pages: [1]   Go Up