Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw Therapee Issue  (Read 16476 times)

Fine_Art

Re: Raw Therapee Issue
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 11:50:15 am »

Which is what I've pointed to in the past as the reason I no longer use RT - I was a user waaaay back from when Gabor was solely responsible, and a huge advocate for years - and I've been shouted down for saying it: RT has become primarily a coders' playground, and far less, a photography tool.

Nothing wrong with that, but I continue to maintain that until the unnecessary (I use that word deliberately and advisedly) complexity is robustly addressed, it will continue in the direction in which it has been inexorably heading since going Open Source - more and more an offputting, overly complicated (for no obvious advantage) niche product with little to attract most photographers.

Rob mentions Photo Ninja up the page: quality of output apart (and like Rob, I'm a PN fan), it too has some very clever, very versatile coding, but it's hidden from the user, working as it does, behind the scenes of an apparently quite limited feature set and UI: this allows the photographer to focus on results, without having to deal with and work past the almost guaranteed (unless you coded it) paralysis of RT option overload.   

They really need to add some tutorials. It may be irrational, but most people hate reading software manuals. Several 3-5 page tutorials, or youtube tutorials, would go a long way to helping people understand what all the weird features are. The number of tools in the ciecam02 section for example. What is it? Why does it need all these things? What is the difference between the normal sliders and this section's versions?

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 04:12:28 am »

I'm not manual averse myself - I actually contributed to early versions of the RT manual, and I used to provide RT tutorials on my site - but it's beyond that now: the manual that would cover ever possible purpose, use-case and nuance of the complexities of RT these days (CIECAM02 being a perfect example of that) would be immense - to the point of complete unusability.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:15:18 am by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

mouse

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 11:19:11 pm »

It is a pity.  There are some things (e.g. noise reduction, tone mapping, sharpening) that RT does better than any other raw converter I have tried (absent a host of plug-ins).  But the absence of a clear road map explaining the when, why and how of the multitude of tools puts many people off even trying.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up