Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1211814 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1560 on: December 25, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

The widest tech lens I use is the Schneider 35mm XL.  The Rodie 32 is also workable but nothing shorter than that.

So my current glass for the A7r are

Canon 17mm TS-E
Canon 24mm TS-E
Schneider 35mm f/5.6 Apo-Digitar XL
Schneider 43mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar XL
Rodenstock 55mm f/4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital
Rodenstock 70mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W
Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W
Schneider 110mm f/5.6 Super-Symmar XL
Rodenstock 135mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar Digital

LKaven

« Reply #1561 on: December 25, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »

The widest tech lens I use is the Schneider 35mm XL.  The Rodie 32 is also workable but nothing shorter than that.

So my current glass for the A7r are

Canon 17mm TS-E
Canon 24mm TS-E
Schneider 35mm f/5.6 Apo-Digitar XL
Schneider 43mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar XL
Rodenstock 55mm f/4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital
Rodenstock 70mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W
Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W
Schneider 110mm f/5.6 Super-Symmar XL
Rodenstock 135mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar Digital

Hey Chris, how does one mount and shutter-sync those technical camera lenses to your A7r?  Do you have an adapter that provides the full range of tilts and shifts (which I suppose would be the reason for using them)?

The 55mm Apo-Sironar, as an example, has a huge image circle...what would be the equivalent focal length on your camera?

DanielStone

« Reply #1562 on: December 26, 2014, 01:22:39 am »

Hey Chris, how does one mount and shutter-sync those technical camera lenses to your A7r?  Do you have an adapter that provides the full range of tilts and shifts (which I suppose would be the reason for using them)?

The 55mm Apo-Sironar, as an example, has a huge image circle...what would be the equivalent focal length on your camera?

Luke,
The focal length doesn't change anything, but the size of the sensor/film area DOES. The "wider" that sensor/film area(for any particular FL), the "wider" a lens will seem. Take for example a Schneider 150XL, which was designed to cover 8x10 film. A 150mm lens is VERY wide on 8x10, similar to a ~21-24mm lens' FOV on a 35mm camera system. But that same 150mm lens, when used on a 4x5 camera, will have a relatively "normal" FL representation, similar FOV to a 45-50mm lens on a 35mm camera. So Chris's 35XL will show the exact same FOV as a 35mm lens designed for a 35mm system, like Nikon or Canon. But the image circle on that 35XL will be VASTLY larger than the 35mm systems lens, since it's designed to cover MFD sized sensors, not just 24x36mm chips.

In terms of triggering the camera, assuming that one is using the central leaf shutter on the lens(and not the focal plane shutter in the body by itself to determine exposure duration), you could simply do the following operation:
1. Focus, while the leaf shutter is open.
2. Close leaf shutter.
3. Set shutter to desired aperture, shutter speed, etc.
4. Trigger camera to start an exposure in "Bulb"(or a desired preset exposure length, say 2-3sec?).
5. While the body's shutter is 'open'(but not recording any light due to the lens' shutter not being open), trigger the shutter on the lens, to allow the actual exposure to commence.
6. Shutter on lens closes/closed, end exposure on body.

It's a little more work than simply "push the button", but as you can see, it can be worth the extra effort.

However, if you want to use the internal shutter on the body to determine the exposure length, simply leave the lens's shutter OPEN(but set at the desired aperture for exposure), and shoot away, using the focal plane shutter to control the exposure length.

Versatile, and you get the "best of both worlds", IMO. Hi-end glass(some might say the best available to non-military or "unlimited budget" clientele ;) ), two options for shutters, and the ability to perform movements/distortion control/manipulation with EVERY lens in ones kit. This is important for architectural photographers, or those who simply want utter control of framing, without introducing distortion/keystoning. Or simply for flat-plane(vs. spherical) multi-frame stitching.

-Dan
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:27:16 am by DanielStone »

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #1563 on: December 26, 2014, 05:53:14 am »

Hey all, I should probably be posting an image here but I guess what I am asking is related, just navigates away from LL to my own site. (wouldn't want to bombard the forum with images  ;D ) I have updated my site recently with a few new images and a new format & I would love some constructive feedback. Please feel free to send me a personal message or email me instead of posting here.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the general usability of the site, blog and functionality of viewing the images. Secondly, any input on the images that I have chosen to represent my body of work would be nice. I have done my best to keep the style coherent and interesting. Whenever I look at other sites I am in the habit of picking out the images that I feel do not fit in or that bring the body of work down somewhat. If there are any images you feel do the same, please let fly, with reason of course. I would appreciate your feedback very much. Thanks so much in advance. D.

http://www.deanelliott.co.za/
Web: www.deanelliottstudio.com
Insta: @deanelliottstudio

LKaven

« Reply #1564 on: December 26, 2014, 06:59:30 am »

Luke, the focal length doesn't change anything, but the size of the sensor/film area DOES.

I was asking what the /effective/ focal length (or FOV if one prefers) of the lens would be on a 24x36 sensor.  I realize the focal length itself does not change, and realize the effects are due to the large image circle on a lens made for a medium-large format camera.

I was also asking what adapter, presumably allowing T/S, one would use with the A7r to mount this lens.  Is there something from Hartblei?

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #1565 on: December 26, 2014, 07:50:57 am »

Chris, I find this fascinating.

I shoot corporate and hotel interiors and have been using Canon up until now. With the distinct lack of progress on their part over the past few years (yawn!) I've been slowly considering moving to a MFDB. For you to say that for all practical purposes something as tiny and cheap as the A7r can hold it's own against a Phase back is fantastic.

