Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik plug-ins for Lightroom.  (Read 20213 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Nik plug-ins for Lightroom.
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »

I don't know why Nik didn't merge Vivezia with ColorFX? Maybe it was marketing to push more products, and tie you into the platform, then sell the other apps?
Vivezia is a nice addition to their apps, but it surely could have been merged into ColorFX and making it much more powerful by giving ColroFX Upoint capability. After all the originality is in using the Upoints to a specific controled region of the image. Otherwise it is less conveniet but can be done in Photoshop.  In fact they also needed to centralize the interface toools. Some had the same tools but setup in a different way. This was a problem.  I liked using Nik earlier on in my photography. Obviously for shoots involving the right subject matter.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 01:28:04 pm »

I don't know why Nik didn't merge Vivezia with ColorFX? Maybe it was marketing to push more products, and tie you into the platform, then sell the other apps?
Vivezia is a nice addition to their apps, but it surely could have been merged into ColorFX and making it much more powerful by giving ColroFX Upoint capability. After all the originality is in using the Upoints to a specific controled region of the image. Otherwise it is less conveniet but can be done in Photoshop.  In fact they also needed to centralize the interface toools. Some had the same tools but setup in a different way. This was a problem.  I liked using Nik earlier on in my photography. Obviously for shoots involving the right subject matter.

At the time of the purchase, it was reported that Google really wanted Snapseed very badly, and wasn't interested in the rest. Of course, that was on the rumor sites, so it could be BS.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »

That makes sense for Google, but for Nik not to merge the two apps from before was a breakup in how the apps are used separately....this creates instability in user expereince and with competition breaks up your user base.

I liked Nik, and did like SilverFx for sometime, and now hardly use them in my work. I have had OnOne also, and they recently updated me with the latest as the 6 or before was powerful in idea, but horrible in execution(multi effect layers).
I also have Topaz. For some work I find Topaz to be helpful, otherwise, they all are additional tools. If you can use them to aid processing time, that is great.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 12:13:33 am »

I now remember what I didn't like about Nik....

You can do color adjustments in Viveza or Color FX, but not side burn edges or frames like in SilverFX, and you can't bring the file into SilverFX without it getting a treatment, so you can't add any of the effects you get to the file with Silver FX without it going BW or other effect.
I fully understand that they can sell more plugins by having more, but this is such a hack job...They should grow up and be a real plugin and merge the 3 (Color, Viveza, SilverFX) into 1, and charge a bit more. Or at least have a Main plugin app, as Silver has the most features, make that the main(I guess, or rewrite from zero), and then have the other plugins snap into the main, so we CAN ad a simple frame or edge burn on the images...or add paper color, or lens filter...

Even when you own all three of these, you CAN"T use them to their full extent...This is a major fail...it keeps the overall ending experience more of a hack and doodad plug in rather than finish off as a tool.

Come on Nik, how many years have you guys been around...I had color FX back when it was Extensis...Get it together!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:17:57 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:48 am »

Similar functionality could be achieved in LR by just adding the HSL panel's options to the adjustment brush's options (as has been asked for).

Close, but not quite, even if the request had been granted - as I guess it still could be in the final version of LR5. The U-points select by color or tone within a variable space. You can get the same result using the adjustment brush with auto mask in Lightroom but it takes longer - or at least, it takes me longer. You can also invert the selection with U-points - something I was hoping for in Lightroom 5, but which I can find only in the new circular gradient tool.

Watching some of the tutorials I get the impression that the U point idea is fine until you need to get really refined edits, then it becomes so complicated with multiple points you might as well have just used the existing tools in PS anyway.

Multiple points can be added very quickly and points can be duplicated, overlapped and inverted. Once you get the hang of it I find this speeds up a lot of edits. For the ultimate in refinement Photoshop is still top of the heap, but I wouldn't be too dismissive about U-points merely on the basis of the tutorials.
Ken Cameron

donbga

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 09:56:37 pm »

Multiple points can be added very quickly and points can be duplicated, overlapped and inverted. Once you get the hang of it I find this speeds up a lot of edits. ... but I wouldn't be too dismissive about U-points merely on the basis of the tutorials.

U-points are very powerful and convenient to use.

I'm predicting that Google will purchase Adobe and Evernote! :)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 04:09:57 am »

I'm predicting that Google will purchase Adobe and Evernote! :)
Not sure about Evernote, Google already offer 'Keep' which is a very similar product.
Google buying Adobe ? I would have laughed at that two years ago, but today I could see that happening now. Nothing to do with buy imaging division, but when you see what Adobe are doing with their Marketing Cloud products you can see why Google might want those. It's easy to understand why Jeff Schewe keeps pointing out that imaging isn't very important to Adobe any more when you appreciate the scope of AMC.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up