Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum etiquette—keep calm and carry on  (Read 26307 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Forum etiquette—keep calm and carry on
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:49 am »

There is a cause to this furor over critique, and it is very simple - me. I'm different, and different here is bad. I write critiques that are longer than a Tweet, and I don't give obeisance to characters because they demand it.

. . . brings to mind two of the worst dangers in art - emulation and assumption of rules. And I thank you for presenting me the opportunity to say something about them. Emulation is deadly to anyone seeking their truth through art. To grab a forerunner's style, and assume it is a standard by which your own truth must conform, will kill the enterprise before it even begins. Whatever CBs truths were as he snapped his shutter are not my truths. His life is not my life. If art is life, how can I adopt his?

I finally got time to go back and scan this treatise.

ROTFL.

I can't count the number of times during the ten years my wife had her gallery that some kid wearing the same jeans everybody else in his age group wore, growing the same facial hair every male in his age group grew, would come in and plop down some atrocity and tell me that it was sure to sell so fast we wouldn't be able to keep it in stock. Faced with a suggestion that he might want to go over to the local community college for a while and learn something about art he'd be sure to say, perhaps not in so many words, but in essence, this:

"I'm different! I don't need to learn anything about any dead guy's art. I'm unique and I'm creative. I've been unique and creative since I was born. My folks always told me that, and my teachers did too. In grade school I won a bunch of awards. Everybody in my class won a bunch of awards, so it's pretty clear it was a class of geniuses. And, of course, I was at the top of my class of geniuses. So this art work will sell for sure."

Every time I think of that period I find myself ROTFL.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 11:37:10 am »

EDIT: Just after finishing this post, I look and see that Slobodan is now using cyberstalking to attempt to intimidate Roger, and I presume that I am next since he as concocted a conspiracy theory connecting us. REF: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=75336.20

This feud has just taken a huge leap into illegal activity. Cyberstalking is against the law in all 50 US states, and I would assume many other countries too. Roger already offered that he did not want to give out his name, and in spite of that reasonable request, Slobodan proudly searched it out and issued the not very veiled threat that "anything was a few clicks away." I take that as a threat directly to me.

Ah, so who is making false accusations? Dare I say the words: slandering a fellow forum member. Again, quoting your own words. I spent many hours sitting with parents, students and attorneys trying to decipher whether a cyberstalking incident had taken place or was it cyberbullying. I think I have a pretty clear image of what it takes to discern if said communication was a directed threat or just schoolkid nonsense. Slobodan's figures still hold true today. However, all those stats compiled, I can only recall two incidences out of 50 or more where it was proven a student was being bullied or stalked and both resulted in hand slaps by the judge b ecause it was so hard to tell if actual emotional or physical damage occured.

"For the record, Roger's full name has been revealed in his own posts, by himself, for quite some time. One has only to check "Show the last posts for this person," a button provided by the forum software."

I am sure before all is said and done I will come to more conclusions, but two observations about you are humorous, to say the least.

One, you can't paint because you don't understand the concept of an underpainting, thus you turned to photography as an outlet. I am sure you are a better photographer than a painter, but I suspect only marginally so.

Two, I suspect from your language usage, and it is quite good, you were either a philosophy/humanities teacher or taught English. I also suspect you bored your students and colleagues to death when they asked you to explain the word: brevity.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:40:11 am by Chris Calohan »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:25 am »

I finally got time to go back and scan this treatise.

ROTFL.

I can't count the number of times during the ten years my wife had her gallery that some kid wearing the same jeans everybody else in his age group wore, growing the same facial hair every male in his age group grew, would come in and plop down some atrocity and tell me that it was sure to sell so fast we wouldn't be able to keep it in stock. Faced with a suggestion that he might want to go over to the local community college for a while and learn something about art he'd be sure to say, perhaps not in so many words, but in essence, this:

"I'm different! I don't need to learn anything about any dead guy's art. I'm unique and I'm creative. I've been unique and creative since I was born. My folks always told me that, and my teachers did too. In grade school I won a bunch of awards. Everybody in my class won a bunch of awards, so it's pretty clear it was a class of geniuses. And, of course, I was at the top of my class of geniuses. So this art work will sell for sure."

