Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 574629 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1660 on: June 01, 2016, 12:01:19 pm »

Ah, I first read as a single phrase "photography restrooms", which throws open all sorts of questions if you suppress the euphemism. Rooms for photographers to rest? Or where subjects might go to recover from being photographed?  :)

Back in the 80's, two of my photographic friends from my home town went to New York for the first time. Went then to a stadium to watch a game, and when the nature called, started looking for... what in my country and the rest of Europe is known as WC (water closet) or toilet. All they could find were...restrooms. Given that they were at a stadium, they thought those must be the rooms for athletes to rest after the game  :)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1661 on: June 01, 2016, 01:04:43 pm »

Back in the 80's, two of my photographic friends from my home town went to New York for the first time. Went then to a stadium to watch a game, and when the nature called, started looking for... what in my country and the rest of Europe is known as WC (water closet) or toilet. All they could find were...restrooms. Given that they were at a stadium, they thought those must be the rooms for athletes to rest after the game  :)

All My life going to sports in NYC, restrooms is not the verbiage, restrooms sounds so inviting.So pleasant. LOL...Men's and Women's or Ladies room.

Peter

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1662 on: June 01, 2016, 01:11:12 pm »

All My life going to sports in NYC, restrooms is not the verbiage, restrooms sounds so inviting.So pleasant. LOL...Men's and Women's or Ladies room.

From the Yankee Stadium Reference Guide:

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1663 on: June 01, 2016, 01:14:48 pm »

From the Yankee Stadium Reference Guide:

Today in the new stadium,yes...But you need to be a millionaire to get there. I should have clarified. I don't go anymore, so all of my life was an accurate statement from my point of view.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1664 on: June 01, 2016, 05:10:50 pm »

From this morning's trip to the big city.

Rob

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #1665 on: June 03, 2016, 02:36:23 pm »

flag

Rob C

« Reply #1666 on: June 03, 2016, 04:54:29 pm »

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1667 on: June 04, 2016, 10:08:41 am »

Hi Keith, I responded to your other post before opening this thread: great minds etc. etc.

I think I'm going to the reopening of an art gallery here tonight; might make a snap or two. I know a couple of the artists on show - well, whose works are on show - but I hope that as it's an event, they too will be on show; never know. I'll try to find an acorn to keep in my pocket, just in case.

Rob
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:13:04 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1668 on: June 04, 2016, 05:06:06 pm »

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1669 on: June 04, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »

Closing time

Rob C

« Reply #1670 on: June 05, 2016, 04:41:14 am »

Closing time

Hi Graham,

The face on your rapid young lady is of the same general style as of the French artist who was my main reason for going to the show last night.

I chatted with 'mine' for a few minutes and she seemed rather interested in my INTERrelate interview/snaps concept and we shall see if she follows up. But, I pulled her in front of a couple of her paintings in order to make a shot, and she struck me as extremely shy about it; how odd! That instantly made me think nope, she's not gonna take this forward - it will feel painful for her. Hope I'm mistaken, but either way... actually, I will probably do nothing with the shot I made: the lighting was fine for her pictures, but too many crossed sources for three-dimensionals such as her face.

It's funny what you see at shows: there was this old guy of about my age with a young woman in her - probably, I'm not much good at ages - early thirties in a tight T-shirt kind of thing; bra-less and with amazing accoutrements just below the surface of said garment. Face as tough as nails, but I couldn't help smiling at her. He looked German and she from either South America or the Philippines. Another version of the expensive pair of slippers. Oh - she had a silly little dog on a leash.

Fortunately, my favourite Cuban tenor sax player was in attendance too, so we had a pleasant chat about the changing face of that land, and where he thinks the new political developments will take it. I mentioned that I hoped his countrymen had more prescience about the future than some of the folks in Spain, where property got sold off to foreigners at what they imagined to be ripp-off prices, only to discover very soon that they then became unable to buy back into the market that streaked way ahead of them. He pointed out that a great present problem there is establishing ownership: much property has been left untouched by legit owners for more than fifty years, and these people, many of whom went to live elsewhere, are now starting to trickle back and claim their own...

Rob

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1671 on: June 05, 2016, 04:25:22 pm »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1672 on: June 06, 2016, 07:31:54 am »

The face on your rapid young lady is of the same general style as of the French artist who was my main reason for going to the show last night.

