Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Blackmagic  (Read 23082 times)

BJL

Format factor of 2x compared to 35mm movie format
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 08:53:09 pm »

What is the crop factor of super 16 with full frame (35mm) lenses.
Why compare to the 36x24mm still camera format that is of little relevance to motion photography? A more interesting comparison is to 35mm movie format, frame width about 24 to 25mm: for one thing Super 35mm format cine-camera lenses are far more likely to be of interest on this movie camera than 35mm still camera lenses.

This camera's 16mm format is about half of Super 35mm format.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: More Blackmagic
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 01:10:26 am »

I'm considering the M.Zuiko 17mm F1.8 - should make for a compact package.  I am curious about barrel distortion on some of these m43 lens' - anybody experience this?

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 06:30:26 am »

I asked the question wether 50fps might a possibility, this is the reply:-

"Currently the Pocket Camera is not specified to support 1080p50 frame rates, and at this time we have made no announcement that this may be possible in the future. As such, I would be unable to comment whether this product will, or whether it might be able, to support this video format in the future, until any such formal announcement is made."

Ok, I was with not likely until the last bit " until any such formal announcement is made". :-)

Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: Format factor of 2x compared to 35mm movie format
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:47 pm »

Why compare to the 36x24mm still camera format that is of little relevance to motion photography? A more interesting comparison is to 35mm movie format, frame width about 24 to 25mm: for one thing Super 35mm format cine-camera lenses are far more likely to be of interest on this movie camera than 35mm still camera lenses.

This camera's 16mm format is about half of Super 35mm format.

'cause I have a lot of lenses for 35mm FF and I wondered what they would convert to on S16, to see if any would be useful.

Kevin.
Kevin.

fredjeang2

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 01:16:53 pm »

If it's about 3x, it tough because then looong tele are difficult to stabilize in motion and their use is limited by space. Already with m4/3 we are on the usefull limit with the FF lenses.
Wides alternatives are not legion and the good ones expensives.

C-mounts not expensives

http://kevincameras.com/gallery/v/movie_len/angenieux/10_18/

Arri

http://kevincameras.com/gallery/v/movie_len/angenieux/59_18/

etc...

etc...general movie lenses and then you can search (there are 6 pages, see bottom page, each brand with album with lenses)

http://kevincameras.com/gallery/v/movie_len/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:27:29 pm by fredjeang2 »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »

Those Angie primes look really sweet.  With the BMDPCC and a few of those you could have a high quality HD production package in a shoulder bag  ;)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »

Or in the front pocket of my hoodie. :)

RobertJ

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »

Crop factor for super16 in relation to 24x36 still photography is 2.88 I think.

Look on ebay for Super16 Zeiss SuperSpeeds and Optar Illumina lenses.  They are f/1.2 (T/1.3) lenses.  There is an 8mm Illumina and a 9.5mm Zeiss.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 07:03:50 am »

Thanks,

I can't think the crop is going to be to big a deal for me. I do use super wide a lot on my still images, that's to tell a story in one shot.
I know I'm a moving image novice but I do have the option of panning to show the environment and honestly I think it should make it more interesting than a super wide (nice option to have). I think a range from 12mm to 200mm will do me for starters without buying more lenses. If the IS works with mtf lenses that could be a reason for buying more. The 12mm ain't a great sharp lens, but I have plenty of decent f1.4 lenses that are very nice and tilt shifts too.
The 17-40mm I can see being the main lens, cropping the extremes on that lens can only be a good thing.
I think I would be more inclined to buy lenses I can use on my 1D X and not have two sets of lenses and work the video around the gear I have.
Kevin.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up