Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 575125 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #2460 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:11 am »

Walking into a wall on a dreary day
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2461 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:37 am »

Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2462 on: March 10, 2017, 03:45:52 pm »

2 missed opportunities
When i arrived at the scene it apparently had just grabbed something very dusty which gave wandering dustclouds thru which the morningsun projected its rays on the excavator, giving the entire scene a truly apocalyptic quality. Obviously, by the time i parked the car nothing of the sort happened. They prepared for taking a break. i took a couple of shots. Was about to leave because they parked the grabber and noticed it hanging at the exact position that it looked like it was grabbing a co-worker. My camera was in skimpingmode...
Regards,
~ O ~

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2463 on: March 10, 2017, 07:12:56 pm »

This one appeals a lot, as do the shopping carts and tires on the dock. Here where I live, there are fewer tires, and most are being put to use.  :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2464 on: March 10, 2017, 07:38:37 pm »

That's a good illustration of the Fisherman's Tire Knot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2465 on: March 11, 2017, 04:15:29 am »

Back to idle dreams of yet more dreams:

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #2466 on: March 11, 2017, 04:25:21 am »

As a passing wonder: I realised on downloading my last set of snaps to the computer that the colours seemed strange. Of course, my instant reaction was to curse Microsoft, but deep in my heart I suspected that in this case, they were innocent of blame. So, I took the camera out of the hiding place and opened it up to explore possible cause. I couldn't believe it: the thing had set itself to flourescent light! As I almost never access the hidden bits, and as it was set to daylight years ago, I have to wonder what the hell's going on. Are the machines already taking over? Do they read the gossip on LuLa and realise that, fully ready for it or not, it's become a matter of now or never for them?

:-(

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2467 on: March 11, 2017, 06:03:26 am »

This one appeals a lot, as do the shopping carts and tires on the dock. Here where I live, there are fewer tires, and most are being put to use.  :)

Ha, nice one.

On the other hand: if this is the intended use for the tires, then how many visiting vessels do they expect in our canals???  :-\
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2468 on: March 11, 2017, 06:05:55 am »

As a passing wonder: I realised on downloading my last set of snaps to the computer that the colours seemed strange. Of course, my instant reaction was to curse Microsoft, but deep in my heart I suspected that in this case, they were innocent of blame. So, I took the camera out of the hiding place and opened it up to explore possible cause. I couldn't believe it: the thing had set itself to flourescent light! As I almost never access the hidden bits, and as it was set to daylight years ago, I have to wonder what the hell's going on. Are the machines already taking over? Do they read the gossip on LuLa and realise that, fully ready for it or not, it's become a matter of now or never for them?

:-(

Rob

Yeah, that would be detrimental to your images. However, if 2012 was involved as well, it seemed to work there just fine?
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2469 on: March 11, 2017, 06:09:00 am »

Back to idle dreams of yet more dreams:

Rob

YES! That's a beauty. I also sense a fake hassy crop in there somewhere. Is that thread still alive?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:20:17 am by opgr »
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2470 on: March 11, 2017, 08:32:23 am »

YES! That's a beauty. I also sense a fake hassy crop in there somewhere. Is that thread still alive?

Thanks - enjoyed playing around with it. It's one of the 'flourescent' shots, BTW.

I'd rather introduce 'errors' all by myself than have the camera decide to do it for me, though.

Hasselfakes is as alive as anyone wants to make it: unless locked for some reason, it's waiting for folks to contribute -

That's one beauty of posting pictures online as compared with printing them: you can do a lot of stuff that looks good small, but that doesn't travel well up the sizes trail. I did make a print, square, on an A3+ sheet, cropped from a small part of a tranny, and with lots of added false grain it worked nicely. But I'd think that there's probably a limited range of subjects where that would work well.

Rob

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2471 on: March 11, 2017, 02:29:52 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2472 on: March 11, 2017, 02:54:46 pm »

... the thing had set itself to flourescent light!...

Don't tell me, Rob, you are shooting jpegs? ;)

Rob C

« Reply #2473 on: March 11, 2017, 04:45:01 pm »

Don't tell me, Rob, you are shooting jpegs? ;)

Only when I used to fight with the cellphone - why do you ask?

Everthing on the cameras is always RAW. (NEFs)

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2474 on: March 11, 2017, 06:16:58 pm »

Only when I used to fight with the cellphone - why do you ask?

Everthing on the cameras is always RAW. (NEFs)

Rob

In which case the white balance set on the camera doesn't matter much.

Rob C

« Reply #2475 on: March 12, 2017, 05:43:50 am »

In which case the white balance set on the camera doesn't matter much.

That's the theory, as I've always read it to be online! The reality, at least on this happy old D200, is something else: the entire lot of images from the recent shoot, in differing lights, has looked strangely pinkish to me. I should have checked out the balance in Nikon's Capture NX2, through which I have to convert the NEFs into TIFFs, because there's a selection of stock colour balances that can be clicked, but I didn't bother doing that for some reason - perhaps because I almost never do have to use that function, so it wouldn't be first thing on my mind.

As I write this, I have just had a look into the menu system of the camera, and the Flourescent setting is positioned directly above the Direct Sunlight setting in the menu.

Now, I always have that set to Direct Sunlight largely because in most cases, that's the area I'm likely to be found with the camera. However, I have a mixture of old lenses and a new 50mm G Nikkor that self-adjusts with the camera when it's being fitted to it, whereas the old lenses have to be keyed in via a menu in order to function with the metering. As I seldom change optics since buying that 50mm (it acts as 75mm on the cropped body) which seems to fit much of my shooting desires these days, my friendship with the menu system is less than carnal, as you can imagine, and so I do admit to having to run through a variety of the damned things to find the one that allows the old lenses to be mated properly. It's perfectly possible (for me!) to have inadvertently bumped the setting of the light balance in my frustration as I run through from menu to menu trying to find the one I need for something. I sure hope it's been my fault and nothing to do with the thing that lives inside the camera!

Nonetheless, in theory, why did that menu setting accident affect the RAW NEFs if only jpegs are meant to be affected by the setting in-camera? That camera has no memory of being used in jpeg mode.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2476 on: March 12, 2017, 06:02:49 am »

... the balance in Nikon's Capture NX2, through which I have to convert the NEFs into TIFFs, because there's a selection of stock colour balances that can be clicked, ...

Nonetheless, in theory, why did that menu setting accident affect the RAW NEFs if only jpegs are meant to be affected by the setting in-camera? That camera has no memory of being used in jpeg mode.

Capture will likely default to the camera whitebalance as recorded in the NEF, so the RAW is not affected, but the processing in Capture defaults to the accidental setting.
Regards,
~ O ~

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #2477 on: March 12, 2017, 06:19:53 am »

Still some experiments with wide-angle close-ups around RR 1:2 and Hepatica nobilis.

Rob C

« Reply #2478 on: March 12, 2017, 06:38:24 am »

Capture will likely default to the camera whitebalance as recorded in the NEF, so the RAW is not affected, but the processing in Capture defaults to the accidental setting.

Thank you!

Now that explains the problem. And to think that folks imagined analogue photography to be difficult and beset with hidden problems!

Merci!

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2479 on: March 12, 2017, 08:51:15 am »

Rob,

I think you need a "Don't mess with my settings" button on your camera. I would dearly like one on mine.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 137   Go Up