Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krabi, Thailand.  (Read 5678 times)

Sanggay

Krabi, Thailand.
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:56:42 am »

A few shots from my recent trip to Krabi, Thailand.

Monks.
I shot this in a hurry as they were about to leave. I wonder if the cut off feet is alright?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Krabi, Thailand.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:32:34 am »

I think these shots are very good. The cut off feet didn't bother me, but some of the others around here may have different view. My favorite perhaps is the bottom image where the landscape/foliage seems to pick up the same theme as found in the clouds.

nemo295

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »

I think the compositions are very good. But I have a problem with the flat lighting and the fact that all of them appear to be at least 1 EV underexposed.

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:01:00 am »

No problem with feet. I like the second image best…
Francois

Sanggay

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:52 am »

Thanks for feedback.

They look underexposed probably due to my processing.

These are taken at a beach.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:35 am »

My favorite is the bottom one, but the contrast was a little low for my taste. I took the liberty of applying a levels adjustments to deepen the blacks and intensify the whites then added a medium contrast curves level. I think it's an esthetic choice and I really like your version, but I think I am addressing the exposure/contrast concern with a picture rather than a thousand words ;)

Sanggay

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:02:43 am »

My favorite is the bottom one, but the contrast was a little low for my taste. I took the liberty of applying a levels adjustments to deepen the blacks and intensify the whites then added a medium contrast curves level. I think it's an esthetic choice and I really like your version, but I think I am addressing the exposure/contrast concern with a picture rather than a thousand words ;)

I just want to see how it looks like if processed in the reverse way.

The top one was taken in the hot afternoon during the islands tour. Lighting was very harsh. I couldn't choose a better time to shoot as I was a tourist. By converting to monochrome, I thought it might look better.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:04:22 am by Sanggay »

Riccardo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:22:33 am »

# DSC_3570:   in this case I prefer the version with less contrast. It seems more consistent with the light in the scene. Maybe the two heads are too dark.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:36 am »

The top one was taken in the hot afternoon during the islands tour. Lighting was very harsh. I couldn't choose a better time to shoot as I was a tourist. By converting to monochrome, I thought it might look better.
I agree, made the same choice for similar reasons! Keep experimenting!
# DSC_3570:   in this case I prefer the version with less contrast. It seems more consistent with the light in the scene. Maybe the two heads are too dark.
Had the same thought, Riccardo. There is something about the mood of the original that is quite appealing.

Sanggay

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:39:59 am »

Same boat, one in monochrome and one in color.

Riccardo

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:25 am »

Generally speaking, I don't like so much when an author submits two versions of the same subject (BW and COL). It is as if the author was not convinced of his own images.
In this case, the black and white version it seems too dramatized (my reaction was, "here is a sky like Ansel Adams").
I prefer the color version.

nemo295

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:17:30 pm »

This last color shot is the best of the bunch, imo.

Sanggay

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:02:51 am »

Generally speaking, I don't like so much when an author submits two versions of the same subject (BW and COL). It is as if the author was not convinced of his own images.
In this case, the black and white version it seems too dramatized (my reaction was, "here is a sky like Ansel Adams").
I prefer the color version.

I am very much a newbie in digital photography and I have learnt how to shoot in RAW maybe less than 2 years.
Editing photo is also pretty new to me and I have just learnt how to use LR since late last year.
As for the 2 photos I like both. I posted both to get more opinions from the members for improvement.

And this is the last photo.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 05:42:23 am »

Nothing wrong with being compared to Ansel Adams ;) I do like the mood of the color version (boat and clouds) a bit better, if I had to choose. Fortunately, I don't have to choose! Your last has a terrific shadow from the palm though I think the subject is somewhat less interesting, but nice colors to my eye. Keep posting! There a many great teachers on this site.

Riccardo

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »

Nothing wrong with being compared to Ansel Adams ;)

I agree, but not entirely. It's a matter of nuances and I'm not sure of being able to express my thoughts with my poor english.
When the first reaction to an image is not related to the image, but to something else, such as "wow, what a sharpness!" or "what beautiful saturated colors!" or even "what a wonderful Ansel Adams sky" then, in my opinion, there is a kind of failure: there is a technical aspect that has the upper hand on the image and creates a kind of barrier that prevents the observer from being absorbed by the image. It's like when the trick prevails over magic.
If I say, looking at a raw file in postproduction, "here I could obtain a nice sky in the style of Ansel Adams," I might fall into this trap, because I'm not working on my perception, but on a cliché.
Regarding the two images with the boat, I perceived in the color image more coherence: big clouds in a luminous and peaceful atmosphere, non dramatic. In the BW image my first impression was that of a dramatic sky pasted on a peaceful atmosphere.
Of course it's a matter of subtle balance: the same trick can be perceived as real magic or as a simple puzzle.
Too tortuous thoughts?  ;D

Sanggay

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:29 pm »

Nothing wrong with being compared to Ansel Adams ;) I do like the mood of the color version (boat and clouds) a bit better, if I had to choose. Fortunately, I don't have to choose! Your last has a terrific shadow from the palm though I think the subject is somewhat less interesting, but nice colors to my eye. Keep posting! There a many great teachers on this site.

You have helped me a lot here. Thanks.

I have brightened their faces.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up