Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Age passed  (Read 828 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Age passed
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:30:28 pm »

Here are a colour and a black and white image of the same shot. Which do you prefer, assuming you like either? All critiques welcome!

I am having trouble getting a sharp scan off this 6x12 negative but I quite like the apparent softness.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Age passed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:41:52 am »

Here are a colour and a black and white image of the same shot. Which do you prefer, assuming you like either? All critiques welcome!

I prefer the B&W. That said, I don't think there's enough of interest in the right-hand half of the shot to justify the enormous area of blocked-up black in the upper part of the large tree. I'd be inclined to crop it just to the left of the large trunk.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:40:02 am »

I agree with Jeremy except for the part about a crop. Better solution: get on out there and let's see what the cabin looks like.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

nemo295

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:42:06 am »

I don't think cropping will help this shot. I do think the scene demands a re-shoot, because it looks like a great setting.

Also, was this scanned from a film original? Your Epson scanning software is adding some pretty severe halos. You might want to ease off on the compression a bit.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »

Thank you for your views.

The shot comes from an Epson V700 scan of a Linhof 612 negative. I, too, questioned whether the cottage at the right should be included but thought that it repeated the motif of the house on the left and added value to the very dark tree area. The image, including the softness, reminded me of paintings by the English painter Constable but obviously too much wishful thinking!

I am not v happy with my scanning. I have trouble deciding if the film is in focus (I use bits of cardboard to maintain the film in what I think is the focus plane).

I have tried reshooting but have never got the same soft moody lighting.

I will keep trying!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up