Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the perfect landscape photography support vehicle?  (Read 72063 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: What is the perfect landscape photography support vehicle?
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »

I have taken many photos out of the subaru moonroof. It isn't exactly comfortable, but it works and it doesn't spook the birds as much as getting out of the car.

I took this pic out of the roof of my forester. Remember to turn the engine off.  It is impossible to get sharp telephoto shots with the engine running. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailpixie/4323354821/in/set-72157623834758040/lightbox/
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

tived

• http://
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »

Guys,
I am not saying you shouldn't have a roof tent, only to pay attention to the max load capacity of your particular roof.

It's entirely you own decision what you do

Safe journey :-)

Henrik

NancyP

Re: Moonroof photo
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2013, 01:22:11 pm »

Nice shot, Fike/Trailpixie. I particularly like the floating down feather undoubtedly just preened away.

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:33 am »

I think a port like a moon roof in my van would be quite useful. I also drive a dodge diesel pu a lot. I love that truck but you can't get it within half a mile of any wildlife so I'll would not consier that diesel as much a "support" vehicle unless you plan to hike a distance from it. It's a great road trip vehicle with 1600 miles of range and hauls a ton of gear and tows my little Casita camper perfectly but it can't sneak up on the dead... (-:}

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:34:58 am by arlon »
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

telyt

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2013, 12:43:48 am »

... I also drive a dodge diesel pu a lot. I love that truck but you can't get it within half a mile of any wildlife

Wildlife using my 2002 Dodge diesel as a blind:

If you want to talk about maneuvering the rig on narrow forest roads I'll take something smaller any day.

NancyP

Lovely view of the eagle's tonsils!
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:03 pm »

That's a great Bald Eagle photo.

Subaru is going to have an XV Crosstrek hybrid vehicle in September. I am not sure how I feel about hybrid and all-wheel drive.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: Lovely view of the eagle's tonsils!
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:42 pm »

That's a great Bald Eagle photo.

Subaru is going to have an XV Crosstrek hybrid vehicle in September. I am not sure how I feel about hybrid and all-wheel drive.

One nice side-benefit of photography from a hybrid will be that the engine will turn off when the car comes to a stop.  I am always annoyed when I screech to a halt alongside some sketchy rural highway to quickly photograph a hawk or owl and I forget to turn the engine off.  I snap off a few shots and realize that the engine is still running, destroying any sharpness I might hope to get with my telephoto lens.  I then have to turn the engine off and try again.  Then the bird flutters away 200 yards down the road. Start the engine...drive down the road...turn the engine off and repeat the cycle.  Hybrids will be much better for photographers in this regard.

telyt

Re: Lovely view of the eagle's tonsils!
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2013, 07:43:59 pm »

... Hybrids will be much better for photographers in this regard.

+1!!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2013, 12:22:00 pm »

The Mercedes Sprinter is still Landscape Photography Suppor Vehicle King, IMHO.  Here I am on the Burr Trail last month, browsing the web at 4G on my iPad mini. For landscape photographers, you just can't beat these accommodations. : )

My month-long, 10,000 km photoadventure took me to six western states.  My hotel bill was zero.  My fuel bill, however, was non-zero. : )  Even at nearly 30 mpg, I burned a lot of diesel.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2013, 12:36:04 pm »

The Mercedes Sprinter is still Landscape Photography Suppor Vehicle King, IMHO.  Here I am on the Burr Trail last month, browsing the web at 4G on my iPad mini. For landscape photographers, you just can't beat these accommodations. : )

My month-long, 10,000 km photoadventure took me to six western states.  My hotel bill was zero.  My fuel bill, however, was non-zero. : )  Even at nearly 30 mpg, I burned a lot of diesel.

That's a nice Sprinter setup you've got there.  Is it a stock Sprinter, or did you get some sort of conversion done for sleeping accommodations and water?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2013, 12:45:31 pm »

All DIY.  Probably less than $1K invested in the interior.

100 litres of water, propane stove, icebox, major sound insulation, good stereo, LED lighting, single bunk.  Visitors sleep on the floor. : )

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »

All DIY.  Probably less than $1K invested in the interior.

100 litres of water, propane stove, icebox, major sound insulation, good stereo, LED lighting, single bunk.  Visitors sleep on the floor. : )

That is fantastic. Do you have any pictures of your interior projects. I have been considering something similar.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2013, 02:07:01 pm »

This thread on Sprinter-Forum outlines the first steps I took from the bare van.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14166&highlight=Frito%27s+Bulkhead

It was a noxious environment at first - like driving a circus drum.  Now, Frito is Merc quiet. An absolute delight to drive on the open road.

B-Ark

« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:31 pm »

I'm quite surprised that the Burr trail has reasonable wireless reception. And here I thought that it was 'wilderness'  ;-)
That does look cozy in the Sprinter

Peter McLennan

« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »

I bought an AT&T data plan, thus beginning my first experience with that storied corporation.  Service was generally satisfactory, sometimes extremely annoying and sometimes amazing.  Messages and emails would arrive in the darnedest locations, sometimes in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of the night.  Elevation and atmospherics seemed to be the controlling variables.

Frito is delightfully cozy, even in a Walmart campground. :)

fredjeang2

« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2013, 07:34:51 pm »

HA!  LOL'd, Fred.

tsjanik

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2013, 08:42:19 pm »

This thread on Sprinter-Forum outlines the first steps I took from the bare van.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14166&highlight=Frito%27s+Bulkhead

It was a noxious environment at first - like driving a circus drum.  Now, Frito is Merc quiet. An absolute delight to drive on the open road.

I just read your thread in the link.  Great story and you do have a wonderful workshop  (did I see an old VW Westphalia in the window?)   :D

Peter McLennan

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2013, 10:25:17 am »

Thanks, tsjanik.  It's fun way to pass the long, dark Canadian winter.  Yes, that's a VW outside.  I thought it would be my Landscape Photography Support Vehicle, but Frito is a far better solution.  VW is now for sale. :(

NancyP

Re: Frito
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2013, 11:17:23 am »

I can't quite see myself commuting in a large panel van (tight fit in parking garage?), but it does look very cozy for long trips. Bravo for best use of long winter.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up