Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon mount lens board?  (Read 2291 times)

torger

Canon mount lens board?
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:28:58 am »

I'm thinking it would be fun to try out some Canon lenses with my digital back, without having to get an HCAM or Alpa FPS. The idea is mainly to use the TS-E 24mm (which I already own for my Canon system) with my Aptus 75 back on my Linhof Techno to get access to an ultra-wide without having to shell out a lot of money for a Digaron-S 23mm or similar.

So some sort of lens board with a Canon lens mount would be a good start. Is there such a thing? I guess one problem is the electronic aperture control...

gebseng

Re: Canon mount lens board?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:07 am »

… I guess the main problem would be the missing shutter? Or would you only use it indoors with exposures longer than a few seconds, so that you could use the lens cap instead?

best, geb

torger

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:12 am »

Yes of course you're right, doh! Did not really think of that obvious thing :o, but as I was thinking about testing out long exposures of nighttime skies the lens cap thing would actually work.

gebseng

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:21:28 am »

I guess you could buy this adapter: http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft and try to mount it on a technika board? I thought about doing this some time ago, but alas did not overcome the missing shutter problem.

best, geb

gebseng

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:43 am »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:30:56 pm »

...and you also need something to trigger the back with...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:11:37 pm »

This is all theoretically possible. But if it's anything other than an academic endeavor I'd suggest against it.

You can attach the lens to a Canon, hold down the DOF-preview button and drop the battery to stick the aperture at a given f-stop.* That works around the lack of an electronic aperture interface on the view camera. Obviously having to put the lens on a separate body any time you want to change apertures is not very convenient.

You can trigger the back using a wakeup cable. The catch is there can't be any light reaching the sensor when the exposure ends so you'll have to put a lens cap, black cloth, or other light-blocker in front of the lens before ending the exposure. In practice this is only smooth in exposures longer than 2 seconds.

So, as you can see it is not impossible. But I'd suggest a Rodenstock 23HR or an HCam or Alpa FPS would be a much more practical path.

*I can NOT vouch for what damage/degradation/wear-tear this has on the lens other than to say I have done this on my own gear many times without issue.

torger

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:40:39 am »

Cool, thanks for the tips. It would be "just for fun" using gear I already have, not for any serious stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up