Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sometimes, a Great Notion  (Read 1914 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Sometimes, a Great Notion
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:00:08 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »

It is nice to be without the red of the planter at the bottom.  Otherwise, I like your color version better.  Importantly for me, the bright edges of leaves seem both more subtle and brighter in color.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »

I toned the red down about as far as I felt I could go and not have it look artifical. It's so much fun to discover after the fact the things you think you would have thought of when shooting, but it is so rarely the case. I will likely revisit this plant with some macro work as I find the subtle colors quite facinating. Thanks for your comments. They are always well taken, even when they sting a touch.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »

It is nice to be without the red of the planter at the bottom.  Otherwise, I like your color version better.  Importantly for me, the bright edges of leaves seem both more subtle and brighter in color.
Ya just can't please everybody ;) I liked the subtle tones of the color version too, but this B/W version really appeals to me.

francois

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:49:46 am »

I also have a preference for the color version but this photo is almost as good. The loss of the planter at the bottom is a good thing.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:55:36 am »

The series is steadily improving, Chris. There's a thread elsewhere about the first shot being the best, but these images support my feeling that we tend to work towards better compositions.
One suggestion: it's a bit symmetrical for a plant. I would try putting the upper rosette off-center.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:32:54 am »

The series is steadily improving, Chris. There's a thread elsewhere about the first shot being the best, but these images support my feeling that we tend to work towards better compositions.
One suggestion: it's a bit symmetrical for a plant. I would try putting the upper rosette off-center.

I just can't find a composition that workd with the larger one off center. I'm going to wait until they get a little bigger and reshoot. I agree as to eolving an image. I ilked the first one but I love the last one more.

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:05:54 pm »

This one made me stop in my virtual tracks. The color biddies a few posts down, not so much.

Something about the contrast and symetry, not sure exactly what.
Pages: [1]   Go Up