Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1209351 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2240 on: August 14, 2016, 09:31:38 am »

BTW, if you have not checked out the link BC posted, I highly recommend you do.  A brunch of really great work to look at. 

Very nice campaign James! 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2241 on: August 14, 2016, 05:12:51 pm »

BTW, if you have not checked out the link BC posted, I highly recommend you do.  A brunch of really great work to look at. 

Yes indeed.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2242 on: August 14, 2016, 05:14:15 pm »

More recent work for great clients. A warm and inviting motorhome interior. First class all the way. As a photographer the high gloss finish on the woodwork created a very interesting challange.  3/4's of a million bucks on wheels.
Craig Lamson Photo

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2243 on: August 15, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »

Hi,

I think BC has talked a lot about that assignment, nice that he can share some images! A job well done!

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

bpepz

« Reply #2244 on: August 16, 2016, 12:28:35 am »

Really loving the p65+ on my H4X. At first I had a hard time with it, but now I love it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2245 on: August 16, 2016, 11:42:11 am »

Critique from respected and qualified individuals is great.
However unqualified stupid comments are not.
For whatever reason kikashi can just not help showing off his in bred horse's ass stupid opinion.

Personal abuse demeans the abuser, not the abused. Playground-level abuse, even more so. Whoever you might be.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2246 on: August 16, 2016, 11:45:08 am »

Jeremy may not have liked the shot of the couple in the car but, rather than being simply rude, he could have either said nothing or said something more along the lines of “Thanks to BC for posting the shots. I must admit that my preference is for a more realistic look, as shown in some of James’ other work…” I feel a good test of respectfulness is to think to oneself before posting, ‘would I comment using exactly these words if face to face?’

Criticism pithily expressed is preferable, in my view, to pussy-footing around. And the answer to your question is "yes".

I’m sure that BC is perfectly happy for others to express their opinions of his work, but not when done in such a rude manner.

I can see nothing to support such an assumption.

Jeremy

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2247 on: August 16, 2016, 12:23:08 pm »

Personally I find it easier to be harsh face to face as the recipient can see my good intentions and argue the case back and forth (and perhaps kick me in the nuts) while on-line good intentions can be harder to see perhaps.

Mike

LDJ

« Reply #2248 on: August 16, 2016, 07:53:56 pm »

Spot on Keith. I would suggest that professionals sharing their work on this thread are certainly not asking for critiques: the very fact that they have chosen to share a particular image indicates that they are happy with the shot; further to this, unless users have seen the client’s brief or received comments from any art director involved, then there is no way that they can offer an appropriate critique, which is the point Joe was making. My view regarding commenting on images shared in this thread is that, if you don’t have anything positive to add, don’t comment at all.

Given the above, if, for whatever reason, someone did wish to criticise work shared on this thread, I would certainly not recommend pithiness over considerateness.

If I showed some of my professional work to someone who I did not know well face-to-face and they offered pithily expressed/harsh criticism when I had not requested a critique, then I can assure you that the interaction would not last very long…

Anyway, I’ve said my piece and look forward to seeing some more excellent work in this thread.

Liam

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2249 on: August 17, 2016, 06:37:54 am »

Do folk post images to this thread for critique?

No: adulation, it seems.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2250 on: August 17, 2016, 06:42:34 am »

Regardless if the photographer does not likes everything about the final look, it is still up to him to deliver what the client needs.  This is called being professional. 

Regardless if the style of any professionally produced image does not quite line up to what you think should have been done, remember that may have been a requirement of the art direction.  It could very well be that any professional that may have worked on that campaign may have needed to reproduce the same look.

That's obviously right; and my comment was directed purely at the image, not at any of the personnel involved. I am fully aware that as a middle-aged man, I'm a long way away from the target audience of photographs such as that one, which couldn't possibly be used to advertise anything in which I'd be interested.

Jeremy

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2251 on: August 17, 2016, 02:33:54 pm »

I just launched my new and shiny website!:)

http://michaelezra.com

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:37:26 pm by MichaelEzra »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2252 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:08 pm »

Congratulations on the "new and shiny."
Beautiful, elegant, truly classy work as always.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2253 on: August 17, 2016, 04:56:14 pm »

Eric, thank you very much for your kind words!

bcooter

« Reply #2254 on: August 19, 2016, 06:52:48 am »

8x10 printed on G stock.  I bought cases of it and keep it in a storage facility with low temp and low humidity, that is dark.

Anyway, used a deardorff with an old Nikkor lens.

BC

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2255 on: August 19, 2016, 08:34:53 am »

Look at you... with the big wooden camera.  Heh.

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2256 on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:46 am »

bcooter do you mind me asking what G stock is?

bcooter

« Reply #2257 on: August 19, 2016, 03:18:41 pm »

bcooter do you mind me asking what G stock is?

