Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Towards Bulwer  (Read 1080 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Towards Bulwer
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:38:33 pm »

I am not too confident of this one, probably because it seems a little sparse...but perhaps that is what draws me to it.

It would be interesting to see what you think of it.

Many thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Towards Bulwer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »

I like it... perhaps because of sparsity. Simple interplay of gently curved lines.

Maybe a bit more (tonal) definition in the sky? Or would it ruin the sparsity?

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:32:52 pm »

William this is a very fine image.
Despite the simplicity of the overall composition (compare with your last effort) there is detail and interest value in every part of this image.
I hazard a guess that without the overcast sky and cloud detail this composition would probably fail but as it is it works, and works well!

Perhaps my commentary is a bit biased by the fact that I have an emotional attachment to the locations that you shoot but, again personally, I feel that you have a very discerning eye for a good image.

I also hazard a guess that a large print of any of your offerings that I have seen on this forum would translate your intent so much more emphatically.
I do find that without more adjustment any file that I have that makes a noteworthy print looks slightly anaemic on a bog-standard monitor.

BTW I recall you mentioning a trip to KNP (I think) later this year (November if memory serves). I will be travelling through KNP in early November before heading off into Botswana and Namibia.

Tony Jay

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:42:39 pm »

I like it... perhaps because of sparcity. Simple interplay of gently curved lines.

Maybe a bit more (tonal) definition in the sky? Or would it ruin the sparcity?

I agree.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:04:22 am »

I like this photo a lot. It seems like an easy shot but the curves, the dramatic sky and the expanse of land all fall into place.

Well done!
Francois

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:46:35 am »

BTW I recall you mentioning a trip to KNP (I think) later this year (November if memory serves). I will be travelling through KNP in early November before heading off into Botswana and Namibia.

Tony Jay

Hi Tony

Thanks again for your feedback, I appreciate it, as always.

I am pleased that you decided to come "home" for your holiday. We will be at a Lodge called "Ululapa" from the 15th-18th of November so I don't know if that coincides with your visit? If you need anything done before you get here, give me a shout. If you are going to be in Natal and you need anything - give me a call.

I don't know if you are aware of the SANPARKS forums?  Here is a link to the KNP forum, http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewforum.php?style=2&f=67  it will whet your appetite but also give you an idea where the good spots are (there are two webcams for Kruger at the bottom of the page). There is also an app called "Africa:Live" which gives you up-to-the-minute news on sightings. I have not used it, but someone was telling me it works very well.

Also, thank-you for the comments from the others... :)

Regards
William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: [1]   Go Up