Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1208732 times)

LKaven

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1680 on: March 06, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »

Chris, I believe that "exclusion" has been around for years. Nothing new then.

We've lost too many talented contributors to this forum recently including the very sad news last week. Please keep the images coming regardless of format.

I'm going to miss Simon terribly.  I almost think that the D800/D810 contributors should still be allowed here out of commemorative respect. 

It's worth remembering too that some of the early MFDBs were 24x36, such as the Leaf Valeo 6.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1681 on: March 06, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »

Hi,

I feel that LuLa has always been an open forum. I really hate those MFD, 4/3 or whatever threads. I cannot post this great image because it was taken on the wrong format, BS on my mind.

Chris, your postings have always been appreciated. Sharing experience is always great! You are making great images in a very commercial environment. Now, many of us live in a different world. Just as an example, insurances/travel may be a great problem for an amateur.

I hope that you carry on sharing your experience, whatever equipment you use. Because we can learn from that experience.

Best regards
Erik

I just noticed the 35mm exclusion update to the forum.  Naturally, that was always implied merely by the title of the category.  Many of us would skirt the line, posting multiple formats because we valued the opinions of those who frequent this thread.  I respect the recent decision, think it makes sense and hopefully will see the end to all the pointless format bickering.  This happens to come at the same time as I am transitioning most of my work to the A7r, though, so I won't really be posting images here anymore.  I'll still check in and offer advice where I can.

Cheers,
CB
Erik Kaffehr

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #1682 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »

Medium format is just a state of mind, regardless of the camera you use. :P
This is so good!
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

BobDavid

« Reply #1683 on: March 07, 2015, 06:28:12 pm »

I'm going to miss Simon terribly.  I almost think that the D800/D810 contributors should still be allowed here out of commemorative respect. 

It's worth remembering too that some of the early MFDBs were 24x36, such as the Leaf Valeo 6.

My first MFDB was a 36 X36 Imacon Ixpress 384c multi-shot back (16 MP 1, 4-shot, and 16-shot back) . My Oly EM-5 II produces better files. Go figure.

egor

« Reply #1684 on: March 08, 2015, 11:20:01 am »

My first MFDB was a 36 X36 Imacon Ixpress 384c multi-shot back (16 MP 1, 4-shot, and 16-shot back) . My Oly EM-5 II produces better files. Go figure.

Thats it! Thank you, Bob. I have been racking my brain trying to remember my 1st foray into MFD and that was it. I owned that exact same camera, the Imacon Ixpress 384c. I remember the 16-pop shots produced an "unbelievably huge massive" 16MP true-color image! I still have the imprint on my retina of 2000ws strobes going pop! pop! pop!......Thanks for the memory! :)

NickT

« Reply #1685 on: March 08, 2015, 03:03:43 pm »

Actually in 16 shot mode the 384 produces 64MP files which are 384MB in 16 bit, hence the name of the unit.

And even my 6MP 3020 produced better files (in 4-shot) than my 5d2 did. Not so sure compared to the D810.

gazwas

« Reply #1686 on: March 08, 2015, 03:25:18 pm »

I would love to contribute to this section of the forum however I got out of MFD last year so never thought it appropriate to post any images here. To be honest I am cluless to the format etiquette in this forum as I see many Nikon and Sony photographers post images here inspite of the 35mm exclusion? IMO this is the most interesting topic in this forum of late and I feel it would have an even greater number of contributors if we all knew the rules?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:28:01 pm by gazwas »
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #1687 on: March 08, 2015, 03:33:17 pm »

I just noticed the 35mm exclusion update to the forum.  Naturally, that was always implied merely by the title of the category.  Many of us would skirt the line, posting multiple formats because we valued the opinions of those who frequent this thread.  I respect the recent decision, think it makes sense and hopefully will see the end to all the pointless format bickering.  This happens to come at the same time as I am transitioning most of my work to the A7r, though, so I won't really be posting images here anymore.  I'll still check in and offer advice where I can.

Cheers,
CB

I think that the transition of a photographer such as Chris to a small-format back is really telling. In the days of film, there was a much clearer distinction between the different formats. With digital, especially recently, the distinction between medium and small format has become much less distinct for many applications, hence the frequent comparisons between the formats. Of course the Internet has given more people more forums to express their opinions as well.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1688 on: March 08, 2015, 03:46:33 pm »

I would love to contribute to this section of the forum however I got out of MFD last year so never thought it appropriate to post any images here. To be honest I am cluless to the format etiquette in this forum as I see many Nikon and Sony photographers post images here inspite of the 35mm exclusion? IMO this is the most interesting topic in this forum of late and I feel it would have an even greater number of contributors if we all knew the rules?