I showed the photo to an ex with whom I still have a complicated relationship: she thinks it might be her daughter!  ;D

Yes, I have the impression that good painters are often shy about being photographed... lesser ones, less so. I think I read that of Soames, Saul Leiter's partner. Maybe it's a levelling effect, that if you're shy then your work has to be good enough to sell itself, whereas those with a grand vision of their importance get themselves shows based on their chutzpah.

Damien, the guy doing the body painting of the pianist, is a bit in the second category: he seems friendly to me, and he invited me to participate in a project where he was painting women, who would then be photographed. Initially the idea appealed, then coordination of time and place became difficult, then the more I looked at what was being produced with other photographers, the less motivated I was to be involved. Basically, his painting bores my tits off. Just in case, I did some cross-checking in case my view was biased by the sight of him with his brush caressing la belle Cynthia, and independent witnesses shared my lack of appreciation...

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1673 on: June 06, 2016, 07:39:13 am »

This is the sister of the other photo...

Rob C

« Reply #1674 on: June 06, 2016, 09:34:19 am »

I showed the photo to an ex with whom I still have a complicated relationship: she thinks it might be her daughter!  ;D

Yes, I have the impression that good painters are often shy about being photographed... lesser ones, less so. I think I read that of Soames, Saul Leiter's partner. Maybe it's a levelling effect, that if you're shy then your work has to be good enough to sell itself, whereas those with a grand vision of their importance get themselves shows based on their chutzpah.

Damien, the guy doing the body painting of the pianist, is a bit in the second category: he seems friendly to me, and he invited me to participate in a project where he was painting women, who would then be photographed. Initially the idea appealed, then coordination of time and place became difficult, then the more I looked at what was being produced with other photographers, the less motivated I was to be involved. Basically, his painting bores my tits off. Just in case, I did some cross-checking in case my view was biased by the sight of him with his brush caressing la belle Cynthia, and independent witnesses shared my lack of appreciation...

There are those here who would say that thought was nothing but envy, but you're right: why assist some other dude get his jollies when all you will get from the help offered are indifferent photographs as result of the quality of the venture? (That's either Occam's friggin' razor or the Black Box, I confuse the two.) Oh - was there an offer to share in the painting part of the exercise?

Hans Feurer wasted severel rear pages of his eponymous book on just that subject, and it's not even with Veruschka! Demi Moore also comes to mind.

Regarding Soames: it appears that Saul was greatly pissed off at the relative lack of recognition that she got for her work; however, I think the market on matchstick figures had already been cornered in England... Insofar as he was concerned about himself - it would appear that fame didn't interest him much, or so he says often enough. I wonder if that's simple truth or rationalization of the hand he knew he had been dealt? Yet he got pretty prestigious work: many years of shooting for Harper's Bazaar and also Nova, amongst others. But as the world knows, fashion editorial isn't usually profitable unless you are a star with a zillion-dollar contract, when fee sanity returns because the magazine needs you more than vice versa.

;-)

Rob
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:05:38 pm by Rob C »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1675 on: June 06, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »

Oh - was there an offer to share in the painting part of the exercise?

Nope, and he's since started photo-shopping the other photos himself. So I'm definitely not playing.

There may be a possibility of doing something without him in the way, to be discussed soon... :)

Rob C

« Reply #1676 on: June 06, 2016, 03:24:26 pm »

Nope, and he's since started photo-shopping the other photos himself. So I'm definitely not playing.

There may be a possibility of doing something without him in the way, to be discussed soon... :)

That sounds surprisingly like something my wife told me some years ago: one of my 'friends' during school days tried a similar line with her after I'd left school and she and this mother were still there...

I won.

Rob

graeme

« Reply #1677 on: June 06, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »

St Mary's church, Fountains Abbey.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Night Dreams
« Reply #1678 on: June 06, 2016, 10:55:20 pm »

Night Dreams...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1679 on: June 07, 2016, 04:32:23 am »

Peter, just as I thought I'd got over it, put it firmly to sleep, you ignite again my lust for lost/betrayed Hasellblad 500 cameras!

When that lottery comes home, stops being just a couple of coffees, I shall get my hands on an unused collector's set, find a top scanner, and never look back again.

Next, I shall probaby have to buy a film company. And then a chemical company.

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 137   Go Up