Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Candid street shooting  (Read 6363 times)

cjogo

Candid street shooting
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:19 pm »

Well at least my candid style  ::::  Tripod mounted -- normal lens -- exposure set --cable release   ...waiting to fill the frame. ;)   This lady was waving her cane at me -- yelling some obscenity..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:19:56 pm by cjogo »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Candid street shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:32:39 pm »

What happened to the frame with her waving and yelling?  Was it any straighter than this one?

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »

I was trying to respect her wishes --NO PHOTO -- but couldn't resist ~~ after she relaxed her cane  :)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »

Now there's the problem with this sort of photography: I find the pictures really interesting but also, at the same time, find myself unhappy looking when I know they are stolen. Especially from an old person of limited means who has expressed lack of consent....

What's the difference between doing that and bullying?

I hate writing this because I like the photographer's work.

Had the person been unaware, it would still feel bad to me, but not too bad... Curate's egg? 21st century morality?

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 04:19:29 pm »

Well, guess I am not really in their face  --- actually quite a distance.  But, as I have said, not really a paparazzi shooter  .. more a  war correspondent fine art approach to my photography. 

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:49:16 pm »

What's the difference between doing that and bullying?Rob C

There is no difference at all Rob,

And not just in Cjogo's image but in others also.

When the person is aware of the photographer's presence and indicates that they do not wish to be photographed I think that there is a "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" dimension which must be respected.

Cheers,

W

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:03:25 pm »

I agree that if a person is aware of your presence and asks not to be photographed you need to respect that wish. But the key is not to make your subjects unaware of your presence (sneak) but to be non-threatening so that they don't really care whether or not you take their pictures. It's a big difference.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:11:41 pm »

Maybe it comes from being a wedding/corp photographer for 30 years.  No one really loves their photo taken at a cocktail gathering BUT its my job to "engage" a  couple or foursome for the client.  Some may call my  profession  a bit of bullying :(  guess I have brought my methods into the field with me ...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:21:10 pm by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:13:42 pm »

I agree that if a person is aware of your presence and asks not to be photographed you need to respect that wish. But the key is not to make your subjects unaware of your presence (sneak) but to be non-threatening so that they don't really care whether or not you take their pictures. It's a big difference.

Unfortunately ::  in these days I used a large gitzo/spot meter / a vest full of gear/ no zooms  and Rollei or Hassy .....so not too inconspicuous  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:18:58 pm by cjogo »

WalterEG

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 07:17:53 pm »

It's a big difference.

Russ,

I'd venture to suggest that it is a marginal difference at best — largely influenced by how one feels about 'street' photography.  You and I both are aware that we will never agree on that topic and so it is best just left as a given.

I will make one observation about it to say:  I do a lot of work with my camera(s) set up in the street — it comes with the territory of working in the built environment for architects and developers.  These days that happens mostly with a DSLR and people passing by do sometimes exercise caution or eye-ball me with mild trepidation.  When I do exactly the same thing with a 4x5 camera they express interest, sometimes engage quizzingly or respectfully pass by giving a wide berth.

All down to perceptions I guess.

Regards,

Walter

cjogo

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »

These days that happens mostly with a DSLR and people passing by do sometimes exercise caution or eye-ball me with mild trepidation.  When I do exactly the same thing with a 4x5 camera they express interest, sometimes engage quizzingly or respectfully pass by giving a wide berth.

Many people are much more inquisitive when you command a larger camera /// this boy stopped dead in his tracks >{ the dog wished to bite me  :o} ...but this  gun-toting youth was just as interested in this strange foreigner as I was with the scene I captured.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:03:11 pm by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:04:45 pm »

Only been shot at once :o ... and attempted arrest > twice.  :-[

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »

Many people are much more inquisitive when you command a larger camera /// this boy stopped dead in his tracks >{ the dog wished to bite me  :o} ...but this  gun-toting youth was just as interested in this strange foreigner as I was with the scene I captured.

Now that is a good image - bravo!!!

Dave

cjogo

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:17 pm »

Thanks  >>>>  Maybe I will load it up in colour ....really saturated clothes /gun combo  ;)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:03 am »

Maybe it comes from being a wedding/corp photographer for 30 years.  No one really loves their photo taken at a cocktail gathering BUT its my job to "engage" a  couple or foursome for the client.  Some may call my  profession  a bit of bullying :(  guess I have brought my methods into the field with me ...

And this is why a lot of people hate wedding photographers.  Engaging people and chatting to them, and taking their picture by consent is very different from going ahead anyway even when they are reluctant.  I have never needed to bully anyone and certainly would not photograph anyone who did not want to be in a picture.

Jim

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 04:28:37 am »

Obviously not -- "her wishes" are just a joke to you.

He hasn't actually said what she was yelling about, of course. Maybe she was trying to tell him that his tripod wasn't straight.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:47 am »

She was probably telling him that there had been an earthquake and she was departing to a safe haven. That is WHY the building was slanted. ;) :)

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 10:29:39 am »

She was probably telling him that there had been an earthquake and she was departing to a safe haven. That is WHY the building was slanted. ;) :)

If it was in the south of Spain, she would be right: they had an earthquake yesterday. As an irrelevant footnote - well, sort of - I made three exposures of a lovely new boat in the marina yesterday afternoon (cellpix) and on looking at them when I got home, every single one had something cut off - it was impossible to tell in the sunlight. I told myself in consolation that the 2/35mm shuld be here next week and I could try then, but the damned boat was gone today. Something less to worry about, I suppose.

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:10:24 pm »

He hasn't actually said what she was yelling about, of course. Maybe she was trying to tell him that his tripod wasn't straight.

Jeremy

Surely my problem ;D .. I have a level on my tripod & was using a waist level finder... SO, the tripod was level on its ground and looking down < from about 24 inches >  you tend to sometimes have a little sway, with a ball-head  :o>

cjogo

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:41 pm »

And this is why a lot of people hate wedding photographers.  Engaging people and chatting to them, and taking their picture by consent is very different from going ahead anyway even when they are reluctant.  I have never needed to bully anyone and certainly would not photograph anyone who did not want to be in a picture.

Jim

NOW this took a little "bullying" ..there was a bit of physical turning shoulders but, it was finished in 12 minutes ;) I did this kind of work > for many years.  We were not well liked all the time ,,but we produced a great image  ;D    Especially upset with a gathering group > where the spouses could not sit/stand together ( because every group shot is assembled by height , of course .)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:03:24 pm by cjogo »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up