It was a Kodak paper stock I fell in love with for portraits.  It has a beautiful texture and if you developed it with care and lot of rinse it was beautiful.

Kodak killed it off before digital took hold so I searched and found a 3 or 4 cases, maybe more.  I have a friend that is an analog freak, one of these guys whose loft looks like the mad scientist with humdifiers, or dehumidifiers everywhere, backup power and  filters, etc. etc. and he keeps it for me.  One box (not case) got kind of screwy where some of the edges are damaged but the rest is intact and I don't do much with it but keep a lot of film and paper. 

It's hard to throw away paper or film, even if I don't use it.

I have a ton of super 16mm fuji motion picture stock which is not made anymore as kodak owns the mp world, but super 16 fuji looks better than 35mm kodak (imo), it's just hard to load as it's physically thicker than kodak film.

Yea CB, me and my wooden camera.  I love the deardorff, the bellows will stretch across the room and it weighs nothing.  Downside is only the front has rise and fall, so perspective change you have to adapt to, which I'm use to so it's no problem.   

Love it, though not for commerce even in the film days.    Using 8x10 for people became a hard sell, due to film costs.  I'd have the assistants load about 100 holders, and you'd load them and client's would just go crazy about the costs, so we moved to 4x5, then . . .well we all know that everything is smaller where 645 is considered large format.

I laugh when people who look at my 1dxI(s) and the new II and say what a big camera. 

No 8x10 was big, but nothing was more fun that shooting people 8x10.  It's interesting that our starting assistants are carrying around film rangefinders to get the film experience, but wouldn't know a view camera if it landed on them.    They don't know what they're missing.

This was one of the last gigs for commerce shot 8x10 and all the movement was in camera, not post production. The only post production in photoshop was coloration as we did this in a monotone look and also colour.    Even Nikon picked it up for their own promo use and paid serious money (back in the days camera companies paid serious money for use).

BC

PS  CB is doing some seriously beautiful large format images and they are well worth looking at.   Like everything CB doesn't mess around jumping from the low board.  He goes to the top and dives in.

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2258 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:58 am »

bcooter

I know what you mean. I used to shoot 80% 8x10 and I loved it. Looking at the bright upside down image on the ground glass was quite amazing. (everything I did was lit in a blacked studio) All that beauty went away over the cost controls.

I really do not shoot people but one time long ago I got to shoot a beer campaign that had talent & beer. Sets built to look like an age old cottage. Lit in the studio for a soft summer forest light. A great talent who could actually hold the bottle in place over & over so none of the through the bottle reflectors could be seen or sweat was messed up. Beer with 100% real sweat, no chemical additives. 8x10 film under exposed a bit and pushed 2 1/2 stops for the look, not for lack of light.

The greatest CD to work with ever and a client brand manager who came to the studio, looked at a polaroid and said "love it. We don't need to see the full bottle label. Everyone will recognized it" then they left and never came back for the next 4 days of shooting 5 ad images. Dropped the film off a week after the shoot and the client personally called to say he loved it all.

This is one of ad images. Straight scan from 8x10 absolutely retouching or grading at all. Used for vertical billboards and bus stop posters. Only copy was "Molson Ex" in a bottom corner.

Basically a back in the day dream job.

bcooter

« Reply #2259 on: August 20, 2016, 02:13:04 pm »

Wonderful Image, really nice.  You can rarely reproduce this look in digital, regardless of format.  Wish we could, but . . . then again I wish we had a day a shot not 39 set ups a day.

Good job Brent.

BC

BTW: Great set direction and what I love about this it is obviously for commerce, but has a feel of reality.  I never would have guessed studio.  Good job 

bcooter

I know what you mean. I used to shoot 80% 8x10 and I loved it. Looking at the bright upside down image on the ground glass was quite amazing. (everything I did was lit in a blacked studio) All that beauty went away over the cost controls.

I really do not shoot people but one time long ago I got to shoot a beer campaign that had talent & beer. Sets built to look like an age old cottage. Lit in the studio for a soft summer forest light. A great talent who could actually hold the bottle in place over & over so none of the through the bottle reflectors could be seen or sweat was messed up. Beer with 100% real sweat, no chemical additives. 8x10 film under exposed a bit and pushed 2 1/2 stops for the look, not for lack of light.

The greatest CD to work with ever and a client brand manager who came to the studio, looked at a polaroid and said "love it. We don't need to see the full bottle label. Everyone will recognized it" then they left and never came back for the next 4 days of shooting 5 ad images. Dropped the film off a week after the shoot and the client personally called to say he loved it all.

This is one of ad images. Straight scan from 8x10 absolutely retouching or grading at all. Used for vertical billboards and bus stop posters. Only copy was "Molson Ex" in a bottom corner.

Basically a back in the day dream job.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 04:30:03 pm by bcooter »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 147   Go Up