How do you find it for tethered use on site, from what I've read C1/Capture Pilot doesn't have full control over it?

Also, which lenses around the 45-50mm range are a good pair with it?

Carsten W

Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1566 on: December 26, 2014, 04:39:54 pm »

I was asking what the /effective/ focal length (or FOV if one prefers) of the lens would be on a 24x36 sensor.  I realize the focal length itself does not change, and realize the effects are due to the large image circle on a lens made for a medium-large format camera.

So you are asking what the FF-equivalent is for a 55mm lens on an A7r? 55mm :/

Or do you mean with shifting/stitching?
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1567 on: December 26, 2014, 09:41:42 pm »

Owen,

C1 Pro had A7r file support shortly after the camera was introduced.  They added tethering with 8.0.  I just installed 8.1 which adds full camera control including live view to the laptop.  I like the Sk 43mm XL and the Rodie 55mm Apo-Sironar digital in that range.

CB

skimasks

• http://www.justinpoulsen.com
« Reply #1568 on: December 26, 2014, 10:16:56 pm »

Hey Chris,

Would love to see some examples of large/medium format glass image rendition/field of view on the A7r, if you ever got the chance. Always wondered how an A7r would react to the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. :)

Chris Barrett

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:49:43 pm by Chris Barrett »

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #1570 on: December 26, 2014, 11:01:02 pm »

Owen,

C1 Pro had A7r file support shortly after the camera was introduced.  They added tethering with 8.0.  I just installed 8.1 which adds full camera control including live view to the laptop.  I like the Sk 43mm XL and the Rodie 55mm Apo-Sironar digital in that range.

CB

How about camera controls with Capture Pilot an and Ipad or Iphone?
Craig Lamson Photo

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #1571 on: December 27, 2014, 02:36:21 am »

Thanks Chris. I remember seeing those threads a little while ago but had planned on waiting for Canon to do something (...anything!). Just popped out and got an A7r, although metabones adaptors are out of stock here in Thailand so will have to play with Sony's 35mm 2.8 until one arrives. Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Sorry for briefly turning this giant thread about art into another gadget discussion!

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1572 on: December 27, 2014, 09:52:24 am »

Drag, there doesn't seem to be Capture Pilot camera control yet.  Camera shows up in CP but adjustments and shutter are greyed out.  Strange they haven't implemented that yet.  Owen, I happen to have a new/unopened Metabones Canon adapter that's been sitting on the shelf since I got the camera.  I ordered two by mistake and never bothered returning it.  PM me if interested.

Image from last week's shoot to get things back on track...  A7r, Arca M2, Rodenstock 70mm

Godot is waiting

« Reply #1573 on: December 27, 2014, 04:33:02 pm »

As a longtime and thankful reader of the medium format sub forum I thought to post one of my recent shots, which was one of my favorites this year.

It is part of a series for an agency image campaign. For the photoshoot we went up 11'614 feet on a small and very windy surface before sunrise to catch the sun crossing the edge of the alps. Which is one element of the whole series, beside the two people. Quite impressive, climbing up there in the helicopter, when it is dark, close to the steep mountains...

The other ones are the output of the second set-up, in which we told the second pilot to play around like James Bond…

I hope you enjoy. I did, even it was very cold and windy up there.

Regards

Godot

LKaven

Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1574 on: December 27, 2014, 05:08:01 pm »

So you are asking what the FF-equivalent is for a 55mm lens on an A7r? 55mm :/

Or do you mean with shifting/stitching?

I mean this question taking the size of the image circle into account.  [I know that a 55mm is always a 55mm.]  A 100mm FX lens will yield a view equivalent to 150mm on a DX camera, with much of the image circle falling outside the sensor.  What is the equivalent of, for example, the Sironar 55 large format lens on a 24x36 sensor, given that most of its image circle falls outside the sensor?  More than that, I was trying to get a sense of Chris' overall setup with the A7r.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1575 on: December 27, 2014, 05:14:35 pm »

Well here is the setup in a nutshell...

A7r body on an Arca-Swiss M2 with various German lenses on the front.  I've been procrastinating an in-depth review forever (with video) and plan to work on that over the holiday break...
As usual, I'm happy to answer any more specific questions.

CB

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #1576 on: December 27, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »

Lovely set up Chris.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #1577 on: December 27, 2014, 05:43:57 pm »

Lovely image here Chris,  tones/composition etc.

Approx a 4x5 ratio by the looks of it.  Cropped, or stitched?

A
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

LKaven

« Reply #1578 on: December 27, 2014, 06:25:46 pm »

Well here is the setup in a nutshell...

A7r body on an Arca-Swiss M2 with various German lenses on the front.  I've been procrastinating an in-depth review forever (with video) and plan to work on that over the holiday break...
As usual, I'm happy to answer any more specific questions.

Nice setup!  I'm curious what equivalent field-of-view you get out of those large-format lenses, in 35mm terms?

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1579 on: December 27, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »

Luke, field of view doesn't change at all.  My Schneider 35mm yields the same field of view as my Sony Zeiss 35mm... if I understand your question correctly.  So let's say I start super-wide... that'd be my Canon 17mm TS-e and then think I want to go a little longer, so I move to the Canon 24mm TS-e.  Then, finally, I realize I could still go a little tighter so I use the Schneider 35mm.  It's a totally even incremental jump even though the first two lenses were designed for 35mm and the third for medium format.

If you're talking about maximizing the larger image circles, that would involve shifting and stitching, and then yeah you could get a wider field of view with the Schneider 35mm than something like a Nikon 35mm PC which has much less shift available.

That answer your question?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 147   Go Up