Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream 2.  (Read 833 times)

Sanggay

Stream 2.
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:50:03 am »

I posted this stream sometime back. I revisited this stream early in the morning today.
I shot at the same spot but from a different angle. This time I used a faster shutter speed at 1/2s.
On the 2nd shot I placed a leaf on the rock to make the foreground more interesting.
Any thoughts?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Stream 2.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:42 pm »

Both work for me, though perhaps I like to framing of the first a little better. But let's see what the "pros" have to say; they've been teaching me a bunch.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:55 am »

I'm not a pro and I struggle with this kind of subject matter all the time!

You come across something that attracts you and you want to make an image but so often it is a scene like this with interesting elements but unless you can capture the objects in some kind of pleasing order or arrangement or you focus on a definite object of interest, you will not get a memorable image. I think great photos of this kind of scene require the photographer to make some kind of order out of the disparate elements in the scene. Adding a leaf just adds another item to the chaos you are trying to work with.

The leaf is particularly unwelcome, in my opinion, because it has introduced specular highlights which are distracting, especially as you managed the exposure of the running water to avoid those distractions.

One way to tame lots of objects is to include only a few in the frame, probably, easiest with one. Here, you have the flowing water in the background, the rock with attractive plants in the foreground, all the rocks and water in between and . . . your leaf. Most of the objects are scattered randomly in the frame and there is not much connection between them. Except there is a connection between the green plants and . . . your leaf—they are all in the same boulder!

So, I would go back and try to isolate one object or find an arrangement that brings some kind of order. Otherwise, you end up with a random image (irrespective of the time you spent focussing and checking the exposure) and random views seldom make for good viewing.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:24 am »

Depth of field is tricky with these kinds of images but I think the bias, towards the foreground, is the way to go here.
Good effort.

Tony Jay

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:39:39 am »

Tony is on the money - depth of field is key and I find myself wishing there was more as the image gets soft very quickly.

Out of curiosity - what is with that dead leaf? it looks huge!
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

Any thoughts?

This is a lovely scene but I get the feeling that you need to get closer to the flow of the water and find a composition there. With the foliage in the foreground the river feels like an afterthought to me and it should perhaps be the focus of the photo rather. You need to get your feet wet Sanggay :)

Sanggay

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »

Thanks all for your critiques. I am not satisfied with the results I am getting from that morning shoots. I was there too early, lighting was pretty low. I will choose a better time on my next visit. I'll keep your feedback in mind hope to get better results.

Pages: [1]   Go Up