We had a debate in this very thread about a year ago and most people didn't' seem to mind occasional inclusion of smaller formats, as long as they were done as a professional work, or at least by a known professional.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #1689 on: March 08, 2015, 05:48:22 pm »

I think that the transition of a photographer such as Chris to a small-format back is really telling. In the days of film, there was a much clearer distinction between the different formats. With digital, especially recently, the distinction between medium and small format has become much less distinct for many applications, hence the frequent comparisons between the formats. Of course the Internet has given more people more forums to express their opinions as well.

The smaller the distinctions, the more fiercely people have to defend their equipment (on both sides of the format divide)  :)

Portra 400, CZJ 180mm, Pentacon Six.

Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1690 on: March 12, 2015, 09:45:56 am »

The large spaces are fun and glamorous and offer so many options with what you can do with composition, lighting, staging, and so on, but there is nothing quite like walking into a tiny room (in this case about 8x10 feet) and at the end of it being able to say, "nailed it!" 

Shot this yesterday. 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #1691 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:41 am »

The large spaces are fun and glamorous and offer so many options with what you can do with composition, lighting, staging, and so on, but there is nothing quite like walking into a tiny room (in this case about 8x10 feet) and at the end of it being able to say, "nailed it!" 

Shot this yesterday. 

Nice.

Looks like you are having fun creating your own "sunlight".  Small spaces are a challenge to be sure, but it's all I ever shoot.  I earned my wings shooting conversion van interiors decades ago, after that everything looked big.
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1692 on: March 12, 2015, 09:33:15 pm »

Nice.

Looks like you are having fun creating your own "sunlight".  Small spaces are a challenge to be sure, but it's all I ever shoot.  I earned my wings shooting conversion van interiors decades ago, after that everything looked big.

Thank you Craig. 

And you sure do shoot some small space.  I see some of your images and say, "no thank you."  Often I wonder, how did they shoot these things with 4x5s before having live view.  I am all about ground glass, but when backed into a corner?

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1693 on: March 12, 2015, 10:27:14 pm »

Thank you Craig. 

And you sure do shoot some small space.  I see some of your images and say, "no thank you."  Often I wonder, how did they shoot these things with 4x5s before having live view.  I am all about ground glass, but when backed into a corner?

It's a profitable little niche, pun intended.  It's all model year stuff, most of the images are useless after a year and then we shoot them all over again.  The market has changed, conversion vans are mostly gone, the boat industry took a huge hit in 08, but we are going gang busters in the rv business.

There are a lot of shots I get today that never happened with 4x5.  Today I often back the camera hard against a wall, in the good old days you had to leave room for your head ;)
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris Livsey

« Reply #1694 on: March 13, 2015, 03:42:33 am »

in the good old days you had to leave room for your head ;)

I once saw a dentist's mirror used  ;)

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1695 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:51 pm »

We had semi live view....Polaroid type 55.
Craig Lamson Photo

Garry Sarre

• Photography by Sarre
« Reply #1696 on: March 14, 2015, 02:56:56 am »

Amazing interiors/exteriors on here. I used to do it all the time back in the film days. Lotsa F22 work onto film with the Blad or 5x4. But you guys are amazing. I'm strictly portraiture these days.

Here's a low res using the H5D, which surprisingly, has come into its own for me producing miniscule web files for corporate portraiture. Lovely natural colour that the dslrs can't get. Seems a waste of megs to start with a 270mb 16bit tif only to send of a 2 meg one.

Portrait Photographer and printer

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1697 on: March 20, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »

Here two more from that same interesting hotel, albeit at the other more toned-down location.  Once again, they wanted bright and open but still maintaining the style.  Since it was more toned down, we did more overall fill with little key lighting. 

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1698 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »

Here two more from that same interesting hotel, albeit at the other more toned-down location.  Once again, they wanted bright and open but still maintaining the style.  Since it was more toned down, we did more overall fill with little key lighting. 

Do you ever use a polarizer to try and control reflections?
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1699 on: March 20, 2015, 08:09:07 pm »

Do you ever use a polarizer to try and control reflections?

I do, but I find without cross polarizing, it does nothing with glass.  Only reduces the glare by half.  

With wood though, I use polarizers all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 147   Go Up