Every time I think of that period I find myself ROTFL.

Henri,

So close, huh? Well, except that I have never expressed any interest in making and selling crafts in your wife's store, or any other. Nor, is this a vetting jury here. Nor, have I ever made a single claim about being a genius, or all the other little canned tropes you have tossed into your over-rehearsed jibberish salad there. You're just a rude old man pretending to be something you are not, and you've found a contingent of willing fops to stroke your illusions. Sorry, there's nothing scary behind your curtain, only pathetic old grouch.

RSL

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:07 am »

Thanks for confirming and emphasizing my statement, RG.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:04 am »

Thanks for confirming and emphasizing my statement, RG.
You are ever so welcome, Henri.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

I also suspect you bored your students and colleagues to death when they asked you to explain the word: brevity.
+100.    :D  :D  :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2013, 12:58:46 pm »

I am going to move a response from the Volumes Thread to here as it is far more appropriate and I don't want to hijack a thread.

"We even have guys posting pictures of wet parking lots, so don't be worried that your photos aren't "good enough.""

This comes from a guy who posted a picture of a pink Mercury behind a chainlink fence which had large blue barrels dominating the color scheme? Credibility, RG; where's your credibility?

My wet parking lot is far superior to the snapshot of your pink mercury.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

dmerger

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2013, 02:59:45 pm »

I guess I'm not surprised. Try reading it again.

Thanks for the confirmation, Russ.  ::)
Dean Erger

RSL

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

You're welcome. You might want to work on reading comprehension a bit more.

dmerger

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:49 pm »

Thanks for the tip, Russ.  It's just the type of mature comment I've learned to expect from you.
Dean Erger

RSL

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2013, 03:14:10 pm »

Again, you're welcome Dean. I hope you'll take it to heart.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »

I have never done this before, never put anyone on my ignore list (never had one either). I am afraid I must admit the "terrorist won," and I am defeated. I will, therefore, neither see nor respond to anything written by RedwoodGuy and Roger.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »

I just joined you in that endeavor. It's not for exactly the same reason but by and large, I have a very hard time dealing with inanity at any level and you guys are the very kings of inanity. Bye-bye Mark & Roger.

Now a word from our sponsor: Brevity, the elixir of true wordsmiths.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »

Alas I too have grown tired of this and so I have joined you both.

Dave

Photo Op

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »

...and I am defeated. I will, therefore, neither see nor respond to anything written by RedwoodGuy and Roger.

No,No,No! That's exactly what he wants. Before long there will be only one person commenting........but the volume won't go down! And, my bet would be that even IF you refrain from commenting on his posts, he can't help but comment on yours.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:21:44 pm by Photo Op »
David

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2013, 05:26:27 pm »

He can comment all day long but we won't see it. When he realizes he has no audience, he'll likely fade away.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:52 pm »

Alas I too have grown tired of this and so I have joined you both.

Dave
Count me in as well.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:10 am »

I think they are probably sophisticated trolls. Their posts hint of educated people so ignorance isn't an excuse. As long as Michael allows it they will continue posting. I think this thread will be locked soon and I haven't hit the Report to moderator button. Someone will no doubt. :(

dmerger

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:04 am »

Hmm .....I have read the posts of Stamper, Russ, Slobodan, Rob, Chris, and Eric, and I find it rather remarkable that so many posters in the same thread have thoughts and a writing style that is very similar. All like to avoid detail and explain their thoughts cryptically. The coincidence is remarkable. If I am wrong to draw attention to this and there isn't a connection between them, then I am apologising to the posters. Now where is the dictionary so I can find the definition of alter ego?   ;)
Dean Erger

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:34 am »

Dean, your sense of humor is so... laughable!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up